[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

I get this filling up my debug window when I open the Planetshine Menu: [Exception]: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ConfigNode.SetValue'.

Also, the settings don't seem to save. Seems to work fine otherwise.

I can report the same thing, it is filling up the log with this exception, and I have the feeling it may be breaking something with the fairings, maybe?! On scene change, sometimes, the fairing part of the stock heat shield (and other fairing parts - in the following screenshot, the crew capsule usually has an automatic "fairing" part that makes it appear sitting flush when something is attached to its bottom node) disappears and I can't make it reappear.

NsDiAHem.png

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g78bn2vshyixs6t/output_log.txt?dl=0

I finally updated PlanetShine to fix the settings bug and add support for stock toolbar, please tell me if you have any issues :)

- - - Updated - - -

I can report the same thing, it is filling up the log with this exception, and I have the feeling it may be breaking something with the fairings, maybe?! On scene change, sometimes, the fairing part of the stock heat shield (and other fairing parts - in the following screenshot, the crew capsule usually has an automatic "fairing" part that makes it appear sitting flush when something is attached to its bottom node) disappears and I can't make it reappear.

http://i.imgur.com/NsDiAHem.png

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g78bn2vshyixs6t/output_log.txt?dl=0

The error messages were caused by the settings saving issue, which is fixed now.

However I never had any issues with fairings, can you check if it's really related to PlanetShine?

Heya, just updated to version 0.2.3. The PS icon seems to be breeding in my toolbar! Not sure what that's all about, but I remember RealChutes having the exact same issue when it first updated for KSPv1.0.TrEBYmy.jpg

Heya, just updated to version 0.2.3. The PS icon seems to be breeding in my toolbar! Not sure what that's all about, but I remember RealChutes having the exact same issue when it first updated for KSPv1.0.http://i.imgur.com/TrEBYmy.jpg

Sorry! I was aware of this issue and I completely forgot to fix it >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Valerian, did you happen to see this pull request I made?

I don't know why I didn't see the e-mail notification, I will look into it right now!

May I do a (humble) feature request for the future?

Would be amazing If you could add a "night shine" option for the city lights map at night (if EVE and/or Scatterer are present). To create a sensation of luminic pollution in the atmo.

Would that be even possible?

Something similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObnEpRccHM

May I do a (humble) feature request for the future?

Would be amazing If you could add a "night shine" option for the city lights map at night (if EVE and/or Scatterer are present). To create a sensation of luminic pollution in the atmo.

Would that be even possible?

Something similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObnEpRccHM

Technically I could do that, but I don't think it's realistic. Well, it could make sense with EVE's city lights because those are very bright :)

Playing with all those bright and less bright light sources is very tricky, because what the dynamic range of light that the human eye can see is hard to represent on a computer screen which has a much smaller dynamic range.

We are able to see clearly during full moon night, and that's because our eye can adapt to it, but sadly KSP does not handle HDR, so I need to kind of balance everything to keep something visually believable.

Currently the blue light reflected by the day side of Kerbin is already subtle, and in theory city lights should be something like 1% of that, however even 10% wouldn't be visible in the game.

I'm thinking about increasing sunlight on the ship to counterbalance that, this would result in a more contrasted rendering, with the rendering of the sunlit part of the ship getting "burnt" and losing details because of parts becoming 100% white.

The first feature I want to focus on is having light coming from multiple distant bodies, such as munlight when you are on Kerbin.

I will release a testing version with several options along those lines to try different settings and get some feedback.

Edited by Valerian

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why I didn't see the e-mail notification, I will look into it right now!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, can you fix this bug?

Technically I could do that, but I don't think it's realistic. Well, it could make sense with EVE's city lights because those are very bright :)

Playing with all those bright and less bright light sources is very tricky, because what the dynamic range of light that the human eye can see is hard to represent on a computer screen which has a much smaller dynamic range.

We are able to see clearly during full moon night, and that's because our eye can adapt to it, but sadly KSP does not handle HDR, so I need to kind of balance everything to keep something visually believable.

Currently the blue light reflected by the day side of Kerbin is already subtle, and in theory city lights should be something like 1% of that, however even 10% wouldn't be visible in the game.

I'm thinking about increasing sunlight on the ship to counterbalance that, this would result in a more contrasted rendering, with the rendering of the sunlit part of the ship getting "burnt" and losing details because of parts becoming 100% white.

The first feature I want to focus on is having light coming from multiple distant bodies, such as munlight when you are on Kerbin.

I will release a testing version with several options along those lines to try different settings and get some feedback.

Smart, true and fair response, thanks! You are completely right, I forgot that HDR ranges are necessary to get something similar.

EDIT: Focus on your plans and forgive my nonsenses, lol. Don't do unnecessary work, the standar light can be changed easely just now with RSS. ;)

Edited by Proot

I upgraded PlanetShine to 0.2.3 with CKAN and it added a file

GameData/PlanetShine/Icons/Thumbs.db

Is it OK if I delete this file? Because I assume it is a thumbnail cache for Windows, and I'm on Linux, and I don't think KSP needs the file either.

Edited by Amedee

I upgraded PlanetShine to 0.2.3 with CKAN and it added a file

Is it OK if I delete this file? Because I assume it is a thumbnail cache for Windows, and I'm on Linux, and I don't think KSP needs the file either.

Considering all it contains is this...

"Root Entry modify timestamp : Fri May 8 22:16:11 2015"

I don't think it is needed.

This is intended for other modders who need to access/change/replace the celestial bodies settings of PlanetShine:

I'm going to change the way it's handled so you will be able to update it through Module Manager. However I realized that I was using the same structure as Distant Objects Enhancement: I will therefore need to rename my nodes and break compatibility with the old CelestialBodies.cfg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, can you fix this bug?

Soonâ„¢

Stupid windows :P

Looking forward to using this again :)

This is intended for other modders who need to access/change/replace the celestial bodies settings of PlanetShine:

I'm going to change the way it's handled so you will be able to update it through Module Manager. However I realized that I was using the same structure as Distant Objects Enhancement: I will therefore need to rename my nodes and break compatibility with the old CelestialBodies.cfg

Great! Maybe that is the origin of the problem with the wrong lighting at warp speed in map view?

As long as you let us any other type of config file/GUI, sounds perfect for me.

Great! Maybe that is the origin of the problem with the wrong lighting at warp speed in map view?

As long as you let us any other type of config file/GUI, sounds perfect for me.

Wait, in map view? There is now way PlanetShine is affecting anything in map view currently

Wait, in map view? There is now way PlanetShine is affecting anything in map view currently

Maybe I don't explained properly this bug before. Excuse my english... :blush:

In the current release, if you are in mapview and goes to max warp speeds you can see how the shine of the bodies goes into a loop, from the configured and expected results to a much more saturated and bright result (seems that the tone of the saturation have some relation to the color asigned to the bodie in DOE & PS).

Anyways what I was wondering is if DOE could be affecting to PS (latest versions of DOE are just maintenance, without new work around, I think).

Maybe I don't explained properly this bug before. Excuse my english... :blush:

In the current release, if you are in mapview and goes to max warp speeds you can see how the shine of the bodies goes into a loop, from the configured and expected results to a much more saturated and bright result (seems that the tone of the saturation have some relation to the color asigned to the bodie in DOE & PS).

Anyways what I was wondering is if DOE could be affecting to PS (latest versions of DOE are just maintenance, without new work around, I think).

PS used to be messing with DOE, by illuminating distant objects with the planet shine effect, but I got it fixed in DOE several months ago.

PS is creating lights that have certain mask, preventing the light to affect anything else than the ship.

However DOE was creating entities having the same mask as player vehicles, which I changed to the celestial bodies mask.

- - - Updated - - -

mSf4Tfz.gif?1

PlanetShine updated! No more multiplying toolbar buttons!

ATTENTION TO MODDERS:

Celestial Bodies config is now compatible with Module Manager, and node names have changed, please read changelog for more details.

With the latest version of PlanetShine, the setting for not using the stock launcher button doesn't seem to save. Every time I restart the game, the launcher button is back in the app launcher bar.

thank you for adding support for custom cfg's, will make our planet packs packs compatability so much easier without having to overwrite your main cfg file :D

Sorry for taking so long :)

- - - Updated - - -

With the latest version of PlanetShine, the setting for not using the stock launcher button doesn't seem to save. Every time I restart the game, the launcher button is back in the app launcher bar.

Did you update your Settings.cfg with the one from the new version? You should find this towards the end of the file:

stockToolbarEnabled = True

or

stockToolbarEnabled = False

Did you update your Settings.cfg with the one from the new version? You should find this towards the end of the file:

Hrm. Not sure why, but when testing again it seems to be working fine now. I did have that stockToolbarEnabled before set to False as I do now. Either way, I'll keep my eye it if it happens again. Sorry for false alarm. :)

Hrm. Not sure why, but when testing again it seems to be working fine now. I did have that stockToolbarEnabled before set to False as I do now. Either way, I'll keep my eye it if it happens again. Sorry for false alarm. :)

If you ever have this bug again please send me your logs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.