KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

KScale64 is a rescale mod using Kopernicus. It multiplies the Radius of Planets and moons, and their orbits by 6.4 times. This makes travelling anywhere much harder than stock but achievable.

Installation Instructions

• Separately download and install Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions using the links below.

• Download and unzil the mod, then place the folder in your GameData folder. That's it, enjoy.

More information

Way back in time Raptor831 and Regex created a RSS fork using the stock Kerbal system but at 6.4 scale. This number was chosen as scaling the world 6.4 times larger would then match the scale of the parts in comparison of real world equipment. KSCale63 is my update of that mod, updated for the latest version of KSP. The mod changes the size of planets, moons and their orbits and also changes the scale of atmospheres. Pressure, temperature, and solar power curves have been adjusted to make everything work the way it should.

The over all effect is a much harder game but still achievable, especially in sandbox mode with parts packs such as KW Rocketry or Nova Punch.

Compatible and recommended mods (tested)

• Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR) Not required, but it makes designing rockets easier. With FAR, rockets that look right, usually fly right. p the parts to match the 6.4x scale.
  • ScanSat Allows you to scan planets and moons. Useful for finding the perfect landing site.
  • Transfer Window Planner Removes the trial and error from interplanetary transfers. Very important with the increased deltaV requirements of 6.4x scale.
  • KScale64 config for outer planets by Tellion

Note: This is the last version of KScale that will be released. However it should be compatible with the game for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of other rescale mods out there that do a more detailed job of changing the size of the Kerbin system and I no longer have the time to keep this mod as good as you deserve. This mod is public domain so please feel free to use anything you see here to create your own rescale mods

Licence

KScale64 is released as public domain. Feel free to do with what you will.

SCREEN SHOTS, IMAGES AND VIDEOS

• You may create and publish screen shots, images and videos featuring Universal Storage running as part of KSP, including for commercial or financial gain.
  • This does not include the texture image files, except when viewed in-game as part of Kerbal Space Program.
  • Note: this license does not override or supersede any existing license regarding Kerbal Space Program or Squad
Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Orbital periods of all bodies have been adjusted to match Kepler's 3rd law (using existing mass and orbital distance)

They weren't that way to begin with? Odd, I thought I had the orbital periods correct to begin with... Also, what does the mass have to do with Kepler's Third Law?

They weren't that way to begin with? Odd, I thought I had the orbital periods correct to begin with... Also, what does the mass have to do with Kepler's Third Law?

There were in stock, but not in Kerbol 6.4x

Kepler's 3rd law requires mass, in a newtonian model it's the total mass of the orbiting body and the body being orbited (i.e Mass of Kerbin + mass of Mun).

1d9527bf74096c038068a67b6f0b74f3.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion

Ah. I took the easy route because:

In the full formulation under Newton's laws of motion, M should be replaced by

M+m,

where m is the mass of the orbiting body. Consequently, the proportionality constant is not truly the same for each planet. Nevertheless, given that m is so small relative to M for planets in our solar system, the approximation is good in the original setting.

Anyway... Also, some things might have been missed when I changed Kerbol over to being a K-class star rather than some crazy hybrid thing that makes no sense, so I'm glad you're taking a look through it.

I'm interested in this as well, the 6.4x option would really benefit from some degree of standardization.

Like what, with other mods? 6.4x has never needed that because it is designed to be compatible with the stock parts scale. Furthermore getting to orbit using stock parts is entirely feasible, although insane.

I have always suggested, at a minimum, FAR and Real Fuels (+ engine config) because they deal with two of the big issues using an upscaled solar system. FAR fixes the terrible stock atmosphere and Real Fuels gives you engines that work well with bigger systems. This means that you'll still get a stock-ey payload fraction to orbit without needing all the resizing and overhaul scripts of RO. Stock parts from pretty much any pack slide right in to that mix. That's why there never was a 6.4x overhaul.

E: gads, now I realize you were probably talking about EVE standardization, sorry...

Edited by regex

It's worth noting that stock KSP also ignores the smaller of the two masses; RSS's automatic period calculation does not, which made some trouble for MechJeb a few months ago.

Also, you might want to credit regex; as his posts imply, he's the original author of 6.4x. :)

It's worth noting that stock KSP also ignores the smaller of the two masses; RSS's automatic period calculation does not, which made some trouble for MechJeb a few months ago.

The mass thing only makes a noticeable difference with Duna and Ike where it gives a 5% increase.

Also, you might want to credit regex; as his posts imply, he's the original author of 6.4x. :)

Done, thanks :)

It's not and never has been a big deal. It's just that anytime someone forks my old project I want to know what's up with the next iteration and provide any help, if needed. With Raptor831 apparently taking a break, it's as good a time as any to fork again, especially if you can package it with RSS.

Here we go. Here is a very early beta release 0.1.0

This is a simple repack, it includes RSS, the unaltered 6.4x Kerbol config file and some additional files to ensure things like Deadly Reentry, RemoteTech and Scansat play nice.

There is also the Astronomers Visual Pack .cfg file to improve the looks of that mod at 6.4x scale.

Instructions are included in the download.

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=1971

As for tweaking orbits, that's something I only want to do once, so there is going to be a lot of testing before that comes out.

Remember this is super, testing, beta release so I recommend playing some flights in sandbox before you commit to a career game.

E: gads, now I realize you were probably talking about EVE standardization, sorry...

Yes, and no. That is, mainly about EVE standardization, but also about things like Remote Tech configs, heatshields balanced for x6.4 (not sure if that's needed, haven't played 6.4x much), contract fixes and recommended difficulty settings. In stark contrast to the RO proper, the 6.4x config could be made to have a perfectly working career mode with relatively little effort, so why not do it?

Yes, and no. That is, mainly about EVE standardization, but also about things like Remote Tech configs, heatshields balanced for x6.4 (not sure if that's needed, haven't played 6.4x much), contract fixes and recommended difficulty settings. In stark contrast to the RO proper, the 6.4x config could be made to have a perfectly working career mode with relatively little effort, so why not do it?

Have you looked at the first uploaded version? There are configs for EVE, RemoteTech, Deadly Reentry, and ScanSat already there. (Although ModuleManager throws an error on the ScanSat.)

I've barely looked at this, but did notice one problem: no alternate launch site config. I'd recommend grabbing the config from the default 6.4x thread for now.

Have you looked at the first uploaded version? There are configs for EVE, RemoteTech, Deadly Reentry, and ScanSat already there. (Although ModuleManager throws an error on the ScanSat.)

I did, I even played with it for a while. The EVE config they listed didn't work with any version of EVE that I could download and the heights for contracts were not changed at all. IIRC the VAB size also wasn't sufficiently extended and the command pods were filled with monoprop instead of hydrazine. I didn't notice there were already configs for Deadly Reentry, my bad.

I've barely looked at this, but did notice one problem: no alternate launch site config. I'd recommend grabbing the config from the default 6.4x thread for now.

I've got a fix for the scansat error I'll push out tonight. For the extra launchpads I took them out for the first release so it's closer to stock but bigger. They will be added back in at a later date.

The remotetech and deadly reentry configs were always in there though, all I did was update the remotetech folder name.

I never found out how to launch from different sites in RSS. I prefer playing 6.4 scale but would love additional launch sites too

Go into the tracking station, find a suitable launch site, click it. If it's green it's the active site and you should also receive a notice that the site has been activated. RSS will activate the last launch site you use as the active one on game load.

Also, I have RT configs for the old 6.4x launch sites if you guys want them (I'd have to make them MM scripts, though). As far as RT integration, just change the global range multiplier to 6.4 and it should work perfectly fine, I think even that can be done with MM.

Go into the tracking station, find a suitable launch site, click it. If it's green it's the active site and you should also receive a notice that the site has been activated. RSS will activate the last launch site you use as the active one on game load.

Also, I have RT configs for the old 6.4x launch sites if you guys want them (I'd have to make them MM scripts, though). As far as RT integration, just change the global range multiplier to 6.4 and it should work perfectly fine, I think even that can be done with MM.

The RemoteTech configs were in the latest version of Kerbol 6.4x and I've included those in 64K. I have the config files for the alternative site remote tech stations as well, but I've removed those as well as the extra launch pads (they will be coming back in, probably as an optional extra).

Honestly it's kind of annoyed me that you don't have more ground station in RemoteTech, but not having them does teach you the limitations of line of site comms at an early stage, so for gameplay I think it does make some sense not that have them. Of course for alternate launch sites, you pretty much need them to get anywhere.

Honestly it's kind of annoyed me that you don't have more ground station in RemoteTech, but not having them does teach you the limitations of line of site comms at an early stage, so for gameplay I think it does make some sense not that have them. Of course for alternate launch sites, you pretty much need them to get anywhere.

RemoteTech is pretty much purely fantasy gameplay without multiple tracking stations on the planet that can talk to the entire solar system. It may be good gameplay, but it is not realistic. Also, when launching from the KSC location you will run into issues until you can hook up with the southerly station in your orbit; I ran into this situation this morning as there are only seven launch sites in 6.4x. Coverage is still fairly sparse.

I personally don't have any need for alternate launch sites, but I know other people like to use them. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

I tried your EVE configs for Astronomer's pack, and they seemed to work okay. I still saw a little bit of z-fighting, but not bad. Unfortunately, I subsequently realized I don't like Astronomer's pack because it makes all the colors washed out, and the details blurry. :P And now that I'm finally homing in on exactly what parts packs I want for a campaign / video series... there's no RAM left over for clouds, anyway!

Paul, I'm glad you're taking this on. Universal Storage is a core mod in my install now, and I've always loved the 6.4x resize. (*tips hat to regex*) I'd love to see AJE, Kerbal Construction Time, and several others also playing nice together with 64x. I've not done much work as a KSP modder but I'm starting to get into using modulemanager, so I might see if I can get some things to work together that way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.