The Multiplayer Project

After some discussion with ToxicFrog, the creator of Kessler, we decided that synchronous multiplayer would be fully possible. You would need to use a modified version of the existing telemetry plugins to send data to KSP, as well as a tool like Kessler to download changes while you are away. However, I can\'t code in C#, and ToxicFrog is busy with Kessler, so I need some other people to help code. It would be hard to implement, so multiple coders will be necessary. If you want a slot, PM me with what it is and why you think you should get it. We now have an IRC channel at #KSP_MPmod on EsperNet.

Current Progress Key: Not finished Not finished/optional Working on it Implemented

Modify the telemetry plugin to send all data about the rocket, like fuel and heat levels.

Create a server software to manage and send data about crafts.

Modify the telemetry plugin to accept data about craft and put into the game.

Create a cfg file to specify what server you join OR Find a way to connect to servers in-game.

Find a way to make parts and ships un-usable in the VAB if they have parts that the server doesn\'t

Add a 'This launchpad is occupied' dialogue with a 'Wait' option.

Find a way to make sure people can only pilot their own ships, but can observe everybody\'s.

Make timewarp only useable by admins or a unanimous vote.

Add an IRC client to the game

Positions

PR Guy

tribinsc

Coders

Causeless - Project Director

protagoras

Open slot

Open slot

Testers

Mynorus

togfox

Byter

I\'m open to any suggestions or constructive criticism.

I am currently in college for programming, but don\'t have any experience with networked multiplayer yet. However, that being said, if you have a 'lead' engineer, I would be more than happy to do what I can to help.

I don\'t think I\'d make the best tester, but I do have a request: If one of the people working on the project could write some in-depth summaries about what happened on any given testing session (maybe once a week?), it would allow the whole of the community to get a taste of what this is to become!

I don\'t think I\'d make the best tester, but I do have a request: If one of the people working on the project could write some in-depth summaries about what happened on any given testing session (maybe once a week?), it would allow the whole of the community to get a taste of what this is to become!

I would gladly work as both a tester and someone who writes summaries on what I experienced during that session. It\'s much like a post-flight briefing or an after action report in combat. I have no issues with that idea.

I\'d participate in testing, but I don\'t have the best internet connection. Speedtest says I have the average of the US, so maybe I would be a good tester for that reason.

Also, for the problem of people using other people\'s ships, make it so that every ship sent by people is unpilotable except for the PC that sent it, and optionally have the option to make it pilotable for others. I\'m not sure how this would work in the coding.

But if it were made unpilotable, how would this plugin function with 0.15? Now, I realize that none of us currently understand how docking will work, but if we are unable to dock in multiplayer (Read: No exchange of fuel, resources, no group space stations), well... yeah.

I would love to help.

Short of testing, the only thing I can think of is to offer a financial incentive for the first successful synchronous multiplayer with the features listed above, and functionality for docking when introduced ...plus room for growth. If it were to fit that bill, and such a community investment were not frowned upon by the devs, I\'d be willing to make a personal investment to spur development ...and yes - I want MP that badly.

Hmmm ...So maybe the question becomes, how much am I willing to pay to have the first working server and client? :)

Do I have to remind you guys again?

-snip-

If you want a slot, PM me with what it is and why you think you should get it.

-snip-

It\'s been mostly on a first come first serve basis, but if I get multiple applications I may have to choose.

I would love to help.

Short of testing, the only thing I can think of is to offer a financial incentive for the first successful synchronous multiplayer with the features listed above, and functionality for docking when introduced ...plus room for growth. If it were to fit that bill, and such a community investment were not frowned upon by the devs, I\'d be willing to make a personal investment to spur development ...and yes - I want MP that badly.

Hmmm ...So maybe the question becomes, how much am I willing to pay to have the first working server and client? :)

I\'m not sure if a financial incentive would help much - remember, this is a mod, anyways. I\'m not sure if taking money is even legal, considering it would be built upon this game.

I should be joining as a coder, but first we need some sort of roadmap set up before we dive in, or else bad things will happen. I think the first step would be to merge Kessler into a in-game plugin, which would allow a semi-realtime multiplayer for unloaded vessels (so you don\'t need to reload the game every time you want to update).

The hardest parts of this project will probably be synchronization for loaded vessels, and having unloaded vessels being real-time. I\'m not sure how much access we\'d have to unloaded vessels without needing to force the game to reload, which could be very slow.

For loaded vessels, it would be very hard to keep them in synch... the problem is, everyone\'s computer has different speeds, and would handle the physics differently. We could assume that every computer is perfect, and have it only synch after it\'s unloaded (sending input to other craft to make them move), but of course there would still be major issues with synch after something would be loaded for a while.

We might be able to just force-position craft in the correct place, and attitude, but then we\'d need some way to show engines firing, and rcs, landing legs, etc.

Finding a way to connect to servers in-game is probably (hopefully) possible, because that Elderberry plugin managed it, and irc integration shouldn\'t be far off either.

I\'m not sure if a financial incentive would help much - remember, this is a mod, anyways. I\'m not sure if taking money is even legal, considering it would be built upon this game.

I should be joining as a coder, but first we need some sort of roadmap set up before we dive in, or else bad things will happen. I think the first step would be to merge Kessler into a in-game plugin, which would allow a semi-realtime multiplayer for unloaded vessels (so you don\'t need to reload the game every time you want to update).

The hardest parts of this project will probably be synchronization for loaded vessels, and having unloaded vessels being real-time. I\'m not sure how much access we\'d have to unloaded vessels without needing to force the game to reload, which could be very slow.

For loaded vessels, it would be very hard to keep them in synch... the problem is, everyone\'s computer has different speeds, and would handle the physics differently. We could assume that every computer is perfect, and have it only synch after it\'s unloaded (sending input to other craft to make them move), but of course there would still be major issues with synch after something would be loaded for a while.

We might be able to just force-position craft in the correct place, and attitude, but then we\'d need some way to show engines firing, and rcs, landing legs, etc.

Finding a way to connect to servers in-game is probably (hopefully) possible, because that Elderberry plugin managed it, and irc integration shouldn\'t be far off either.

I agree such an effort would require a need for a volunteer group of community devs to organize for demanding projects. Its likely that there\'s a few models and cases (an experiences by devs) that would translate into a self-organized approach. It often emerges from the best led, documented, and community-demand driven environments.

The audacity of developers, user suggestions, and user generated content should not be under-estimated; nor should the possibility of what glorious things can emerge if a great team is assembled and led properly. The prospect alone is worth nurturing.

I know I\'ve seen community driven incentives before but examples escape me at the moment. The legality isn\'t in question. It\'s a person to person transactions for essentially time. The question is about getting a nod to run ...

...well basically ...a X-Prize for KSP.

Looking forward to seeing how things unfold.

I\'m curious. Is it necessary to synchronise the position of planetary bodies, like the mun, as well as spacecraft, or can that all be determined from knowing the time? Perhaps instead it would merely be necessary to ensure time is well synchronised between players computers too, otherwise you might end up with a multiverse instead of a multiplayer server, where some \'forks\' of a spacecraft survive and other \'forks\' collide with planets and are destroyed.

I\'m curious. Is it necessary to synchronise the position of planetary bodies, like the mun, as well as spacecraft, or can that all be determined from knowing the time? Perhaps instead it would merely be necessary to ensure time is well synchronised between players computers too, otherwise you might end up with a multiverse instead of a multiplayer server, where some \'forks\' of a spacecraft survive and other \'forks\' collide with planets and are destroyed.

As said by Katallian, the position is calculated by the Universal Time, so that shouldn\'t be a problem.