Launchpad explodes on take off

When I launch my latest rocket consisting of a 5 mainsail powered cluster with 10 large SRBs, the launch pad explodes.

Only found this because usually I use launch clamps that hold the rocket a fair distance above the pad... and this time I did'nt. (about 1 kerbal height between the engines and the pad)

Replicated the effect again and again with the revert function, so I guess the damage threshold on the launchpad is set a touch too low.

There Is No problem In this issue. It is part of the game,and if you dont want the launchpad easily destroyed,delete your save and put it to easy settings. simple as that.

There Is No problem In this issue. It is part of the game,and if you dont want the launchpad easily destroyed,delete your save and put it to easy settings. simple as that.

I disagree, The launchpad is designed to launch rockets! It should be destroyed by an impact above a certain speed.

Maybe the kerbals ran out of concrete and made it from styrofoam :P. Now back on topic, maybe the launchpad is a bit too fragile, I mean, you should be able to launch rockets from it, but it shouldn't survive a falling stage.

I think there's actually a bug (or maybe a feature) here; I had the same happen to me with a modded install last night. In that case, the bottom of my rocket was slightly below the VAB floor. My rocket was actually fine on launch, but if I warped time on the launch pad, coming out of warp would cause the pad to burst into flames and become a devastated ruin. (The rocket continued to be fine.)

Raising the craft slightly in the VAB fixed the problem, so I suspect the issue is that clipping your rocket into the launch pad causes it to be destroyed in much the same way that crashing into it would have that effect.

I was just about to create a topic about this. I have a 114 ton craft with 12 LT-2 landing struts. When I tried launching it with the struts starting off deployed - the LaunchPad blew up :0.0:

jdfaxOC.jpg

It seems fine when I launch it with the landing struts retracted though.

4Bb1ibr.jpg

I mean come on, it's not really even that heavy! Good thing I test all the expensive craft in sandbox before launching them in career mode, or I would be sunk. These retrievable turbojet engines and intakes cost a fortune!

After playing around with it a bit more - I've devised an Ultimate LaunchPad Demolition Tool. It completely obliterates the LaunchPad and gleefully continues bouncing above the rubble, unscathed by the carnage.

poVAUMH.png

Edited by Jod

It might be a good idea to refine how the buildings receive damage then. I was worried about something like this happening since the feature was unveiled. My only idea for solving it long-term is to implement some sort of per-location damage system (i.e. hitting something in location X will do more/less damage than hitting it in location Y).

For now I'd do what Bandock said: use the Stability Enhancers to hold rockets off of the pad.

I have had some success using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to work around this issue. It eases the startup of physics so you don't get the sudden lurch normally seen in stock KSP. This video shows a 3500t rocket without clamps on the pad...

With KJR installed (with or without the main, part joint reinforcement enabled) this rockets loads and sits directly on the pad quite happily.

Obviously, this case can be fixed with launch clamps but the problem can also occur with large planes on the runway where launch clamps are rather less useful...

• 1 year later...