[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

I can report that this mod is not working correctly in v1.3. KSP now has three brightness adjusting sliders and that clashes with Planetshine. Terrain gets way too bright (looks like a constant nuclear explosion) and the mod disables those stock sliders. Actual illumination of vessels in orbit works.

I just tested v0.2.5.2 in orbit around kerbin with KSP 1.3 and it appears to work.. No noticeable negative effects on terrain. The settings and sliders all appear to work as well.

EDIT: @lajoswinkler were you using the dev 0.5 version of planetshine?

Edited by Errol

8 hours ago, Errol said:

I just tested v0.2.5.2 in orbit around kerbin with KSP 1.3 and it appears to work.. No noticeable negative effects on terrain. The settings and sliders all appear to work as well.

EDIT: @lajoswinkler were you using the dev 0.5 version of planetshine?

I've used the version from the first post.

There are two versions in the OP, the latest (compiled for KSP 1.2) release version 0.2.5.2 which places light sources into the bodies to shine on your craft, and an experimental version 0.5 which is clearly labelled as being compatible with KSP 1.0.5 and earlier only, it is the version that uses a "camera view" of the planet to decide what colour to shine on your craft. 

Give the release version a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question... is planetshine expected to affect kerbals on EVA.

I could have sworn that it did in the past, but doesn't in 1.3 (I'm using Planetshine version 0.2.5.2).

As you can see here the blue of Kerbin can be seen on the capsule, but not Jeb's suit.

06c3sXI.png

I took a look at my old 1.2 build and no apparent planetshine on kerbals there either.

So I don't know if it's just my memory playing tricks on me and planetshine has never applied to kerbals on EVA, or if it's something that broke at some point in the past.

I just took a look through some of my older screenshots and it does look like at some point in the past, planetshine lighting did get applied to EVA'ing kerbals.

XjL2ye0.jpg

This screenshot was taken 9th April 2016, so it's back in the days of KSP v1.05

Edited by purpleivan

4 hours ago, spacekitty4427 said:

Does anyone know how to remove the incompatibility message when KSP loads?

It is generated by the AVC version file - GameData/PlanetShine/Plugins/PlanetShine.version. Modifying the version numbers in that file can remove the message (or you could simply delete the file) but doing so may prevent you getting a notification if/when a new version is ever released. 

• 2 weeks later...

isn't working for me in 1.3, it pops up as incompatible at the start of the game and there's no visual change.

installed with CKAN - planetshine+planetshine default configuration, using with other visual mods: EVE+SVE+SVT+Scatterer+Engine Lighting(+Kopernicus(required for SVT))

Edited by gendalf

29 minutes ago, gendalf said:

isn't working for me in 1.3, it pops up as incompatible at the start of the game and there's no visual change.

Are you sure there's no visual change?  It's pretty subtle and easy to overlook even when it's working.

While in orbit and over the daylight side of a planet, open the PlanetShine settings window, click on the Advanced tab, and toggle the "global ON/OFF" checkbox while looking at the planet-facing side of your spacecraft.  You should see a (subtle) difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I wanted to show my appreciation for this mod. I never would have guessed that one seemingly circumstantial graphical effect could raise the apparent tier of quality and realism in the rendering of the entire game! I'd think this was an entire graphics engine overhaul mod for the impact that it makes if I didn't know better.

I think PlanetShine is a prime candidate for integrating into the base game. It makes the whole experience that much more beautiful.

Edited by Aru

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, tsd said:

Is there any possibilty of someone picking this mod up again? Does the legal stuff allow it?

there is no reason for someone else to pick this up yet, as it works fine in 1.3 and will likely work fine in 1.3.1. As for the licensing stuff, you just have to read the licensing definition linked in the OP

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.