[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

Hello I'm trying to increase the     baseAlbedoIntensity value within the config file but it doesn't seem to affect in game.

Is there a way that I can further increase light intensity.

I appreciate the "subtle" affect that has been chosen for default min and max values, but some of us are just hungry for more =(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I always assumed that PlanetShine is compatible with RSS. However, I just looked into "CelestialBodies.cfg" file and found out that there's not a single entry for any celestial body from Real Solar System. There are only entries for stock bodies such as Kerbin, Mun and Duna. So, if I may ask, how exactly PlanetShine accomplishes compatibility with RSS, if it is compatible at all?

Scratch that, I just found the answer for my question. There are configs for PlanetShine in RSS file "PlanetShineColors.cfg".

Edited by Sol Invictus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:47 PM, EmbersArc said:

Hey there, I made some new icons for the mod that have higher resolution and different style.

SqBGWRm.png

Just going to leave this here, if you want to use it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9o2dvpjllz241le/AADIEAZy0QQk6S3CIP2lXyVRa?dl=0

Thank you! I will use them on the next release

8 minutes ago, maculator said:

The most recent version doesn't work for me (1.2.2 x64). Sadly its just a lightdimmer (that works) no shine :/

Would a log help?

Sure a log would help, was there a KSP update recently? I'm not playing anymore so I'm not much aware of what's happening with KSP these days.

Do you have any other visual mods installed, or mods that change the planets, and did you update them just before experiencing this issue?

7 minutes ago, maculator said:

Only Distant Object Enhancement.

Here is my log https://github.com/maculator/Crafts/blob/master/KSP1.2.2x65LogPS.txt

the normal one out of ksp dirctory. Hope it helps.

I can dim the light (wich is 60% why I got the mod), but nothing else happens regardless of settings.

I don't see anything of help in the logs.

Can you show me the contents of your PlanetShine/Config/Settings.cfg ?

When was the last time you saw PlanetShine working properly?

I will try to see if it works on my computer with the same conditions as you later this week.

Edited by Valerian

Erm last time I used it was way back in KSP 0.90 I guess, so that'll be no help either^^

content of said file:

Spoiler

PlanetShine
{
	baseAlbedoIntensity = 0.09
	vacuumLightLevel = 0
	useAreaLight = False
	baseGroundAmbient = 0.2
	minAlbedoFadeAltitude = 0.01
	maxAlbedoFadeAltitude = 0.1
	minAmbientFadeAltitude = 0
	maxAmbientFadeAltitude = 0.1
	albedoRange = 20
	groundAmbientOverrideRatio = 0.2
	useVertex = True
	updateFrequency = 2
	quality = 0
	stockToolbarEnabled = True
}

I just startet to play ksp again and after my first missions into space I remembered this mod and gave it a go.

Edit:

I just redownloaded it and tested it on a other install with 0 mods, it workes. Testtank shows light reflected from kerbin. I'll call it a day now (GMT+0) and tomorrow I'll check if it works when I add back my mods. I'll download the latest version of everything and try it on a fresh install. Thank you for your quick reply!

Edited by maculator

Ok, I'm not sure what is the issue. Did you do a clean install of KSP, or did you just update the 0.90 you had before? And if you did update from 0.90, did you delete all of the mod files in GameData before installing the updated versions of the mods?

Can you try running it with "GameData" containing only the folders "Squad" and a fresh re-install of "PlanetShine"?

This whole issue might just be PlanetShine not working with the latest KSP x64, but I think someone would have reported it earlier if that was the case.

It all works, couldn't track down why it didn't but I don't care - I want to play and enjoy the darkness of space.

So for anyone who might read this because planet shine isn't working:

It works with KSP 1.2.2

@Valerian you might want to change the title to state that it works in 1.2.2. And is there a way to change the slider for the actual planet shining a bit more to make it brighter? With ambient lightning at the lowest level it is really just a subtle glance on your ship. Maybe it's more realistic, but I'd personally would prefer a bit more reflection. The lowest setting in ambient light renders the slider for the reflection to be doing not much the first 3/4 and after that it'S just a really weak shine - I'd love to turn it up a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

I see that the planetshine main contributor is around. Small question : any plan to improve your planetshine version ? (the 0.5 is in "beta" since a yeah now :p, for example)

I don't see myself continuing PlanetShine anymore in the future, I will only try to fix it when a new version of KSP breaks it.

I kind of lost the drive to continue working on it, and it's only in a beta state because it does not include all of the features that I had envisioned for it. The version 0.5 experimental would need some work to be ported to KSP 1.2 and is close to being a rather stable version, which also has a cleaner code than the main 0.2 version.

Ok, thank you for taking time to answered, and very good job again.

I have read the code by the way i have some question. If i understand you "simulate" in a way the illumination. But you don't really emit light from planets ?

Isn't possible to transform directly the bodies into lightsources (turn them into other sun, in fact ) . I imagine something prevent you for doing that, but what ?

2 hours ago, msnbcorp said:

Ok, thank you for taking time to answered, and very good job again.

I have read the code by the way i have some question. If i understand you "simulate" in a way the illumination. But you don't really emit light from planets ?

Isn't possible to transform directly the bodies into lightsources (turn them into other sun, in fact ) . I imagine something prevent you for doing that, but what ?

The thing is that planets are not a simple points emitting light, they are a surface emitting light from one half, and that's why I need to simulate it using several spread out lights so that it looks realistic when close to the planet. Currently the game engine does not allow using actual "surface lights", so that's why I need to resort to such a simulation.

Another thing: the game engine's light intensity fade-out formula when getting further from a light source does not feel realistic, so I made my own.

Technically you could turn the planets into light sources, but for many reasons it would not give a good result, mainly because you need to take into account which side of the planet is lit.

The version 0.2 uses a list of planet light colors from the settings, and 0.5 uses a kind of "screenshot" from the point of view of the vessel to calculate the light color to use.

Edited by Valerian

Hi, just to let you know, i was debeging others mods when i saw this lines in the log file during the module manager loading.

[LOG 18:55:40.619] [ModuleManager] Reloading Trait configs
[LOG 18:55:40.621] [ModuleManager] Reloading Part Upgrades
[LOG 18:55:40.627] [ModuleManager] Calling SolverEngines.EngineDatabase.ModuleManagerPostLoad()
[LOG 18:55:40.635] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading PlanetShine, Version=1.0.5826.1851, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader+<ProcessPatch>d__46.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 18:55:40.690] [ModuleManager] Ran in 81.473s

As you can see it is as the exact end of the module manager. It's with you're 0.5 experimental version so i assume this could be normal ^^. Just to let you know :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.