0.25 and EVA problems

Hello everybody. Honestly this is a problem I have had for a long time. But it has become intollerable in 0.25. The problem is that when I EVA in space my kerbal is always pointing in the wrong direction. As a result it is incredibly difficult to control kerbals with RCS. Prior to 0.24 I would avoid any kind of space walks, just eva, eva report, board and all was good, and in 0.24 I was able to do rescue missions with the odd quicksave, but now in 0.25 not only am I experiencing even more dificulty controlling the kerbal, doing a quick EVA without letting go does not seem to work, Inevitably before I can manage to click keep report, Jeb has slid off the stairs and pressing F no longer boards. Annoying but if I could get Jeb to atleast point the right direction instead of space planking I think I could manage. Any tips?

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you activate the RCS pack the kerbal will face the direction that the camera is facing (regardless of direction of travel) from there it's just a matter of using WASDQE .... CTRL to translate him where you need him. It helps to set your vessel as your target and keep that centered in your screen. Also, I find this quote helpful.

If you think you're moving you're moving. If you know you're moving you are moving too fast.

Hello everybody. Honestly this is a problem I have had for a long time. But it has become intollerable in 0.25. The problem is that when I EVA in space my kerbal is always pointing in the wrong direction. As a result it is incredibly difficult to control kerbals with RCS. Prior to 0.24 I would avoid any kind of space walks, just eva, eva report, board and all was good, and in 0.24 I was able to do rescue missions with the odd quicksave, but now in 0.25 not only am I experiencing even more dificulty controlling the kerbal, doing a quick EVA without letting go does not seem to work, Inevitably before I can manage to click keep report, Jeb has slid off the stairs and pressing F no longer boards. Annoying but if I could get Jeb to atleast point the right direction instead of space planking I think I could manage. Any tips?

My kerbals do slide off stairs, I don't find it to be a problem though. Eva with suit fuel works normally for me in all directions.

I haven't had a big problem with it, but I too am experiencing problems with the camera. The Kerbal will NOT face the direction the camera is facing and instead I'm looking at Jeb's feet while guiding him. I also have noticed lately that Kerbals fall off the ladder more often as well as send themselves cartwheeling into space when trying to grab ladders, but maybe it's not new. Maybe the EVA behaviors of my kerbals has finally just gotten on my nerves.

I found the answer myself on the wiki. You press space to get the kerbal to face the camera. This was an old problem I had been having. Finally I got Jeb back in there, but he doesnt seem to want to hold on for long. Heck the last EVA i did he litterally flew away from the spacecraft spinning as soon as I clicked EVA. will test with other kerbals.

Edited by kaaaaaaan

Kerbals can fly away from your ship for no apparent reason, but much of the time the reason this is happening is the hatch is partially blocked.

Not in this case, it was a super simple rocket on a circular orbit with just a top mounted parachute on the pod.

Kerbals can fly away from your ship for no apparent reason, but much of the time the reason this is happening is the hatch is partially blocked.

Sadly, not true (at least not in .025). There are increasing reports of an EVA bug. (I experienced this myself in .25 - 100% of the time my Kerbal simply flies away from the ship.)

I'm going to have to go check my current ship, because I've been doing EVAs for science and every time I leave the ship I find myself about 20m from it and flying away. It's annoying, but possible to handle. Sliding down the ladder on EVAs seems to be common, but at least that's easy to recover from.

Edit: Maybe that simulates the hatch opening and depressurizing? lol

Definitely a bug, it's almost as if an ejection force is being applied to the Kerbal, wouldn't be the first ejection force bug.

Edit: Maybe that simulates the hatch opening and depressurizing? lol

Only if they are trying to simulate a complete ineptitude in the space program. Command pods aren't depressurized by simply blowing the hatch lol.

I can confirm that sometimes I get blown out of the capsule, while sometimes I can stay on the ladder. This is while doing multiple EVA's on the same flight, MkI capsule. As for getting flung away when trying to grab a ladder, that's usually (in my experience) from trying to grab the ladder while moving too fast. The slowly drifting up/down a ladder is an old but annoying bug.

Hey Squad, can you please set the EVA to place a kerbal stationary on a ladder outside the capsule and hold him there for 2 seconds after exiting the capsule? That should fix the bug (probably not as easy as it sounds though), I hope, unless they clip something. Then they can blame the engineer that built the thing for getting flung away.

I found the answer myself on the wiki. You press space to get the kerbal to face the camera.

Unfortunately, this only works for the yaw axis. It doesn't work for the pitch axis, which is the main problem. Also, the expedient of dragging the Kerbal in pitch or roll immediately stops having effect as soon as you give another movement command--the Kerbal goes back to his original facing. The problem with this is that you might find yourself having to use the up/down controls to approach your hatch instead of w/s.

Fortunately, help is at hand in the form of this mod.

This was an old problem I had been having. Finally I got Jeb back in there, but he doesnt seem to want to hold on for long. Heck the last EVA i did he litterally flew away from the spacecraft spinning as soon as I clicked EVA. will test with other kerbals.

If you have any part of the rocket that's close to the hatch, not close enough to block it but close enough that the Kerbal's huge helmit will touch it even just a little when he spawns on the outside, then the Kerbal will go flying off the hatch immediately upon spawning.

Here's a very simple example. Take the 1-man can and put the short box girder you start career games with on top of it, then EVA the Kerbal on the launchpad. Due to the slope of the pod's sides, the top of the helmet spawns overlapping the box girder and the Kerbal gets tossed off the ladder.

This problem is mostly confined to the 1-man and 3-man capsules due to their hatches being near their tops and their sides sloping in. Then you have to worry when you stack any thing on top that's not the same size as the node on the top of the pod. I've never had this happen on a Hitchhiker, Mobile Lab, or any other pod with the hatch flat on the side and in the middle, unless I stupidly attached some other part (like a light or science instrument) too close to the top of the hatch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.