[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

3 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Huh. That's weird, maybe it's updated and I didn't realize it or something. Last time I tried it didn't work.

In that case, I have no idea.

Try reinstalling the mod or something. Not sure on everybody's opinions here of CKAN but it might be worth using it to install just in case you made a mistake or something.

Edited by Zombienoms

15 hours ago, Ignath said:

Check your folder structure for Planetshine, it should look like this:

GameData

• PlanetShine
    • Config
    • Icons
    • Plugins

Config, Icons and Plugins should be inside the PlanetShine folder.  At one time there was an issue with the structure where there was another PlanetShine folder inside the PlanetShine folder, which the Icons and Plugins folder were in.  Putting Icons and Plugins folder into the top-level PlanetShine folder fixed the issue when I had it.

Update: that worked. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Zombienoms said:

Try reinstalling the mod or something. Not sure on everybody's opinions here of CKAN but it might be worth using it to install just in case you made a mistake or something.

CKAN was the origin of this issue at one point.  Go back about 2-3 pages and read through until you find @Valerian and I discussing this issue.  It turned out that the metadata for CKAN had an error in it and was causing incorrect folder placement on installation or something.

I <3 CKAN myself, but it certainly isn't the be-all, end-all solution for mod installation, it has its problems like any other method.

Sadly the only thing working for me in 1.1.2 is the Vacuum ambient light level. All other values don't change a thing. I wonder why it works for some people but not for others. As for graphic mods I only use (or rather would like to use) PS atm.

56 minutes ago, BigBA said:

Sadly the only thing working for me in 1.1.2 is the Vacuum ambient light level. All other values don't change a thing. I wonder why it works for some people but not for others. As for graphic mods I only use (or rather would like to use) PS atm.

Conflicts with other mods maybe?

EDIT: wait, never mind lol

EDIT 2: then again, maybe it might still conflict with other mods..? 

Edited by Zombienoms

1 hour ago, Zombienoms said:

Conflicts with other mods maybe?

EDIT: wait, never mind lol

EDIT 2: then again, maybe it might still conflict with other mods..? 

Maybe, I'll just leave it for now, be happy with the functioning part of the mod and try to install EVE. ;:)

The regular version works in 1.1.2, but I'm still experiencing an old bug (over more than a year?):

the light over the planets (in ScaledSpace and in map view) is changing in loop, from the desired look to a more cold and overexposed light. (This seems to not happen at PQS scales)

It's hard to show in a capture, but is completely noticeable during a warp time in the map view.

Before was a barely noticeable change, but now that Scatterer and EVE are more "advanced" this issue can literally change the color and light of a whole planet (specially if this planet have atmosphere), ruining the atmosphere and the consistency of the scene in the space.

All this seems to not happen in the experimental version, but I'm not using the exp.ver. anymore, since it has a more impact in the performance and it's not compatible with 1.1.2.

I'm in love with this mod, I hope you can fix this and keep it alive. Thanks for all @Valerian!

Edited by Proot

On 2/5/2016 at 8:46 PM, Valerian said:

Damn already 2 updates? Sorry I didn't realize, I will update it, it should work fine though except for this warning.

I suggest you make it clearer next to the download link that it also work with 1.1.2 but that some people might have a warning about the versions conflict.

Another CKAN question I'm afraid.

CKAN is listing this as "Incompatible" what does this mean exactly? Just that it's not specified to work on 1.1.2 or that it actively conflicts with another mod that I have installed?

What such conflicts known? I don't have Ambient Light Adjustment or AmbientLightShifter, I do have Kopernicus but used this with that under a previous install and it seemed fine.

Edited by Bishop149

On 5/15/2016 at 0:34 PM, Ignath said:

CKAN was the origin of this issue at one point.  Go back about 2-3 pages and read through until you find @Valerian and I discussing this issue.  It turned out that the metadata for CKAN had an error in it and was causing incorrect folder placement on installation or something.

I <3 CKAN myself, but it certainly isn't the be-all, end-all solution for mod installation, it has its problems like any other method.

The nice aspect of CKAN is that it behaves in reliable ways. It crashes reliably or installs mods according to code rather than the person operating the computer, and this makes troubleshooting easier as everyone is (usually) experiencing the same issues. If you've found an issue in CKAN and submitted a pull request for it, then everyone benefits.

However I say this and it hasn't seen a new release in many months, so I understand that some people might get frustrated with it.

Edited by gp

6 hours ago, Blacks said:

LayerVolume it have big impact on GPU more exactly, 1 single layer from 80 fps cap test with stock Eve drop is to ~30 fps with 1 single craft part test.

I don't have problem with them costing performance - nothing is free and they're not too bad for their visual impact. The problem is they cost it when they can't possibly be visible. This is extra bad with multiple cloud layers, and I doubt it's  deliberate.

Edited by Waz

3 hours ago, Waz said:

I don't have problem with them costing performance - nothing is free and they're not too bad for their visual impact. The problem is they cost it when they can't possibly be visible. This is extra bad with multiple cloud layers, and I doubt it's  deliberate.

Sorry, you have a wrong mod thread. This is PlanetShine. Perhaps you wanted EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements?

On 5/28/2016 at 0:28 PM, gp said:

The nice aspect of CKAN is that it behaves in reliable ways. It crashes reliably or installs mods according to code rather than the person operating the computer, and this makes troubleshooting easier as everyone is (usually) experiencing the same issues. If you've found an issue in CKAN and submitted a pull request for it, then everyone benefits.

However I say this and it hasn't seen a new release in many months, so I understand that some people might get frustrated with it.

It also doesn't help CKAN's case that 9 times out of 10, it causes more errors than is worth it. Most mod makers are even refusing to answer questions about CKAN at this point.

Edited by Andem

5 hours ago, Gryphon said:

Sorry, you have a wrong mod thread. This is PlanetShine. Perhaps you wanted EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements?

Yes, thanks - something weird happens sometimes when I quote on mobile.

3 hours ago, Andem said:

It also doesn't help CKAN's case that 9 times out of 10, it causes more errors than is worth it. Most mod makers are even refusing to answer questions about CKAN at this point.

Like I said, at least then you're hitting a bug that can be troubleshooted and fixed, and is then solved for hundreds of users instead of just one. Personally I've had almost nothing with success with CKAN.

I would love to submit the PR myself but they would probably want to see a commit from the mod author confirming that it's 1.1.2 compatible (or better yet, 1.1.99).

Edited by gp

10 hours ago, gp said:

Like I said, at least then you're hitting a bug that can be troubleshooted and fixed, and is then solved for hundreds of users instead of just one. Personally I've had almost nothing with success with CKAN.

I would love to submit the PR myself but they would probably want to see a commit from the mod author confirming that it's 1.1.2 compatible (or better yet, 1.1.99).

#OFFTOP 
1.1.99? When was it released? GOG is late with updates as always.

3 hours ago, Ja222 said:

#OFFTOP 
1.1.99? When was it released? GOG is late with updates as always.

1.1.2 is the latest version. The idea is to mark the mod as compatible for future versions, too. That way, AVC/Mini-AVC/CKAN won’t complain about incompatibility for it for every new version of KSP when new versions aren’t that likely to break its functionality.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be soon to be stop using PlanetShine, as Scatterer will be obsoleting this mod. The new planetshine feature in Scatterer that will soon be released as WIP casts planetshine onto other celestial objects and on craft. 

See pages 183-185 on the Scatterer thread.

1 hour ago, LaytheDragon said:

I will be soon to be stop using PlanetShine, as Scatterer will be obsoleting this mod. The new planetshine feature in Scatterer that will soon be released as WIP casts planetshine onto other celestial objects and on craft.

Well, it's a different developer, so it's not "obsoleting" this mod. It's just another visual improvement mod that MAY eventually work in the same space as Planetshine. It's always great to see people doing neat stuff to make KSP better.
Anyway, I am enjoying Planetshine.

(I'm not sure if you're over-excited about Scatterer, not a native English speaker, or both, but it came across as if you were being negative about Planetshine, which made me sad.)

8 hours ago, Gryphon said:

(I'm not sure if you're over-excited about Scatterer, not a native English speaker, or both, but it came across as if you were being negative about Planetshine, which made me sad.)

More of the over-excited than negative, because it has more expanded planetshine features (celestial planetshine).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.