[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

People said everything, but I must say it again: Awesome mod, outstanding job! Thank you for this! :)

Now, I wonder: What are the chances it will be compatible with EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, once it's officially released for .25? Thanks!

If this mod adds light sources, the performance hit could be due to the use of shadows. If those light sources are causing more shadows to be calculated based on the objects they are colliding with then performance will drop drastically. I turn off my shadows cause this laptop really doesn't like them at all. I imagine if someone has their light sources option turned down really low that these lights could conflict with vessel lighting and cause some flickering in/out due to that limit. Add that to anyone using the RCS sounds and light mod and you've got a real battle on your hands over the limits of light projections.

Another little tidbit of info: I was looking at the color configs and comparing them to Distant Objects and I discovered that the colors for the planets are an exact match to the other mod. I mean exact down to each decimal value.

I'd also like to ask around if anybody is noticing any performance problem.

Granted, I have better atmospheres installed which is preatty heavy on itself, but I noticed a definite loss of fps after installing this. Just me?

Ok, I just found a performance issue which I fixed for the next release, on my computer it was taking at least 10ms per frame for nothing

Edited by Valerian

If this mod adds light sources, the performance hit could be due to the use of shadows. If those light sources are causing more shadows to be calculated based on the objects they are colliding with then performance will drop drastically. I turn off my shadows cause this laptop really doesn't like them at all. I imagine if someone has their light sources option turned down really low that these lights could conflict with vessel lighting and cause some flickering in/out due to that limit. Add that to anyone using the RCS sounds and light mod and you've got a real battle on your hands over the limits of light projections.

Another little tidbit of info: I was looking at the color configs and comparing them to Distant Objects and I discovered that the colors for the planets are an exact match to the other mod. I mean exact down to each decimal value.

My lights have no shadow effect, so it's not the issue here.

I didn't even try to add some, the performance loss would be horrible, especially because I would need to use blurred shadows!

And yes, its an exact copy paste, sorry I didnt take time to give credits to the mods that helped make this one.

Amazing quality improvement.

I assume 0.25 only? I have not upgraded because many mods don't work in 0.25 yet. I want this in a 0.24 install. :(

I'll give it a try when I can. This looks perfect for my YouTube show where I am always trying to make it more beautiful.

Hi Bob!

i'd love to see this in Project Odyssey.

OP wrote that it

Works both for 0.24 and 0.25

Please give it a try ;)

Greetings from Vienna

No, nothing special, I even put the GameData folder in the latest version to make it clear.

Which version of Kerbal Space Program are you using? 0.24 or 0.25? x64 or standard?

Did you copy all the files including the two config files?

Do you have another mod that increases the ambient light?

Can you send me your game log?

I 'm using .25 x32. I just copied everything inside the gamedata folder into KSP's gamedata folder, and I don't have another mod that increases ambient light.

I'm going to go ahead and be "that guy", who asks about stuff completely unrelated to the mod. :blush:

In your screenshots, that looks like an improved shielded docking port. It's actually aerodynamically shaped, instead of the stupidly flat and ugly stock part. Where is that part from, please?

I'm going to go ahead and be "that guy", who asks about stuff completely unrelated to the mod. :blush:

In your screenshots, that looks like an improved shielded docking port. It's actually aerodynamically shaped, instead of the stupidly flat and ugly stock part. Where is that part from, please?

It's a "Surface Imaging Scanner" from the mod "Better Than Starting Manned", not a docking port. But I think that the model is taken from a docking port part present in another mod.

Great mod making pretty realistic illumination.

I just noticed it seems to simulate bounce light hue only and sometime at low orbit its seem a bit dark (imo).

So thanks to your explainations in your .cfg, I managed to make the effect way brighter (baseReflectiveIntensity x 2) but had to desaturate the CelestialBodies colors to avoid something too...colorfull ;)

Anyway, this mod is awesome.

Just a question : Do you think it is possible to darken the skybox when you are getting close to something bright as a daylight planet from space to simulate photographic aperture & plain black space effect?

Just a question : Do you think it is possible to darken the skybox when you are getting close to something bright as a daylight planet from space to simulate photographic aperture & plain black space effect?

I think the Mod "DistantObjects" does this. It's compiled for .24, but I haven't noticed a problem using it in .25 x32. At least with that mod on the star field is too dim to see in orbit on the sunny side of most planets. I also use EVE 7-4 with Astronomer's Oblivion pack. I can recommend these three mods for really making KSP space look like space.

I think the Mod "DistantObjects" does this. It's compiled for .24, but I haven't noticed a problem using it in .25 x32. At least with that mod on the star field is too dim to see in orbit on the sunny side of most planets. I also use EVE 7-4 with Astronomer's Oblivion pack. I can recommend these three mods for really making KSP space look like space.

I agree! And I'm also looking for a good skybox to go with them, but I don't have much time to look for one right now.

Great mod making pretty realistic illumination.

I just noticed it seems to simulate bounce light hue only and sometime at low orbit its seem a bit dark (imo).

So thanks to your explainations in your .cfg, I managed to make the effect way brighter (baseReflectiveIntensity x 2) but had to desaturate the CelestialBodies colors to avoid something too...colorfull ;)

Anyway, this mod is awesome.

I think it depends on your screen too, my screen at home has very good contrast and can display the whole light spectrum, but the screen at my office makes my screenshots look really dark, and the reflection barely visible.

I'm currently working on adding an in-game GUI for the settings, do you think I should add a global saturation setting as well?

By the way, I want to rename this plugin to "Planetshine" or "Albedo", what do you think?

I'm planning to do actual planetshine in this mod as well, and I like the name.

This is planetshine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetshine

510px-Earthshine_diagram.svg.png

Albedo is defined as "the fraction of Sun’s radiation reflected from a surface"

albedo-gif.gif

I think it depends on your screen too, my screen at home has very good contrast and can display the whole light spectrum, but the screen at my office makes my screenshots look really dark, and the reflection barely visible.

I'm currently working on adding an in-game GUI for the settings, do you think I should add a global saturation setting as well?

Yeah that's true, every screen is different.

It can be a good idea as planet hue and saturation can change with some other mods as Better Atmospheres. It will also make it easier for you if you want to make some global adjusments :)

Yeah that's true, every screen is different.

It can be a good idea as planet hue and saturation can change with some other mods as Better Atmospheres. It will also make it easier for you if you want to make some global adjusments :)

I'm already planning to provide separate specific config files for mods that change the planets/moons colors

Downloading now. I've been wanting this as a stock feature since I started playing. But I'm happy to get it as a mod too!

Thanks for making this.

BTW, are you going to use AVC (Add-on Version Checker)? I like how it makes it super-easy to see which mods have updated versions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.