Valerian

[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Recommended Posts

Since no one posted this here:

Yes, it works with KSP 1.3.1. I tested enabling/disabling it and coloration effect works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible PlanetShine question--though it may be a combination of many / any things: Anyone else getting a bright spotlights (especially noticeable when opposite the sun) on orbited planets via their ship lights?

I thought it was just weird glitches with sunflare/scatterer/etc., but turning off the lights made the effect go away. The effect also dropped when switching PlanetShine off, but I have a bunch of things installed that could be contributing to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

Possible PlanetShine question--though it may be a combination of many / any things: Anyone else getting a bright spotlights (especially noticeable when opposite the sun) on orbited planets via their ship lights?

I thought it was just weird glitches with sunflare/scatterer/etc., but turning off the lights made the effect go away. The effect also dropped when switching PlanetShine off, but I have a bunch of things installed that could be contributing to this.

It’s not planetshine. It has to do with the way the lights are emitted. If it’s stock lights probably nothing you can do, but if it’s lights from a mod, there ways to fix it, but the code would need to be changed. I have seen the issue you described a few times and the devs always had to go back and recode the lights. There are a couple differently was to code them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It’s not planetshine. It has to do with the way the lights are emitted. If it’s stock lights probably nothing you can do, but if it’s lights from a mod, there ways to fix it, but the code would need to be changed. I have seen the issue you described a few times and the devs always had to go back and recode the lights. There are a couple differently was to code them. 

That's what I figured-- that Planetshine is simply "enabling" this behavior (it doesn't happen with PlanetShine disabled). I'd seen it before off-and-on as well, so was surprised by it after I started playing with 1.3.1 and just a handful of visual mods & parts packs.

Digging into the nitty-gritty, the craft in question was pure-stock, but using Ven's Revamp. It adds lights to docking ports among other things, so may be using a bad method of adding/changing lights. With that in mind, I'll do a quick run w/o VSR and see if it happens. Sounds like I could move this discussion to that thread, instead. Then a patch/fix for those parts could be considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

Any way to make ships brighter in stock without planetshine?

In what way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

In what way?

the same way planetshine increases it, with vacuum ambient light

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

the same way planetshine increases it, with vacuum ambient light

Stock KSP has some basic ambient lighting sliders in the settings menu but it can't adjust surface/atmosphere and vacuum separately:

BZHSfcl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2017 at 2:58 PM, Galileo said:

It’s not planetshine. It has to do with the way the lights are emitted. If it’s stock lights probably nothing you can do, but if it’s lights from a mod, there ways to fix it, but the code would need to be changed. I have seen the issue you described a few times and the devs always had to go back and recode the lights. There are a couple differently was to code them. 

Since there's no attenuation on those lights the energy increases with distance enormously. So in this world you just need to build a big enough focusing lens and put it a couple million miles away, shine a little flashlight at it, and you could fry the Death Star :)

 

When folks upthread are saying Planetshine is working with 1.31, is that 0.2.5.2 or 0.5beta? Finally getting around to upgrading to 1.31.

Edited by vossiewulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2017 at 3:08 AM, vossiewulf said:

When folks upthread are saying Planetshine is working with 1.31, is that 0.2.5.2 or 0.5beta? Finally getting around to upgrading to 1.31.

I am using 0.2.5.2 version with 1.3.1 with no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 9:56 PM, Galenmacil said:
 

Since no one posted this here:

Yes, it works with KSP 1.3.1. I tested enabling/disabling it and coloration effect works.

Be nice if we could get a 1.3.1 build though to reduce warnings and possible incompatibilities

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Be nice if we could get a 1.3.1 build though to reduce warnings and possible incompatibilities

 

You can edit the PlanetShine.version file in the plugin folder to something like this and fix the warning

Spoiler

{
    "NAME":"PlanetShine",
    "URL":"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/valerian/ksp-planetshine/master/PlanetShine.version",
    "DOWNLOAD":"http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/224876-planetshine",
    "GITHUB":
    {
        "USERNAME":"valerian",
        "REPOSITORY":"ksp-planetshine",
        "ALLOW_PRE_RELEASE":false,
    },
    "VERSION":
    {
        "MAJOR":0,
        "MINOR":3,
        "PATCH":5,
        "BUILD":3
    },
    "KSP_VERSION":
    {
        "MAJOR":1,
        "MINOR":3,
        "PATCH":1
    },
    "KSP_VERSION_MIN":
    {
        "MAJOR":1,
        "MINOR":3,
        "PATCH":1
    },
    "KSP_VERSION_MAX":
    {
        "MAJOR":1,
        "MINOR":3,
        "PATCH":99
    }
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although it appears that support for PlanetShine has ceased, I still have a problem to report.  This is information that users and mod developers might find useful.

Be advised that PlanetShine does not work correctly with multiple star systems.  Based on the result of in-game tests, PlanetShine apparently always identifies the primary star of a multi-star system as the source of sunlight.  For instance, if planets are in orbit around the secondary star of a binary system, and vessels are in orbit around those planets, then the direction of light reflected onto those vessels presumes that the lighted face of the planet is the one facing the primary star.  The secondary star, which is the actual source of sunlight, produces no reflected light.

For any multi-star planet packs, it appears that PlanetShine can be configured to work only with the planets orbiting the primary star.  For planets around other stars, you'll just have to go without PlanetShine for those.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else getting virus warnings for the Curse download?

https://imgur.com/ZxecM5Y for the screenshot because for some perverse reason the KSP forums won't let me attach *any* image, no matter where it's hosted....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to use the direct link, not an Imgur link.

What antivirus are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can confirm it seems to work perfectly in 1.3.1 if you modify the .version file as MeCripp said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 2:06 PM, LitaAlto said:

Anyone else getting virus warnings for the Curse download?

https://imgur.com/ZxecM5Y for the screenshot because for some perverse reason the KSP forums won't let me attach *any* image, no matter where it's hosted....

Well, Comodo let me download it. I think your AV is producing a false positive.

Edited by TDplay
comodo doesn't say virus, it just blocks dl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this has been asked before, but all my research has turned up dry. I can't find a config for RSS, and was wondering where it might be. I also couldn't find a readMe file in the .zip I downloaded, which was mentioned earlier.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, westleyTwain said:

I can't find a config for RSS, and was wondering where it might be.

It's included in the RSS download...  RealSolarSystem/Compatibility/PlanetShineColors.cfg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Rantanplan1986 said:

It throws the version Warning on start up, but still works fine

You can remove the version warning by updating BOTH these as follows files using Notepad:  (located in:  ...\GameData\PlanetShine\Plugins)

File: PlanetShine.version

Change in all 3 sections:  KSP_VERSION, KSP_VERSION_MIN & KSP_VERSION_MAX

  • OLD:  "MINOR":2,
  • NEW:  "MINOR":4,

 

File:  MiniAVC.xml

  • OLD:  <AllowCheck>true</AllowCheck>
  • NEW:  <AllowCheck>false</AllowCheck>

 

This removed the 1.2 warning on startup, for me.

Edited by MBlazerGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MBlazerGuy said:

You can remove the version warning by updating BOTH these as follows files using Notepad:  (located in:  ...\GameData\PlanetShine\Plugins)

File: PlanetShine.version

Change in all 3 sections:  KSP_VERSION, KSP_VERSION_MIN & KSP_VERSION_MAX

  • OLD:  "MINOR":2,
  • NEW:  "MINOR":4,

 

File:  MiniAVC.xml

  • OLD:  <AllowCheck>true</AllowCheck>
  • NEW:  <AllowCheck>false</AllowCheck>

 

This removed the 1.2 warning on startup, for me.

Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.