[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

Yes :), just it seems not everyone agree with the star's name, so kerbol, kerstar, starker, starbol, whatever, it's a star at the first place :P.

Sunshine... :cool: one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made !

The effect could be an option of the plug-in too.

Don't worry you will be overwhelmed by options soon :D.

And it's officially Kerbol (it really sounds like a Breton word).

Edited by Valerian

Thanks. I can't test it, but the screenshots and comparisons look really well.

Will you be developing this further? KSC and other light sources on the planet could make use of this too.

It's the very early release of this mod, which I made over the weekend, as my very first mod: of course I will be developing it much further :D

What do you have in mind exactly? Now that I feel much more comfortable with Vector3 and Quaternion, I'm up for bigger challenges ^^

Enjoying the mod so far. I looked at the code to try and answer this question, but I can't follow vector transforms at all :D

Is the light color based at all on the average color of the terrain below or is it a simple color per planet? Kerbin is really the only body that multiple colors makes sense for: blue for over the oceans, green/yellow over land, white over the poles. I figure that actually sampling the color of the terrain would be and expensive operation, but perhaps simple bitmaps (like for biomes) could give a cheap lookup based on lat/lon.

Enjoying the mod so far. I looked at the code to try and answer this question, but I can't follow vector transforms at all :D

Is the light color based at all on the average color of the terrain below or is it a simple color per planet? Kerbin is really the only body that multiple colors makes sense for: blue for over the oceans, green/yellow over land, white over the poles. I figure that actually sampling the color of the terrain would be and expensive operation, but perhaps simple bitmaps (like for biomes) could give a cheap lookup based on lat/lon.

Currently it's using a list of colors in a config file, but I like your idea, I think it might be possible to get the color directly from the rendered surface, with a virtual camera or something maybe.

I legit MLG 360 noscoped the screen when I first saw this.

10/10 It's okay.

Thank you!

I might ask for a bit of your help later, I want to make it work with your auroras too, but I need to check if it would be any realistic, maybe only by night?.

Currently it's using a list of colors in a config file, but I like your idea, I think it might be possible to get the color directly from the rendered surface, with a virtual camera or something maybe.

Ohh, that would allow for automatic lighting on custom planets (I dunno if those are still being supported or not) and work for cloud mods too I reckon.

If you wanted to look at the static bitmap lookup, here's Harv's post when biomes were being developed which explains a bit of the backend. [EDIT] looking at the CBAttribute, you couldn't use it directly to get a color, but there are mods that get a color from a bitmap I believe.[/edit] A very very blurred map of the bodies that warrant it (kerbin/duna) can average a large area of color for very little CPU use if you want to have a backup system.

4W2Ul5Xl.png

Edited by kujuman

Hey, just dropping by to say that this is awesome and really adds to the immersion :)

Just a quick remark: I think that the coloured reflection starts a little early, on Kerbin it becomes very visible around 30 kms, which looks a little bit early to me. But maybe it's just my taste...

Hey, just dropping by to say that this is awesome and really adds to the immersion :)

Just a quick remark: I think that the coloured reflection starts a little early, on Kerbin it becomes very visible around 30 kms, which looks a little bit early to me. But maybe it's just my taste...

Thank you for the feedback, currently I'm mostly testing in lower and upper space, for the atmosphere I will wait until I add an in-game UI to tweak settings and find the best numbers :P

I found one interesting interaction with this mod ... the planets from Distant Objects Mod are affected by the "reflected" light. Follow a ship around Kerbin, and watch some of the Distant Object planet impostors, and they become much brighter about the same time the ship you're flying reaches daylight. It's not a big deal to me, but it took me a few orbits to figure out why the other planets kept getting brighter and dimmer.

I found one interesting interaction with this mod ... the planets from Distant Objects Mod are affected by the "reflected" light. Follow a ship around Kerbin, and watch some of the Distant Object planet impostors, and they become much brighter about the same time the ship you're flying reaches daylight. It's not a big deal to me, but it took me a few orbits to figure out why the other planets kept getting brighter and dimmer.

interesting ...

Currently I'm using directional lights on all the scene, on layer 0. Maybe I could use spots closer to the ship, in order to avoid such an issue. I will check where Distant Object sprites are in the space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.