[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

I've been using the experimental version for a while. I must say that works very, very well, looks great and is truly perfect for a stock install.
But for heavy-environmentally-modified installs (like with KSPRC), where the scenes become more complicated, the experimental version does a visible impact on frame rate. A similar thing happens with particles systems in Kopernicus and with Texture Replacer Relfections (which works in a similar way to your experimental version but generating a small cubemap of the scene). The fps drop is completely logical: if we stack several shaders (EVE+Scatterer and so on), particles (EVE+Kopernicus), huge textures (clouds, details and so on)... at the end we have a bottleneck.
It's not your fault at all, maybe with Unity5 we will see an improvement in all this aspects but, meanwhile I want to do a humble request: would be possible to maintain both ways? I mean the current color config system and the experimental version, to be able to use one or other as needed?

45 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Just an FYI, the Experimental release link seems to be broken. Could have something to do with the MediaFire forum ban. 

Yes it was on Mediafire, and that was the first time I ever put something on Mediafire ... just before the ban :P . I will try to rehost it very soon, maybe on Dropbox (any suggestions?).

Sorry for not updating since a long time, I have a hard time being consistent on my work for PlanetShine. I think I will finish the experimental version after they migrate to Unity 5.

I also have a bit of an ADD, so either I'm completely passionate about coding something, or I can't find the willpower to.

In the meantime I have started to learn Unity (5), and code my first little game with it, which I might also release at some point on Android/iOS app stores.

--------------

2 hours ago, Proot said:

I've been using the experimental version for a while. I must say that works very, very well, looks great and is truly perfect for a stock install.
But for heavy-environmentally-modified installs (like with KSPRC), where the scenes become more complicated, the experimental version does a visible impact on frame rate. A similar thing happens with particles systems in Kopernicus and with Texture Replacer Relfections (which works in a similar way to your experimental version but generating a small cubemap of the scene). The fps drop is completely logical: if we stack several shaders (EVE+Scatterer and so on), particles (EVE+Kopernicus), huge textures (clouds, details and so on)... at the end we have a bottleneck.
It's not your fault at all, maybe with Unity5 we will see an improvement in all this aspects but, meanwhile I want to do a humble request: would be possible to maintain both ways? I mean the current color config system and the experimental version, to be able to use one or other as needed?

With the experience I'm currently getting from my game project under Unity 5 I hope to get enough knowledge to properly do everything correctly in the future for PlanetShine performance wise.

Learning to code a mod without knowing Unity beforehand was an interesting experience, but now I see that this lack of knowledge led to many bad practices in PlanetShine's code.

Edited by Valerian

11 minutes ago, Valerian said:

Yes it was on Mediafire, and that was the first time I ever put something on Mediafire ... just before the ban :P . I will try to rehost it very soon, maybe on Dropbox (any suggestions?).

You created a Git repository for the previous version of Planetshine. GitHub is probably the most reliable and up to date way of hosting your mods in my opinion. Why not utilise it more by releasing to your dev branch?

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

You created a Git repository for the previous version of Planetshine. GitHub is probably the most reliable and up to date way of hosting your mods in my opinion. Why not utilise it more by releasing to your dev branch?

It's there too, look at the branch named "experimental".

And yes I always forget I can use github for hosting releases too.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Valerian said:

Planetshine can do the same things as AmbientLightAdjustment, simply change the Vacuum Ambient Light level in PlanetShine options and it will have EXACTLY the same effect.

I marked it incompatible because both are changing the vacuum ambient light at the same time, and PlanetShine already include the same feature + more.

Hm, I do not have access to a pc for testing at the moment. Does planetshine offer a prominent slider like ambient light adjustment? That would certainly go a long way in user comfort/accessibility.

About the experimental version and performance, would it be possible to read out a "dominant color" for each celectial object at game load and use that as the default? That would guarantee compatibility with planet mods without specific configs while avoiding performance issues during play. And then have an "advanced" option for those who can handle the more accurate/real-time readout of biomes and stuff.

7 minutes ago, Yemo said:

Hm, I do not have access to a pc for testing at the moment. Does planetshine offer a prominent slider like ambient light adjustment? That would certainly go a long way in user comfort/accessibility.

About the experimental version and performance, would it be possible to read out a "dominant color" for each celectial object at game load and use that as the default? That would guarantee compatibility with planet mods without specific configs while avoiding performance issues during play. And then have an "advanced" option for those who can handle the more accurate/real-time readout of biomes and stuff.

All of those things are already planned, but I don't have time to spare on PlanetShine right now: being unemployed since already too long, I have other priorities right now, sorry :)

The "dominant color" color feature might be a bit hard to do and is not a priority, but there will be many options to help with performance.

Anyway, it should not affect performance much at all, since the virtual cameras are only rendering the planets and not the vessel, and they do this on a tiny resolution (64x64).

Edited by Valerian

@Valerian: No problem at all, rl comes first, just something which came to mind and I wanted to write it down before it gets lost among all the other stuff going on at the moment.

I added PlanetShine to the ckan mod suggestions for SETI-BalanceMod, though with the kerbalstuff situation it will take a while to be relevant anyway.

Thank you for the awesome mod!

3 minutes ago, Yemo said:

@Valerian: No problem at all, rl comes first, just something which came to mind and I wanted to write it down before it gets lost among all the other stuff going on at the moment.

I added PlanetShine to the ckan mod suggestions for SETI-BalanceMod, though with the kerbalstuff situation it will take a while to be relevant anyway.

Thank you for the awesome mod!

Thanks to you too!

I usually play BTSM and appreciate its "unmanned first" approach, and I'm glad that your mod is offering a stock alternative for that, I will probably use it when I start playing KSP again :)

Hello,

when I install this mod and start the game I do get the message about allowing update checks for the mod so I guess it's installed fine, but then during game-play I see barely no difference at all.  I have no idea how to access the settings menu for instance.  I have read on this thread that I should install the Toolbar mod but that did not help (apparently the toolbar mod did not change anything either).  This is very disappointing.

I'm using KSP v1.0.5 on Steam with automatic updates.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2016 at 12:50 AM, Checker_guy said:

When can we expect an update for 1.1? Thanks!

I just realized 1.1 pre-release was out, I will begin working on it right now.

Sorry everyone for the lack of replies since a few weeks.

On 3/6/2016 at 7:19 AM, grondilu said:

Hello,

when I install this mod and start the game I do get the message about allowing update checks for the mod so I guess it's installed fine, but then during game-play I see barely no difference at all.  I have no idea how to access the settings menu for instance.  I have read on this thread that I should install the Toolbar mod but that did not help (apparently the toolbar mod did not change anything either).  This is very disappointing.

I'm using KSP v1.0.5 on Steam with automatic updates.

You don't need toolbar, there should be an icon for planetshine on the top right menu. If not, you did not install it correctly, meaning that the files are not in the right place.

On 3/3/2016 at 3:43 PM, Thorbane said:

I found an odd bug/feature in the experimental version.  It picks up the coloration of the scanner overlay.

[...]

Of course it does, unfortunately, because it's based on the planet appearance within the game.

Thanks for reporting it, I'm not sure if it can fixed easily.

On 2/27/2016 at 6:35 PM, Bitmouse said:

Hello, what is included in the PlanetShine - Default configuration pachage?

it's the normal default settings, as opposed to other settings that might me provided by visual mod packs such as Astronomer's pack

On 2/21/2016 at 10:31 PM, Snark said:

Are there any plans to post PlanetShine to SpaceDock, now that the previous hosting site is gone?

Sure I will, and I will update CKAN for it as well

I just released an update for KSP 1.1:

• if you want to play with KSP 1.1, you should use PlanetShine v0.2.5
  • if you want to play with KSP 1.0.5 or older, you should use PlanetShine v0.2.4.2

I did not take time to update the experimental version, I really don't have time for that right now, sorry.

Edited by Valerian

Nice to see done a pre release for 1.1 but PlanetShine-0.2.5.zip file can be found from what i see only on curse, i was look on your https://github.com/valerian/ksp-planetshine/ noo release, noo zip & missing finish plugin dll compile version for 1.1 (my be you was not finish publish all staff there). Same hope you was seen kerbalstuff is gone & now http://spacedock.info/ it is use

I will test soon i will can & for sure you just made a lot ppls happy

Cheer & salute

On 4/4/2016 at 5:43 PM, Blacks said:

Nice to see done a pre release for 1.1 but PlanetShine-0.2.5.zip file can be found from what i see only on curse, i was look on your https://github.com/valerian/ksp-planetshine/ noo release, noo zip & missing finish plugin dll compile version for 1.1 (my be you was not finish publish all staff there). Same hope you was seen kerbalstuff is gone & now http://spacedock.info/ it is use

I will test soon i will can & for sure you just made a lot ppls happy

Cheer & salute

Yes for the moment it's only on Curse, I will put on Spacedock later.

I only use GitHub to release the experimental zip.

27 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

Hey, when I installed Planetshine on 1.1 I could not access any building, other than the VAB.  Since removing it, all is working again.

That's very strange, it's very unlikely, can you look at the logs and search for any error related to PlanetShine?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.