[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

therealcrow999 said:
Anyone still has V0.2.2.3? I want to go back to that one, until the stock bar save gets fixed. If anyone is kind of enough and upload it so I can download that version, thanks!

All previous versions are always available on Curse and on Kerbalstuff.

For Curse: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/224876-planetshine/files

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

I think I've found a bug here (PS 0.2.3.1, KSP 1.0.2 x86, Windows 8.1 x64). I had just landed a command pod in the ocean and wanted to send Jeb on EVA, but when I did so, there was an immediate crash to desktop. It happened once, and then I reloaded the save, jumped straight to the capsule (with Jeb still inside), and made it happen again, and then I uninstalled PlanetShine and it worked. Looking through the logs, the last exception that happened before the crashes was a big pile of exceptions like this:

[PlanetShine] An exception occured reading CelestialBodyColor node:
CelestialBodyColor
{
name = Moho
color = 124,102,88
}

The exception was:
System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: s

at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetShine.ConfigManager.LoadBody (.ConfigNode bodySettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There was one for every body in the config file.

What I think is happening is that you call LoadBody on CelestialBodyColor config nodes (which Distant Object Enhancement uses, and which I have installed), and ask them for "intensity", "atmosphereAmbient", or "groundAmbientOverride" variables, which they don't have. When I tested either DOE or PS alone, everything was hunky-dory, but when I put them both back to test them together, and the game crashes, or sometimes things explode (for example, one failure I saw in a test was a capsule getting warped to the bottom of the ocean). I can't imagine how this could cause explosions and crashes, but it can't be a good thing to potentially be getting junk data in celestialBodyInfos.

I see you have a comment that the CelestialBodyColor loading will be removed "soon"; maybe now is a good time. :)

I think I've found a bug here (PS 0.2.3.1, KSP 1.0.2 x86, Windows 8.1 x64). I had just landed a command pod in the ocean and wanted to send Jeb on EVA, but when I did so, there was an immediate crash to desktop. It happened once, and then I reloaded the save, jumped straight to the capsule (with Jeb still inside), and made it happen again, and then I uninstalled PlanetShine and it worked. Looking through the logs, the last exception that happened before the crashes was a big pile of exceptions like this:

[PlanetShine] An exception occured reading CelestialBodyColor node:
CelestialBodyColor
{
name = Moho
color = 124,102,88
}

The exception was:
System.ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: s

at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetShine.ConfigManager.LoadBody (.ConfigNode bodySettings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There was one for every body in the config file.

What I think is happening is that you call LoadBody on CelestialBodyColor config nodes (which Distant Object Enhancement uses, and which I have installed), and ask them for "intensity", "atmosphereAmbient", or "groundAmbientOverride" variables, which they don't have. When I tested either DOE or PS alone, everything was hunky-dory, but when I put them both back to test them together, and the game crashes, or sometimes things explode (for example, one failure I saw in a test was a capsule getting warped to the bottom of the ocean). I can't imagine how this could cause explosions and crashes, but it can't be a good thing to potentially be getting junk data in celestialBodyInfos.

I see you have a comment that the CelestialBodyColor loading will be removed "soon"; maybe now is a good time. :)

I'm aware of those error messages, and those are currently properly handled, by simply catching the error, so this is not coming from that.

If I remove CelestialBodyColor now I will break compatibility with Outer Planets Mod and Astronomer's Visual Pack.

If you look at the debug log within the game it happens just when you load your saved game in flight.

Can you try again with and without PlanetShine, and/or send me the log, game save, and list of mod/plugins you have?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it happen again since last night (which is annoying, since it was crashing reliably then), but here's the save file (exactly as it was before the crash -- I've been using copies of this specific save for further testing) and the two logs from the crashes-to-desktop: http://www./download/hnj6b4667u3zgeh/1_0_Career_1_crash_save_and_logs.zip

You'll need Kerbal Engineer Redux (1.0.16.6) and DMagic Orbital Science (1.0.3) to get it to load at all. What I did last night (and tried to do today) was: switch to the vessel (there's only one, "Orbiter 1"), transmit the magnetometer data home, close the magnetometer, roll the pod so the door faces down, go on EVA, and poof! I have no idea if or how any of those steps are necessary, but I that was how I got the first crash so I've repeated it since (and it got me two more).

I've also just realized that I was using Distant Object Enhancement 1.5.4; the 1.5.5 changelog says that some changes were made to resolve some bugs, and one of those changes was made to a method that says it interacts with PlanetShine (changing the "layer" that flares get drawn on -- was 10, now is 0, the comment says it was originally changed from 0 to 10 because of some PlanetShine interaction, but that it appears to no longer be necessary), so all of this may be moot once I make that update.

Anyway, other mods that I use on my main install (quite a few, to be honest):

ASET (Exploration Rover System 0.2.3 and ALCOR 0.9.2.3 -- though these do have plugin dependencies)

BoxSat A.02e

Modular Rocket Systems 1.6.3

SpaceY 0.13

Scifi Shipyards Flags & Decals 2.2

Filter Extensions 2.1.1

Blizzy's Toolbar 1.7.9

AntennaRange 1.8

CapCom 1.1

Chatterer 0.9.1

CollisionFX 3.0.2*

Community Resource Pack 0.4.1

Community Tech Tree 2.1

Contract Configurator 1.0.4

Contract Pack - Anomaly Surveyor 1.1.2

Contracts Window Plus 5.1

Actions Everywhere 1.4a?

Editor Extensions 2.6

Field Experience 1.0.1

Firespitter 7.1.2

FreeEVA 0.5.1

Haystack Continued 0.4.1.0

HeatWarning 12?

Hooligan Labs 4.2

Hullcam VDS 0.34.1

RasterPropMonitor 0.19.2*

JSIPartUtilities...artwhaley's 0.90 update, not sure if it has a "number"

Kerbal Inventory System 1.1.2

Kronal Vessel Viewer, 0.0.4 for 1.0.2

KSP-AVC 1.1.5

Infernal Robotics 0.21.2 with ZodiusInfuser's rework

Navball Docking Alignment Indicator 6

Final Frontier 0.8.2.1285

Precise Node 1.1.3

QuickScroll 1.2.2

QuickSearch 1.1.2

RCS Sounds 4.3

SCANSat 12

ScienceAlert 1.8.7

SelectRoot2

Sensible Screenshot 1.1.0

ShipManifest 4.2.0.0*

Solar Science 1.03

StageRecovery 1.5.5

Stock Bug Fix Modules 1.0.2c.2 (BandwidthFix, PartDragFix, PhysicsFix, StickyLaunchPadFix, ToroidalAerospikeFix)

StripSymmetry 1.6

Temperature Gauge Killer 2

Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.3.1.1

Alternate Resource Panel 2.7.1

Transfer Window Planner 1.3.0.1

TweakableEverything 1.9.1

Universal Storage 1.1.0.3

Vessel Viewer 0.71

Vanguard Technologies 0.7.2

Waypoint Manager 2.3.2

Rover Wheel Sounds 1.2

The ones with asterisks have recently been updated, so I'll be updating them on my own install shortly.

Oh yeah, and I use OpenGL as my renderer.

I set up a test install with only KER, DMOS, PS, and DOE (using default DirectX renderer), but couldn't reproduce the error with the save, and then couldn't reproduce it on my main install, as I said earlier.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it happen again since last night (which is annoying, since it was crashing reliably then), but here's the save file (exactly as it was before the crash -- I've been using copies of this specific save for further testing) and the two logs from the crashes-to-desktop: http://www./download/hnj6b4667u3zgeh/1_0_Career_1_crash_save_and_logs.zip

You'll need Kerbal Engineer Redux (1.0.16.6) and DMagic Orbital Science (1.0.3) to get it to load at all. What I did last night (and tried to do today) was: switch to the vessel (there's only one, "Orbiter 1"), transmit the magnetometer data home, close the magnetometer, roll the pod so the door faces down, go on EVA, and poof! I have no idea if or how any of those steps are necessary, but I that was how I got the first crash so I've repeated it since (and it got me two more).

I've also just realized that I was using Distant Object Enhancement 1.5.4; the 1.5.5 changelog says that some changes were made to resolve some bugs, and one of those changes was made to a method that says it interacts with PlanetShine (changing the "layer" that flares get drawn on -- was 10, now is 0, the comment says it was originally changed from 0 to 10 because of some PlanetShine interaction, but that it appears to no longer be necessary), so all of this may be moot once I make that update.

Anyway, other mods that I use on my main install (quite a few, to be honest):

ASET (Exploration Rover System 0.2.3 and ALCOR 0.9.2.3 -- though these do have plugin dependencies)

BoxSat A.02e

Modular Rocket Systems 1.6.3

SpaceY 0.13

Scifi Shipyards Flags & Decals 2.2

Filter Extensions 2.1.1

Blizzy's Toolbar 1.7.9

AntennaRange 1.8

CapCom 1.1

Chatterer 0.9.1

CollisionFX 3.0.2*

Community Resource Pack 0.4.1

Community Tech Tree 2.1

Contract Configurator 1.0.4

Contract Pack - Anomaly Surveyor 1.1.2

Contracts Window Plus 5.1

Actions Everywhere 1.4a?

Editor Extensions 2.6

Field Experience 1.0.1

Firespitter 7.1.2

FreeEVA 0.5.1

Haystack Continued 0.4.1.0

HeatWarning 12?

Hooligan Labs 4.2

Hullcam VDS 0.34.1

RasterPropMonitor 0.19.2*

JSIPartUtilities...artwhaley's 0.90 update, not sure if it has a "number"

Kerbal Inventory System 1.1.2

Kronal Vessel Viewer, 0.0.4 for 1.0.2

KSP-AVC 1.1.5

Infernal Robotics 0.21.2 with ZodiusInfuser's rework

Navball Docking Alignment Indicator 6

Final Frontier 0.8.2.1285

Precise Node 1.1.3

QuickScroll 1.2.2

QuickSearch 1.1.2

RCS Sounds 4.3

SCANSat 12

ScienceAlert 1.8.7

SelectRoot2

Sensible Screenshot 1.1.0

ShipManifest 4.2.0.0*

Solar Science 1.03

StageRecovery 1.5.5

Stock Bug Fix Modules 1.0.2c.2 (BandwidthFix, PartDragFix, PhysicsFix, StickyLaunchPadFix, ToroidalAerospikeFix)

StripSymmetry 1.6

Temperature Gauge Killer 2

Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.3.1.1

Alternate Resource Panel 2.7.1

Transfer Window Planner 1.3.0.1

TweakableEverything 1.9.1

Universal Storage 1.1.0.3

Vessel Viewer 0.71

Vanguard Technologies 0.7.2

Waypoint Manager 2.3.2

Rover Wheel Sounds 1.2

The ones with asterisks have recently been updated, so I'll be updating them on my own install shortly.

Oh yeah, and I use OpenGL as my renderer.

I set up a test install with only KER, DMOS, PS, and DOE (using default DirectX renderer), but couldn't reproduce the error with the save, and then couldn't reproduce it on my main install, as I said earlier.

With that many plugins it could really be anything ... I couldn't find any relevant information in your logs.

According to your description of what happens just before crashing, I don't see how it could be related to PlanetShine.

With that many plugins it could really be anything ... I couldn't find any relevant information in your logs.

According to your description of what happens just before crashing, I don't see how it could be related to PlanetShine.

In retrospect, I probably just got unlucky three times. :(

Got a problem: I've set PlanetShine to use Blizzys toolbar only and not the stock AppLauncher, but when I restart the game, the button is back on the AppLauncher again.

It had already been reported, it will be fixed in the next release

I am trying to hide the planet shine icon from the stock toolbar via the settings window of planet shine. It works initially, but a restarting KSP it is back again. Is there a fix for this?

Edit: Jeez, I should read first then think (post above)

Hey! Just wanted to stop here and say that I consider PlanetShine a "required mod" for playing ksp. It was one of the first I downloaded and will forever be in any of my installs. It's just a subtly beautiful addition to the game. Thanks!

Wondering if a feature idea I've had would be difficult to implement, though I'm not a programmer.

Moonlit evenings through a check that looks for moons with the some day side facing the planet and then creating planetshine mod light that correspond's to that body's colour?

Wondering if a feature idea I've had would be difficult to implement, though I'm not a programmer.

Moonlit evenings through a check that looks for moons with the some day side facing the planet and then creating planetshine mod light that correspond's to that body's colour?

That's the main feature I'm working on currently, and I'm rewriting most of the code to do that properly.

A thought I had was to use some math to adjust brightness of the light based on percentage of the moon/planet/body exposed.

blackrack has mentioned within his thread that it may be possible to have his mod's ocean reflection and shader work with moonlight as well. Man....once all this stuff comes together it's going to be glorious!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.