Mk2 Lightning Cockpit for B9 Aerospace v1.3 (FAR drag fixed)

BahamutoD

I really like this cockpit :)

However, I seem to be having serious aerodynamic issues with this and FAR (v1.2 of this and v0.14.3 of FAR). Maybe it's something specific that changed about FAR, but the cockpit is generating a lot of drag and I seem to be putting myself in uncontrollable spins very easily.

Confirmed. I'll check with ferram4 about this.

I deleted the extra lines out of the cfg and it works fine. My CFG file for your part reads as the following

PART{

// --- general parameters ---

name = bahaMk2LightningCockpit

module = CommandPod

author = BahamutoD

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_stack_bottom = 0, -2.515, 0.025, 0, 1, 0

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = supersonicFlight

entryCost = 5800

cost = 3000

category = Pods

subcategory = 0

title = MK2 Lightning Cockpit

manufacturer = Bahamuto Dynamics

description = This is a two-man cockpit made to fit well with the Mk2 parts from B9 Aerospace. Inspired by the F-35 and F-22, the module has built-in air intakes, a fully loaded IVA and a huge glass canopy. You'll be able to clearly see all around you. Just hope it can withstand the vacuum of space. Accessible through the MFDs are a forward, landing, bombing, and rear view camera.

//attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 2.3

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.08

minimum_drag = 0.08

angularDrag = 1

crashTolerance = 45

breakingForce = 112.5

breakingTorque = 112.5

maxTemp = 3400

stagingIcon = COMMAND_POD

vesselType = Ship

CrewCapacity = 2

INTERNAL

{

name = BD_Mk2_Lightning_Internal

}

//MODULE

//{

// name = JSITransparentPod

// transparentTransforms = LF_003

//}

MODULE

{

name = RasterPropMonitorComputer

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 1

}

MODULE

{

name = FARControlSys

}

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 100

maxAmount = 100

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleResourceIntake

resourceName = IntakeAir

checkForOxygen = true

area = 0.01

intakeSpeed = 10

intakeTransformName = intake

}

RESOURCE

{

name = IntakeAir

amount = 0.3

maxAmount = 0.3

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSAS

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 7.5

YawTorque = 7.5

RollTorque = 7.5

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.2625

}

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report

resetActionName = Discard Crew Report

reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False

useActionGroups = True

hideUIwhenUnavailable = True

rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data

storeActionName = Store Experiments

evaOnlyStorage = True

storageRange = 2.0

}

//MODULE

//{

// name = FlagDecal

// textureQuadName = flagObj

//}

}

There were some extra lines in there for lift values, I looked at the B9 MK II .... pit and saw no equivalent in there so I just removed them. Works fine now, I did have some really odd phantom forces before I did with the latest version of FAR.

Those FAR config values are there for a reason. Without them, if you check the debug log, there is a continuous spam of errors. Ferram sent me a config fix. I'm about to upload a fixed version.

OR you can just download this config and drop it into the part's folder (or anywhere in GameData, really).

The problem was that the stock intake dynamic drag wasn't getting cancelled.

Edit: The Kerbal Stuff download now includes this fix. (Version 1.3).

Edited by BahamutoD

So that is why my plane seem to be so unstable with 0.25, ok testing the new version this evening. On a side note, the hacth seem to have fix itself in 0.25. Now my pilots can get out of the plane. Still don't know what happened with 0.24 but I hope it won't come back.

Edited by Hary R

Those FAR config values are there for a reason. Without them, if you check the debug log, there is a continuous spam of errors. Ferram sent me a config fix. I'm about to upload a fixed version.

OR you can just download this config and drop it into the part's folder (or anywhere in GameData, really).

The problem was that the stock intake dynamic drag wasn't getting cancelled.

Edit: The Kerbal Stuff download now includes this fix. (Version 1.3).

Thanks for the quick update :) Should have time to test it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
What's with all the B9 hate? If it's too heavy for you remove the parts you don't use, all HX parts are in one folder, the other sizes aren't hard to find either, they're clearly labeled.

No hate, just a strong reluctance to download and install a megasized parts pack (that has a reputation for being a RAM hog as well as sometimes a bit buggy) in order to throw 95% of it away.

Have the B9 guys ever considered making some pre-stripped versions available? I.e. "if you want the whole package, here's the link; if you just want the aircraft bits, use this other link instead".

No hate, just a strong reluctance to download and install a megasized parts pack (that has a reputation for being a RAM hog as well as sometimes a bit buggy) in order to throw 95% of it away.

Have the B9 guys ever considered making some pre-stripped versions available? I.e. "if you want the whole package, here's the link; if you just want the aircraft bits, use this other link instead".

Actually, they have... thing is: It would be even more annyoing for them than to simply let people delete what they don't want, just imagine, you download a few MB and delete half of that... They however upload those MB, after packing it correctly... if they did several packages, it would increase their workload quite a bit, as there may be bugs with one package that aren't there with another and so on... so they did the sensible thing and just upload one package...

On another note, Baha: I really would love to get my hands on the .craft for that small SSTO you built... any chance to get it? :)

B9 is a great package however. The large cargo bay parts along with their fuselage adapters make it a must have for anyone delivering stuff by space planes. IMO. But it's not that i'm a fanboy of B9 ;) I totally dislike that it comes with about half a dozen "3rd party" dlls which all go in separate places in your Gamedata folder.

The cockpit is just beautiful. Just look at this. It's the F-16 IN SPACE! :D

jf75Kpv.jpg

I think more variants of this would be great. Should be relatively easy to push some vertices to match the SP+ shape. A variant without the intakes would be nice, too.

Edited by DaMichel

B9 is a great package however. The large cargo bay parts along with their fuselage adapters make it a must have for anyone delivering stuff by space planes. IMO. But it's not that i'm a fanboy of B9 ;) I totally dislike that it comes with about half a dozen "3rd party" dlls which all go in separate places in your Gamedata folder.

To be fair, they kinda need the .dll's, and Firespitter is used by pretty much everything anyway. They could probably do away with a few of the plugins and sacrifice some aesthetics, but the plugins are quite simple, so there's a low probability that they'll break.

I think more variants of this would be great. Should be relatively easy to push some vertices to match the SP+ shape. A variant without the intakes would be nice, too.

Seconded. IMO, the intakeless variant should fit Mk1 fuselages.

Once the folks doing B9 switch over to the SP+ Mk2 shape, I'll reshape the connection to fit that. So at that point, it will just be a matter of retexturing it (and replacing IVA props) for a stock compatible version.

The cockpit is just beautiful. Just look at this. It's the F-16 IN SPACE! :D

http://i.imgur.com/jf75Kpv.jpg

Maybe a B9-to-SP+Mk2 adapter? I would love one of those...

Once the folks doing B9 switch over to the SP+ Mk2 shape, I'll reshape the connection to fit that. So at that point, it will just be a matter of retexturing it (and replacing IVA props) for a stock compatible version.

So will we end up with a B9 textures version and a Stock-a-like textures version?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.