Grindhouse

Moesly_Armlis

Take the settings and make it as hard as possible. Didn't think this was going to be possible and tried many times. Discovering (Jeb's rocket veered off course and by sheer luck and kerbal) that surface samples can be taken at the VAB makes me wonder that it might be possible after all to get out of this damned dirty hole. Contracts are the only thing that keeps this rickety boat afloat and science seems to drive them. It looked grim because the funds were dissappearing and without any new contracts it seemed improbable. Now there is a glimmer of hope for these krazy kerbals. Now to see were else we can (funds prohibitive) grind out SCIENCE!

HAPPY

Science (is gathering science from each building a new feature ?)

Happy Daze Collection:

Happy1

Science at 5.2; Funds at 2940; rep -999

Happy2

Science at 9.1; Funds at 4049; rep -900

Happy3

Science at 21.4; Funds at 12300; rep -883

Happy4a

Science at 8.7; Funds at 8101; rep -860

Happy4b

Science at 10.8; Funds at 12722; rep -833

Happy4c

Science at 11.4; Funds at 22005; rep -731

Edited by MoeslyArmlis
Happy DAze Collection

Here are the results for my first grind. Managed to gather all the sites that are close. Unlocked Basic Rocketry. Launched three SRB's with mystery goo. First towards the shore (lowest fuel, 58 power). Second in the water (second fuel tick and 58 power). Unlocked Survival. Third SRB increased fuel to 3/4 and power at 58 and flew over KSC to the grasslands and reached over 7000 m. Got lucky with the tundra. Theese are the pictures HappyDazeFirst. Now what am I do to with all the funds? Still have contracts to complete but will need those parts.

After burning some midnight oil, launched 3 more missions featuring the RT-10. Gene has contract for 11000 m and that went superb , even got some mystery goo experiment done on the grassland (dont know why I did'nt screenshot). Another contract to 22000 m and throw in a sepretron contract just for a little mix. This mission it will be a two stage rocket and losing the bottom stage to the ground is fun to watch but right now that hurts the pocketbook. Success and more science from the highlands. Now the next contract is for 34000 m and looks like the BACC Solid booster would be the more cost effective choice (if just completing the 34000 m contract alone) . The problems now are should escape the atmosphere and get to orbit contracts be completed along with. This would mean adding second stage RT-10 booster (now which one to save (BACC better recovery $) and which to crash and burn).

Just wasnt sure if this painfully Hard game mode was going to be progressing but heres another Update (think this needs to be moved to Missions). It took some time but I had to break down and start using KER which was kept to calculate dv and TWR. This vessel could have had the landing girders and wouldnt have lost the LV-909, but wanted to make sure orbit was established and Jeb was coming home. Look at all that beatiful miniscual science from low orbit now its at 21.4 and can unlock either General Rocketry or Stability. Only one contract but once the tech tier unlocks there will be more. And the Funds, oh wow I have 12300. But the Rep is gaining now up to -883!

Spent science on General Rocketry and no new contracts were generated. So lets go for BACC and LV-T45 engine tests along with TT-38K Radial Decoupler and TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer. Here on HappyDaze4a, failure rears its ugly head and grins and hiccups. Right from the start I was looking straight at failure, because the TT-38K would not have fired off, needed to switch the staging to before decoupling from the TT18-A. Even though there were no major problems the more concerning failure was using the staging button instead of using action group binding to toggle the engines on and then using the staging to complete the contract for the LV-T45 engines. Also improper throttle setting, set much to high. Not a total loss, two contracts completed and more science and reputation is accelerating.

Prev- Science at 21.4; Funds at 12300; rep -883

Now - Science at 8.7; Funds at 8101; rep -860

Now onto HappyDaze4b and to get the experiments right and look now more contracts. Science data from around Kerbin space. Now that gets me to pondering. Where did the Funds go? Oh yeah, forgot to recover those standing engines. Now to complete some contracts. Both the BACC Solid Fuel Booster and LV-T45 engines are completed. More science with observation of mystery goo in upper atmosphere. Now for a gentle soft landing with one nosecone parachute and two exploding landing/RT10 gear.

Unable to get into space so maybe next time we are going to complete the experiment to tell whether if Kerbin is round or an oblate spheriod for Ionic Symphonic Protonic Electronics.

Prev - Science at 8.7; Funds at 8101 ; rep -860

Funds (12763 after debris recovery)

Now - Science at 10; Funds at 12722; rep -833

So now in HappyDaze4c Jeb will find out what why all of the months of centrifugal testing was needed. First get to orbit and throw a contract in for the ride. Once in space and approaching an apoapsis of 74000 m back to KSC and visit Gene and see what contract is available. Oh looky a contract for science data from space around Kerbin, good thing Jeb is there now. Contract should be completed once the telemetry is sent but doesnt and is completed right at the begining of transmission (upsetting inner kerbal). Obtain orbit and back to KSC and visit Gene and see what contract is available. No need to guess. Of course it is science data from space around Kerbin.

With contracts for science data from space around Kerbin and a cheap rockect we grind for reputation. It might not make front page news, but its a proper job and it needs doing. Seems a bit of an exploit but when you start out with -1000 rep, any light is good light. The idea is send a craft and obtain funds and reputation on the cheap. Spin in one spot and recharge the batteries. Then back to Gene for another contract for science data from space around Kerbin, and repeat until dizzy or retch or upchuck or almost outta fuel and then come on home.

The Rep bar's police tape is almost gone and the yellow is in sight. Now with the right strategy this hole is scalable. Pretty sure that I am going to retry this now that the video screen capture program is installed, so tired of pressing F1.

Prev - Science at 10; Funds at 12722; rep -833

Now - Science at 11; Funds at 22005; rep -731

After a few days of playing this style, although it seems a bit grindy, this can carreer be done. Once in orbit around the Mun it seems contracts are a fund and reputation farm. Choosing the right strategy, public relations, your rep gets out of the red/yellow really fast.

So, maybe a little mods for extra pain and pleasure. I am thinking Fine Print, DRE, FAR, Dangit, Engine Ignitor, RT2, TAC Life Support and maybe KAC, KER, Real Chutes, Precise Node, Procedral Fairings, Atmospheric Trajectories, SCANsat, EE, HullCAM, TAC Fuel Balancer and Hyperedit. Just kidding. No Hyperedit.

Was considering going all IVA with RasterPropMonitor. But then I need Chatterer. What am I saying? Chatterer should have been first on the list. Any other suggetions that will improve gameplay are also welcome. Launch date is November 7, 2014.

Got any suggestions for the mission name? Mine was crappy. Finegrind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.