EVA problems.

Hi all. New Kerbalnaut here. :D

I'm having an issue with EVA maybe someone could help me with.

No matter what attitude, orbit, or orientation, when I hit EVA my Kerbal comes flying out of the hatch like he has blown it off. I haven't found anything that says to depressurize before EVA, or anything like that. On the ground he also just falls off the lander even with the ladder in place.

I must be missing something obvious here. Anybody have any ideas? I'm using Win-7, and the 32 bit KSP.

Thanks.

JerryT

Do you have anything attached to your craft in the vicinity of your hatch? If so the Kerbal is probably colliding with that object and that is causing his rapid flight.

No, as I corrected you in the other thread, this is a long standing bug that's become more prevalent in .025. Please stop spreading the misinformation that this only happens when there is something in the vicinity of the hatch.

No, as I corrected you in the other thread, this is a long standing bug that's become more prevalent in .025. Please stop spreading the misinformation that this only happens when there is something in the vicinity of the hatch.

I just know that I haven't come across this issue in .25. At most my Kerbal will cause the pod to start rotating slightly.

Do you have anything attached to your craft in the vicinity of your hatch? If so the Kerbal is probably colliding with that object and that is causing his rapid flight.

Not that I can see. I try some basic flights and test it out.

Thanks.

There appear to be a few issues with command pods, the MK1 in particular, in 0.25.

One issue is that most items attached to the top of the MK1 pod can cause and EVAd Kerbal to be ejected away from the capsule. Some of the items which I've found cause this behavior when mounted on top of the MK1 include: Z-200 Battery, Oscar B fuel tank, MK16 parachute, OKTO2 probe core, PB-X150 Xenon tank, and the Small Inline Reaction Wheel.

Here's a workaround you may want to try: Mounting a Cubic Octagonal Strut to the top of the MK1 does not cause the Kerbal to be ejected. You can then mount stuff on top of the Cubic Octagonal Strut, again not causing Kerbals to be ejected. Unfortunately, the Cubic Octagonal Strut does not appear until you are fairly deep into the Tech Tree.. Otherwise, you could also try not mounting anything to the top of the MK1.

Kerbals now appear to be slowly sliding off hatch ladders, including the MK1 hatch ladder. So even if you eliminate the problem of being ejected, you still will need to pay attention to make sure the EVAd Kerbal doesn't slide off the hatch ladder. These are known issues, and appear to be new to 0.25.

Asking a question and then supplying a possible solution is by no means "spreading misinformation."

OP: I'm inclined to agree with the thought that something may be blocking the hatch in some fashion. Most likely a bug in terms of the game figuring out where parts really are and are not. If there are parts attached to the top of the pod, try moving those further away from the hatch.

As I haven't experienced it myself, that's really the only advice I can give at this time.

Asking a question and then supplying a possible solution is by no means "spreading misinformation."

OP: I'm inclined to agree with the thought that something may be blocking the hatch in some fashion. Most likely a bug in terms of the game figuring out where parts really are and are not. If there are parts attached to the top of the pod, try moving those further away from the hatch.

As I haven't experienced it myself, that's really the only advice I can give at this time.

Stop it you two, or we'll have to turn the ship around ..... :)

Let's leave it at this, there is already a bug report on this because enough people in my similar situation have reported it; a one man capsule with nothing on top of it can result in a 50-75% chance of the kerbal moving off of it into space upon EVA. If nto that, I've noticed it to begin sliding in one direction or another up/down relative to the pod selected. If I halt that, no issues, it's a matter of timing.

But that said, if all was good and no reported issues were occurring like this, then the thought that something was blocking the hatch is perfectly reasonable, at least to the point of ensuring that the reporting user hasn't placed something obvious to cause it.

I.E - I had a light on my lander can just over the hatch and had that occur in the last version of the program.

I'm sure of one thing, Squad will look at it, with enough people reporting it lately.

There appear to be a few issues with command pods, the MK1 in particular, in 0.25.

One issue is that most items attached to the top of the MK1 pod can cause and EVAd Kerbal to be ejected away from the capsule. Some of the items which I've found cause this behavior when mounted on top of the MK1 include: Z-200 Battery, Oscar B fuel tank, MK16 parachute, OKTO2 probe core, PB-X150 Xenon tank, and the Small Inline Reaction Wheel.

Here's a workaround you may want to try: Mounting a Cubic Octagonal Strut to the top of the MK1 does not cause the Kerbal to be ejected. You can then mount stuff on top of the Cubic Octagonal Strut, again not causing Kerbals to be ejected. Unfortunately, the Cubic Octagonal Strut does not appear until you are fairly deep into the Tech Tree.. Otherwise, you could also try not mounting anything to the top of the MK1.

Kerbals now appear to be slowly sliding off hatch ladders, including the MK1 hatch ladder. So even if you eliminate the problem of being ejected, you still will need to pay attention to make sure the EVAd Kerbal doesn't slide off the hatch ladder. These are known issues, and appear to be new to 0.25.

Thanks. I tried this, and it is better, but he still falls off the capsule 5 out of 6 times. At least he didn't get propelled away like he was shot out of a cannon.:D

This is not a bug. To save roots the pods don't have air locks. The result is Kerbals flying out the hatch AKA explosive decompression. The manufacturers promise that it does no harm to the Kerbal and it seems the Kerbals in fact enjoy the experience.

Apart from Sigrey Kerman. I still have nightmares of his large eyes when he realized he was not coming back...

I've noticed a difference between clicking the hatch to EVA, and clicking the picture of the guy I want to EVA. IN the former case they go launching out, but not the latter. Least on my Mk1 pod I was in last night.

The only time I have ever experienced a Kerbal being ejected into space was indeed when I had "blocked" the hatch with an antenna. I have never seen it in any other circumstance.

I always load my MK1 pod with stuff: batteries, antennas, goo canisters, lights, thermometers, etc. I never have any problems as long as I keep the hatch side clear of junk.

I've definitely been having EVA problems. I've been doing Mun missions for science, lots of EVAs, over Kerbin too, and it's like I'm being ejected out of my capsule. There was another thread running on the subject, and someone had mentioned the crew hatch being blocked... so I went and checked my craft - Nothing blocked. It's quite consistent. As a matter of fact, they only time I didn't see it happening was when I had a capsule all by itself on the launchpad and went for EVA. :/

Edit:

Here's the link to the previous running thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96702-0-25-and-EVA-problems

Edited by LordFerret

I can also confirm this issue and it is definitely worse in 0.25. My kerbals get ejected from the mk1 command pod as soon as you hit the eva button. Very frustrating. Previous versions only had ladder drift to deal with; this is far worse and really irritating.

The drift issue started several versions ago when Squad removed the Kerbals "Kung fu grip" on ladders. People were building craft with a bunch of ladders and loading them up with Kerbals and then doing reentry with the Kerbals still on the ladders. Squad made a change to the grip force so now a fart or stiff breeze rips a Kerbal off a ladder. This introduced the "ladder drift" issue we've had for several versions now. I suspect the recent "aerodynamics" changes/overhaul in 0.25 is what is making this worse, even though it is happening in space with no atmosphere around to influence the Kerbal.

I've noticed a difference between clicking the hatch to EVA, and clicking the picture of the guy I want to EVA. IN the former case they go launching out, but not the latter. Least on my Mk1 pod I was in last night.

I always eva by clicking on the picture and have had this issue constantly. I've also had it occur on a plain old mk1 capsule with nothing attached to it (top, bottom or sides). Just a plain mk1 capsule in orbit, click eva button on kerbals picture, and watch him get ejected.

Edited by Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.