[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

I'm still playing with settings, looking for the best balance. Right now I haven't touched the ground ambient light... but then, I haven't been recording in the dark on the ground either. The vacuum light intensity I changed to .175 and that seems to work okay. Spacecraft are clearly visible in the recording, but night still looks dark. Playing around with it some more, it looks like you might bet away with settings as low as .125 or so, depending on what you're recording and what look you're trying for.

You think I should include alternate defaults for people who want to keep stock game brightness?

Has anyone considered actually darkening the nigh side ambient light on the surface? Right now, it just looks blankly FAR too light, maybe reduce it to around 0.2? Or better yet, make it configurable!

It's already the case in PlanetShine, but by default it's only overriding 50% of stock ground ambient light. Change the value of "Ground ambient light override" to 100% in the settings and you will get what you want.

I'm planning to make the night very dark on ground on next update, because there will be moonlight :)

It's already the case in PlanetShine, but by default it's only overriding 50% of stock ground ambient light. Change the value of "Ground ambient light override" to 100% in the settings and you will get what you want.

I'm planning to make the night very dark on ground on next update, because there will be moonlight :)

That sounds great!

You are not supposed to literally replace the DLL of Ambient Light Adjustment, you just need uninstall it normally, and install PlanetShine normally. The way you did it, the mod was probably not working properly.

Sorry I was speaking in some kind of engineering shorthand. :) I did not do something like take the ambient DLL out and put yours in its place. That'd be dumb, yea. :) I renamed the ambient light DLL to not be a DLL so KSP would not load it (I do this all the time to test the removal of a DLL without actually deleting the file). I then installed PlanetShine in the normal copy-to-GameData way.

Anyway I think it was this:

V0.2.2 - 2014-10-20

- Included a custom planets/moons color file to use with the mod Real Solar System

- Vacuum ambient light level can now be set MUCH brighter

- New option in "CelestialBodies.cfg" to change the level of ground ambient overriding (I made it mostly for compatibility with RSS)

- Fixed some small typos and tweaked some calculations a bit

I was using 0.2.1 last time, and just tried again with this new version. It was much better. I can now remove ambient DLL entirely. Thanks!

Great mod. I've been using it for some time without the slightest problem :-)

I have a small suggestion: what about being able to change the color of the ambient light?

That would be useful with bright colored skyboxes.

Here is a screenshot I just took with a bright redish skybox. A red ambient light would make sense in that context.

People with crazy EVE skyboxes would probably need colored ambient light as well.

Great mod. I've been using it for some time without the slightest problem :-)

I have a small suggestion: what about being able to change the color of the ambient light?

That would be useful with bright colored skyboxes.

Here is a screenshot I just took with a bright redish skybox. A red ambient light would make sense in that context.

People with crazy EVE skyboxes would probably need colored ambient light as well.

Thank you.

Of course, makes complete sense for EVE skyboxes! I will add this setting.

this runs great in x64, no major issues. Cockpits are a bit dark when in planetshadow (both in orbit & landed, the console/cockpit lights don't illuminate kerbalnaut faces) but all else, I love the simulated raytrace-like color bleed effect, V. nice :D

I've downloaded this, and i don;t know if anyone else has encountered this, but all my vehicles now have a bright white light on one side. not from the sun. and it doesn't dissapear when on the night-side.

have i done something wrong?

I've downloaded this, and i don;t know if anyone else has encountered this, but all my vehicles now have a bright white light on one side. not from the sun. and it doesn't dissapear when on the night-side.

try lowering the (sliders) in the settings window, cant remember witch one was it exactly (ambient light or something like that)

I need to try this, looks great. Does it stop the problem of there being twilight on airless worlds? (Seeing as that effect might be related to the way they deal with light and atmospheres)

Edited by tater

I need to try this, looks great. Does it stop the problem of there being twilight on airless worlds? (Seeing as that effect might be related to the way they deal with light and atmospheres)

What do you mean by "twilight in airless worlds"? Night on airless worlds is almost pitch black with PlanetShine, if that's what you were referring to.

- - - Updated - - -

It shouldn't happen with the default settings, can you check in your logs if everything seems ok?

Can I make a request for this mod to also be hosted on KerbalStuff?

I tend to follow mods there to get update emails and without AVC or that I tend to miss updates.

I know I should just check the thread often but I find I just don`t...

Can I make a request for this mod to also be hosted on KerbalStuff?

I tend to follow mods there to get update emails and without AVC or that I tend to miss updates.

I know I should just check the thread often but I find I just don`t...

It's on Kerbal Stuff too, I just didn't put the link on the main post: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/266/PlanetShine

It shouldn't happen with the default settings, can you check in your logs if everything seems ok?

I messed with the settings: no help. still have a blinding white light from the opposing side to the sun, even on night side.

how do i check logs (stupid question) :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.