Squad Added A Stock Space Shuttle

The Jedi Master

Until you reach about 25-30km, at which point full RCS couldn't hold it and it spun out of control.

I actually found it to be a fairly nice vehicle. The thing that ended up helping me the most was flowing the fuel between the tanks that make up the EFT. They should really burn bottom to top, so fuel should be transferred to the front of the vehicle to help it stay stable.

Oh, the good ol' Hermès, that was never done because it was being literally designed by a committee :D

More seriously, having wings in top of a rocket is also NOT a good thing. Between the Hermès and the NASA Space Shuttle designs, TBH the choice is hard in terms of disadvantages ...

While the design itself is genious, flying it takes skill.[...]

Thanks. I will try flying that ship with your tips. And maybe post pictures on success.

Let's sum this up as "How to fly Learstar 1A (the Shuttle looking thing)", so that search engines can find it (hope fully that doesn't screw it up :D).

That's the way I tried to put all of my planes into orbit. And most of the time it worked.

I think rocket engineers came to the conclusion that it's safer to sit on 300 tons of explosives than beside it. Escaping is easier and nothing falling off the fuel tanks can hit you. But the Space Shuttle will always be iconic and anytime a vessel is mounted to the side of a rocket, three generations will associate that with the Space Shuttle.

@Fendleton: Do you mean it's a good starting-point in that it shows you why you shouldn't do it but if you do you shouldn't do it like this? (Honestly, I can't tell if you're joking).

It's a good starting point because it doesn't work, but it's not actually that far off. Thus, you can see what's wrong with it (and there's quite a long list) and fix it while making an actual wokring ship.

Edit: Except when you run it perfectly as other seem to have done. Do you have to adjust each of the shuttle's engines individually, or can it be action-grouped?

Edited by Fendleton

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.