KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

hi, i been having problems installing this MOD. I've looked up the instructions, but can't seem to make it work.

I run .90 KSP.

Does this MOD need RSS installed prior to installing, because it seems to me it indicates that it is a complete standalone install. 2nd KSP gives me a warning that RSS is incompatible with KSP and it simply loads up with it not working. I've tried with the RSS installed and without RSS installed and both methods result in the same error, incompatible waring and KSP simply loads up without 6.4x running.

can anyone shed some light on this? thank you.

hi, i been having problems installing this MOD. I've looked up the instructions, but can't seem to make it work.

I run .90 KSP.

Does this MOD need RSS installed prior to installing, because it seems to me it indicates that it is a complete standalone install. 2nd KSP gives me a warning that RSS is incompatible with KSP and it simply loads up with it not working. I've tried with the RSS installed and without RSS installed and both methods result in the same error, incompatible waring and KSP simply loads up without 6.4x running.

can anyone shed some light on this? thank you.

Well the version in OP is not updated yet. But the config is fine.

So what you need to do is:

1)Download newest RSS and install it to your GameData.

2)Open the RSS folder and remove everything other than "Plugins" folder.

3)Delete everything from RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData

4)Download this 6.4x package and copy over the RealSolarSystem.cfg and RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg to RSS folder.

Done. It will take some time to load, but after the first load up it will be faster.

There was a config for it (I believe it was neberknezzer (butchered the spelling there)), but Outer planets changed its own arrangement significantly since then.

I run outer planets on my 64x install, however I have directly modified the config files myself.

All planet diameters, masses and semimajor axis x by 1.64

All atmosphere thicknesses x by 1.23

All planetary ring diameters x by 1.64

You also need to comment out the parent body (Kerbol) for eloo out of the RSS, because outer planets repurposes it as a moon of Sarnus.

There you go. If you want to know what I changed specifically, I posted it somewhere early in the OPM thread, and noted it in the RealSolarSystem.cfg file.

Well the version in OP is not updated yet. But the config is fine.

So what you need to do is:

1)Download newest RSS and install it to your GameData.

2)Open the RSS folder and remove everything other than "Plugins" folder.

3)Delete everything from RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData

4)Download this 6.4x package and copy over the RealSolarSystem.cfg and RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg to RSS folder.

Done. It will take some time to load, but after the first load up it will be faster.

Thanks for showing us how to make that RSS 6.4x work in KSP 0.90. Modders suck at keeping the mod version compatible with the current version of KSP yet you come up with simple and effective solutions. I'll give your solutions a test.

Thanks for showing us how to make that RSS 6.4x work in KSP 0.90. Modders suck at keeping the mod version compatible with the current version of KSP yet you come up with simple and effective solutions. I'll give your solutions a test.

Wow, what a profoundly obnoxious post. Modders don't owe you something, this is exactly the kind of entitled attitude that makes modders throw up their hands and just leave… they put a ton of effort into making something, and then they get to see whining brats calling them out for not updating fast enough when there are possibly massive changes required by a patch.

Edited by tater

Modders also have to deal with the thing called "real life", just as we all do. It's still just a game about little green dudes launching crazy rockets. :)

Also, this particular mod is a courtesy, more than anything. You could recreate it by downloading the constituent parts (RSS, 6.4x configs, EVE) and making all the tweaks yourself (extra configs, EVE tweaks, RemoteTech stuff, etc). This is an attempt to make it a little easier to dive in, since doing all that takes a bit of time.

Let everyone know if it works for you, so others can follow if they have the same issue.

Version 1.0.90.0 released!

This the full release I guess. We've taken the improvements by Raptor831 and Mitiya that were on Github and rolled them in, along with some Deadly reentry improvements by NathenKell.

We've also added multiple launch sites back in, although there are only 2 additional sites, Cape Kanaveral and Baikonur Kosmodrome. Both are at the same latitude as the real world equivalents so you can experience the challenges of launching away from the equator and inclined orbits. Both sites are in roughly the right terrain and spread out around Kerbin, and of course remotetech compatible.

Currently improvements or accidents at a launch center will effect the other 2.

Download links and information are in the first post of this thread. As always make a backup of your save file before installing this, I'm in no way responsible if it eats your save game file and you didn't make a backup!

Next up I want to make it CKAN compatible but that involves rewriting a lot of the files so don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Aww, yess! Thank you very much kind Sir.

Is there anything in line of PQS adjustments, tweaks to radii, semi major axes etc?

Mitiya has made some PQS improvements, but the orbital stuff should be standard, 6.4x stock. With 24 hour days for Kerbin and other bodies to match (4x stock).

This looks absolutely fantastic, I'm loving it. I am having a problem with the extra launch sites though, despite them being configured in Remotetech's settings, they don't have an associated transmitter. Any ideas?

EDIT:

I did find a small issue with a missing bracket in the config file, but I've sorted that and still haven't got any of the extra ground stations.

Edited by Citizen247

This looks absolutely fantastic, I'm loving it. I am having a problem with the extra launch sites though, despite them being configured in Remotetech's settings, they don't have an associated transmitter. Any ideas?

EDIT:

I did find a small issue with a missing bracket in the config file, but I've sorted that and still haven't got any of the extra ground stations.

I'll take a look at this today and get back to you.

EDIT:

I couldn't find the problem, so I took the RO file and changed the values to match 64K

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Hi Paul,

I see that the default rotation speed of Kerbin was changed from 12 hours to 24 hours in the latest versions.

If I wanted to maintain save-compatibility from an older version (using 0.4.08) what would I need to do? Is there a way to keep it with 12-hour rotations speeds?

Since the orbital velocities change if you adjust the rotation speeds (such as by slowing down Kerbin's rotation) and also change the planetary gravity to match (lower rotational speed requires lower total gravity for the same surface-gravity) my orbits should be messed up if I update the RSS 64K version without keeping the speed of Kerbin's rotation the same... (if the save still loads at all)

Also, any reason you slowed down Kerbin's rotation? The 6.4x scale-up (technically LESS than 64% scale since stock is 1/11th of real size, not 1/10th) and 12-hour rotation matched well: with a 24-hour day Kerbin has a SLOWER rotation speed that Earth, and the resulting decrease in orbital velocities (while still requiring the same Delta-V to get to orbit) actually should make the game a little bit harder by increasing Delta-V requirements relative to the scale (thanks to reduced benefits from the Oberth Effect...)

Regards,

Northstar

P.S. Notice I didn't say the Delta-V requirements are larger than real life: because they aren't- they're less. However with a full-sized solar system and rockets, it's easier to get a craft with more Delta-V to orbit as a rocket at 2x the scale (I've pointed this out before, KSP rockets are only 40-50% real scale not 64%- using the relative size of Delta IV and SLS part-analogs as a reference... Delta IV is 5 meters in real life, the Jumbo-64 tank which is the analog for its main fuel tank is 2.5 meters in KSP. SLS has a 8.4 meter core stage in real life, 3.75 meters in KSP...) has 4x the cross-sectional area and 2x the height, for 8x the total mass! The crew capsules in KSP also have roughly equivalent masses to the real things, but are only 40-50% the volume, and thus are much heavier relative to the stock KSP rockets... (Realism Overhaul adjusts the crew capsule masses and volumes to match the real thing)

So, when payloads are the same mass, for a rocket of as little as 8.9% the total mass as in real life (a stock SLS with RealFuels installed will only have 8.9% the total mass, as it is 44.6% the real life scale), you end up with an EQUALLY hard game even if Delta-V requirements are reduced from 10 km/s to 7.8 km/s (7.5 km/s is unrealistic to expect- I've tried it many times and it requires a rate of pitchover during the gravity-turn that is impossible to do safely with FAR installed... In a realistic-sized Kerbin with full-scale rockets, your rockets have better ballistic coefficients due to their much larger size and a larger altitude gap from surface to the edge of the atmosphere to turn through, so the gravity-turn for an optimal ascent is *MUCH* less challenging...) The Realfuels Stockalike engines also have a MUCH inferior ratio of thrust to cross-sectional area: real rockets produce 2-3x the Thrust for the same TWR and cross-sectional area (8x or more total thrust for the direct analogs- but they have 4x the cross-sectional area), whereas the Real Engines config copies real values, so you can actually lift a 2-3x taller and 2x wider rocket with the *SAME* engines in a full-scale RSS install...

Edited by Northstar1989

I am getting a little problem with the KSC switcher: Once I switch to another launch site than the KSC, switching back to it will cause half of the terrain around it to disappear. Is this a known issue, are there any workarounds?

AXZMp43.png

I am getting a little problem with the KSC switcher: Once I switch to another launch site than the KSC, switching back to it will cause half of the terrain around it to disappear. Is this a known issue, are there any workarounds?

It's a known issue now! ;) Thanks, this is caused by stupidity on my end. I have fixed it, but I also want to double check the rotational periods and add in an optional 12h day file for those who prefer it (thanks Shimmy for bringing this up during last night's space quest). I've run out of time this morning but will get a new version out tonight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.