[SOLVED] Help; adding custom sound to a part...

I'm quite new to the whole config side of KSP. I wanted to try and make an animated part, which was easier than I thought thanks to partTools, but how do I go around adding custom sounds to a part? I've read the documentation, but I feel like something is missing there... Not quite sure.

I've got my sounds folder with my .wav inside.

I've tried something like this:

EFFECTS
{
sinkMotor
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = Heatsink/sounds/sound_extend
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = false
}
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = ExtendShield
startEventGUIName = "Extend"
endEventGUIName = "Contract"
toggleActionName = Toggle Heat Sink

startRetractEffect = sinkMotor
startDeployEffect = sinkMotor
}

I don't know, but is startRetractEffect or ModuleAnimateGeneric an issue here? Is there a list of possible calls somewhere? Didn't find any in the doc. I'm more of a designer than a "coder", so go easy on me please. :blush:

Just to be clear, when I right click the part and hit "Extend", the animation starts, which is when I want my sound to start as well.

Edited by Neeken

Well, that's a big part of the problem. Can't really find many solid code references online. And all examples are for engines and whatnot, which is not what I need. They use "sound_filename = activate" etc. It's the "activate" here I need to swap out. Sadly, I can't find the different possible calls to put there instead. Of course, might be the one I have to use either way, but I would like a confirmation.

stock ModuleAnimateGeneric doesn't call FX nodes. You have to use FSAnimateGeneric

I see, will try it. Though I'm pretty sure I did. And this is the main problem, I couldn't find a reference to "FSAnimateGeneric" anywhere. The API isn't... well, very good... :P

ModuleAnimateGeneric doesn't have settings for FX at all. for stock part modules, only ModuleEngineFX calls FXnode for particles and audio; and it only does so in 5 specific conditions: Power; Running; Engage; Disengage; Flameout

Firespitter has one of the best module documentations available in KSP mods; It's not part of stock modules. Check B9's landing gears for configs that can help your setup.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iD52DfHft04Hb48TEhF5a4n5JOc8efUevdg5Y_QPICQ/edit

... it only does so in 5 specific conditions: Power; Running; Engage; Disengage; Flameout

I see. So that's the issue then.

Firespitter has one of the best module documentations available in KSP mods; It's not part of stock modules. Check B9's landing gears for configs that can help your setup.

Yes, I do have a firespitter version that was in a b9 pack or something, can't remember where I got it from atm. Will take a look, thanks.

Edit: So it seems like it's not possible to add sound to other types of parts (other than gears, engines...) without creating a plugin yourself. I'll keep looking though.

Edited by Neeken

Well... Never mind me. You were totally right, I only had to use FSAnimateGeneric. >< No idea why it didn't work the first few times I tried. Thanks for your help though. :)

So this is what it ended up as:

EFFECTS
{
sinkMotor
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = HeatSink/sounds/sound_extend
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.0
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = false
}
}
}

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = ExtendShield
startEventGUIName = Extend
endEventGUIName = Contract
toggleActionName = Toggle Heat Sink
playAnimationOnEditorSpawn = False
startRetractEffect = sinkMotor
startDeployEffect = sinkMotor
}

Which was pretty much what I tested with earlier. I did update the firespitter.dll at the same time as I rewrote the entire script, so who knows if it was the dll or the script that had errors. *note to self (again): eliminate one thing at a time!*

Yea, I'm aware of that. But I did test multiple times with FS instead after you mentioned it, but it still wouldn't work. I might've messed up my paths or something silly like that, as I've re-exported the .mu file and renamed everything all over again as well. But what ever, it works, so I'm happy. :]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.