The next announced mod to get into stock ksp

smart013

Sorry if i missed a thread, but i wondered why there isnt already a new discussion about the next mod thats going to be integrated into stock ksp:

Batsmaps comment on twitter

If i understand correctly it will be revealed today.

I know some will (again) hope its Fine Print (i dont), but i would set my money on something like Transfer Window Planner, maybe in the style of the mechjeb integration (without promoting to include mechjeb of course).

Pretty sure its not FAR, NEAR, DR etc, either. Another partspack for people with memory to spare?

Probably not transfer window planner. They haven't put much effort into giving us data so far, why would they start with that? I'd put my money on Fine Print. As you said, many hope for that, I personally don't care since I play RO and that means no career mode for me anyway. It'd surprise me a bit indeed if it was FAR or DRE, NEAR is a possibility if they want to save time by not making their own version when something is out there that works fine. I would hope for either SelectRoot or Editor Extensions, the first isn't too likely, but EE seems like a possibility to me.

They haven't put much effort into giving us data so far, why would they start with that?

Youre right of course. Maybe its more the time for KER then. Would be some kind of new a paradigma (no more flying blind) i would like it.

Not FAR/NEAR.

Or procedural fairings for that matter

It's going to be the extra biomes mod :-)

They didn't say they would add the CustomBiomes Biomes, they simply said we can expect biomes on all planets.

EDIT: We need a stickied 'Grand 0.26 Discussion/Speculation Thread'.

Edited by PhaserArray

I think this mod will be integrated: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91814-0-25-Stockalike-Station-Parts-Expansion-%2809-10-2014-new-3-75m-parts%29

Squad will never add any mod like FAR or Transfer Window Planner to KSP because they add 3rd-party code. That means Squad will depend on modders in case they need to modify the code in the future. They surely don't want that (do you remember what happened to the intern they hired? He left the company as soon as new parts were ready!). But that's just my opinion :)

Do we have a relative popular mod where the mod creator didn't say much in last time, say last two months?

Ah yes, they did say all planets are getting biomes in 0.26! Perhaps they're just going to get CustomBiomes to do that.

Where did that happen?

EDIT: ah read every post and saw it.

Edited by Alewx

Ah yes, they did say all planets are getting biomes in 0.26! Perhaps they're just going to get CustomBiomes to do that.

Rows said in KSPTV chat that it was NOT going to be the CustomBiomes mod, but someone else who was helping them with the biomes. Whether that's another mod or just someone they picked up, I don't know.

My top hopes personally would either be Kerbal Alarm clock or some sort of station parts, but we'll see what we get, I guess.

I think this mod will be integrated: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91814-0-25-Stockalike-Station-Parts-Expansion-%2809-10-2014-new-3-75m-parts%29

Squad will never add any mod like FAR or Transfer Window Planner to KSP because they add 3rd-party code. That means Squad will depend on modders in case they need to modify the code in the future. They surely don't want that (do you remember what happened to the intern they hired? He left the company as soon as new parts were ready!). But that's just my opinion :)

I don't think third party code is completely impossible to include. First of all, Mod authors can in principle simply relicense their code, yet in the case of community contributions, of course all contributors have to agree to such a move. Also some mods are already under a permissive license (I'm thinking about LGPL, BSD,...), which would allow anyone to edit the source code and release the results, and even allow the use of the mod code in commercial applications, as long as the license requirements are met.

Personally I'm hoping for FAR, being fully aware that this is everything but probable. Not only would a relicensing be necessary (GPL and KSP license probably don't like each other...), but FAR would also increase the difficulty of launches...

They have the option to copy/ reverse engineer the function and add it. They will obviously not bundle 3rd part dll in the game.

Guess this is that happened to planes.

I hope it's the porkchop plot maker, as a tool in mission control. Or KAS.

Not another big part mod I hope, though there is great stuff out there, I'd rather have the memory space to customise.

Unless it's lack's KSC+. That would be cool

Scansat could be nice to, as long as it science works the way it does.

I kinda think that the devs are getting a bit lazy. Like really, implementing two mods in a row? The original spaceplane parts were also from an implemented mod. C7.

Well one way that is an honor for the mod creators, on the other side it is cheaper than creating it all from scratch. So it has not really something to do with laziness.

I bet its either:

CustomBiomes would make sense as they said they'd add biomes to all planets, or at least to "expect" it. Top of the list because squad said they'd probably implement the one feature this mod adds, biomes on all the planets.

Kerbal Engineer Redux/other data readout mod: yesyesyesyes Data readouts in stock! This would be incredibly useful.

Something to improve the atmosphere, FAR, NEAR: Unlikely, as many actually make the game easier in a sense, because it makes the air more realistic, and thus easier to go through. I wouldn't expect this, unless squad is also adding something to scale the planets up to keep it around the same difficulty. Would take quite a bit of work to implement naturally, but would be great nonetheless if it was added.

And, something nobodies mentioned yet, I doubt it'll be added, but hey, it'd be awesome if it was. Drumroll please...

KIDS: (kerbal isp difficulty scaler): Why not? They're already adding a bunch of difficulty scaler stuff, i'd love this if this was added, then i'd actually have to build giant rockets to get to the mun. If this was added, it'd be another difficulty scaling option in stock, and options are always good. Although i've never used it, i've heard it's great. It would provide a greater engineering challenge, as opposed to the sheer "just use boosters now instead of liquid fuel" funds add right now. It would also add a bit of meaning to the difficulty options for sandbox, and provide ample opportunity for challenges for those who have played a long time, and also perhaps lower the learning curve a bit.

EDIT: oops, I forgot FinePrint. adds extra contracts, would flesh out the game a lot considering it's current contracts are mainly the test contract ones, and those can get boring after a while.

Edited by Norpo
Forgot an important mod :O

I kinda think that the devs are getting a bit lazy. Like really, implementing two mods in a row? The original spaceplane parts were also from an implemented mod. C7.

It's not laziness, they can implement the mod or then can just not do it. They only have time to do so much and if they can contract outside sources, they can do more. Assuming funding allows it. Spaceplane+ was contracted, but the admin building and all of it's infrastructure, the working cargo bays, the destructible buildings, that was the work they did. Now they could have given you all of that without SP+, but it wouldn't have meant they would do SP+ themselves, it would have meant you wouldn't get them at all.

Some of these things you guys are suggesting are a "be careful what you wish for" type thing. I don't want engineer stock because it keeps getting better. There are new data points being added every time a release is out (I love the new intake air readings) and that would almost assuredly grind to a halt if it were implemented as stock. If they are going to be implementing anything, hope for something that is pretty much complete and incapable of much more expansion. Alarm Clock falls in the same boat, V3 beta is a massive improvement over the old V2, it's still getting better.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.