[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

Hey Valerian, are there any special installation procedures I should be aware about? I just tried to install it, but it's doing nothing.

No, nothing special, I even put the GameData folder in the latest version to make it clear.

Which version of Kerbal Space Program are you using? 0.24 or 0.25? x64 or standard?

Did you copy all the files including the two config files?

Do you have another mod that increases the ambient light?

Can you send me your game log?

I swear the vanilla game used to do something similar (though I think it was just tinting the ambient light when near a body) a long time ago. Like first Duna trips in 0.17 had lots of red light. I was just thinking how I kind of missed that!

I swear the vanilla game used to do something similar (though I think it was just tinting the ambient light when near a body) a long time ago. Like first Duna trips in 0.17 had lots of red light. I was just thinking how I kind of missed that!

I saw a few screenshots from Duna that looked like that too, but I was not sure if it was actual game footage, or something rendered by another 3D tool, or even a photoshopped picture.

If you are right why did they remove that?

I'd also like to ask around if anybody is noticing any performance problem.

Granted, I have better atmospheres installed which is preatty heavy on itself, but I noticed a definite loss of fps after installing this. Just me?

I'd also like to ask around if anybody is noticing any performance problem.

Granted, I have better atmospheres installed which is preatty heavy on itself, but I noticed a definite loss of fps after installing this. Just me?

It's kind of expected because it adds 3 lights to the scene.

You can increase the performance by disabling area effect in the settings, which will make it only use 1 light.

The performance issue might also be due to something else: I will do some performance profiling tonight to see if something is slowing it down and can be fixed, because it kind of do a lot of calculations for the lights angles and intensity.

Edited by Valerian

Well, I wouldn't expect 3 lights to cause a noticeable performance. I will try more tests on my own and let you know.

... in the meantime, I have to choose between this and BA :/

That's sad, my mod was intended to be used with BA :P

That's sad, my mod was intended to be used with BA :P

And they look fantastic together, but I like higher fps even more :)

Tonight I'll try again and see if it was just some weird transient issue or something. I will also try BA mid-res, and I'll try to mess with your settings.

Cheers! :)

I saw a few screenshots from Duna that looked like that too, but I was not sure if it was actual game footage, or something rendered by another 3D tool, or even a photoshopped picture.

If you are right why did they remove that?

I looked back briefly at my old 0.17 and 0.18 screenshots, and sure enough theres a lot of ambient colored light. I now remember that it would "switch on" rather abruptly once you entered atmosphere, I wonder if it just got toned down and forgotten? It was nicely atmospheric but not really what this mod does.

t2Bnf7F.png

gGYoVid.png

Valerian, I'm currently using it with Astronomer's Visual Pack, would you say it works with it as well or would you recommend BA over it?

It's just a recommendation, what I meant is that I created this mod because I wanted to improve the way my game looked, and I personally like playing with Astronomer's Visual Pack, as well as a more detailed and darker skybox.

The cloud layer over Kerbin makes the planet brighter, giving more sense to the reflective light.

And they look fantastic together, but I like higher fps even more :)

Tonight I'll try again and see if it was just some weird transient issue or something. I will also try BA mid-res, and I'll try to mess with your settings.

Cheers! :)

Valerian, I'm currently using it with Astronomer's Visual Pack, would you say it works with it as well or would you recommend BA over it?

Oops sorry I mixed BA with EVE in my mind!

I'm currently playing with Astronomer's Visual Pack and my mod is supposed to go well with it, except for a few details like the recolored Laythe.

I'm not sure about BA, does it change the planet colors much?

Oops sorry I mixed BA with EVE in my mind!

I'm currently playing with Astronomer's Visual Pack and my mod is supposed to go well with it, except for a few details like the recolored Laythe.

I'm not sure about BA, does it change the planet colors much?

Nah, not *that* much. Well, they are a lot more saturated, but the basic color is the same. It looks good with BA, imho.

Your mod sounds very interesting and I will try it as soon as I can. My feeling is that old versions of KSP had awfull ambient light, and that it was much better now, but everything that can improve lighting is a good thing, it is crucial for immersion.

I would like to have your view on something else: my feeling is that brightness is much too low on parts which are lighted by low-angle light. When you look at the moon (in real life), it is almost binary, the limit between lighted and dark part is almost sharp, and the lighted part is almost homogeneously bright. This is not the case in KSP, neither on planets nor on spaceships, where all parts directly illuminated by low-angle light are very dark. I am no expert, but I guess it can be explained by the fact that eye perception is somehow not linear, and even a much smaller light does not practically appear very much darker, whereas on a computer screen requested values are somehow linearly related to the perception of brightness.

I think having that properly rendered in KSP would make the overall game brighter while improving the immersion and realism. Dark parts should be dark and bright parts should be bright. What do you think? Do you think it should be difficult to implement such thing as a mod?

Your mod sounds very interesting and I will try it as soon as I can. My feeling is that old versions of KSP had awfull ambient light, and that it was much better now, but everything that can improve lighting is a good thing, it is crucial for immersion.

I would like to have your view on something else: my feeling is that brightness is much too low on parts which are lighted by low-angle light. When you look at the moon (in real life), it is almost binary, the limit between lighted and dark part is almost sharp, and the lighted part is almost homogeneously bright. This is not the case in KSP, neither on planets nor on spaceships, where all parts directly illuminated by low-angle light are very dark. I am no expert, but I guess it can be explained by the fact that eye perception is somehow not linear, and even a much smaller light does not practically appear very much darker, whereas on a computer screen requested values are somehow linearly related to the perception of brightness.

I think having that properly rendered in KSP would make the overall game brighter while improving the immersion and realism. Dark parts should be dark and bright parts should be bright. What do you think? Do you think it should be difficult to implement such thing as a mod?

You are right, it does not feel completely natural :)

I think it's both because of the screen dynamic range limitation, and also the way it's done within the game engine.

To see if that would be possible to change, I need to check if Unity (framework and game engine on which the game is based) allows such a change in light behavior.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.