KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

So...to modify heating to a reasonable level I need to set all heat factors to 1, or should I still edit the .cfg? Can you recommend what should I do from these two?

Edited by viktor19

So...to modify heating to a reasonable level I need to set all heat factors to 1, or should I still edit the .cfg? Can you recommend what should I do from these two?

You should edit /GameData/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry.cfg because it modifies the Physic.cfg by ModuleManager

Example

// Override Physics.cfg@PHYSICSGLOBALS:FOR[DeadlyReentry]

{

@radiationFactor = 1.0

@convectionFactor = 1.0

@conductionFactor = 1.0

Is there any way to change the time-frame of the game while using this mod?

From what I can see, the rotation of Kerbin has changed compared to the base game, so at the moment the ingame clock goes through a full day before the sun even rises. can we change the clock to be more then a 6 hour day to be inline with the actual rotation of the planet?

Modified the file with no result. Also, noticed that in the action menu there are no values next to units of measurement.

So weird:(It works fine for me

Or maybe your reentry is too steep? I usually set Pe to 50km for a 200km LKO reentry

From what I can see, the rotation of Kerbin has changed compared to the base game, so at the moment the ingame clock goes through a full day before the sun even rises. can we change the clock to be more then a 6 hour day to be inline with the actual rotation of the planet?

There's a setting in the game menu to use either Kerbin time (6 hour days) or real Earth time (24 hour days) for the in-game time display. Most mods that use times, such as Kerbal Alarm Clock, respect the setting and will display their times accordingly.

The clock time is hard-coded, to my knowledge. You either get a 6-hour day (stock Kerbin rotation) or a 24-hour day, and that's switchable in the KSP settings. I believe 64K default is 24-hour rotation, so if you set the clock to 24-hour day it should match up. If you use the 12-hour alternate config, you're kinda stuck as far as the clock.

You haven't understood me: there is no heating whatsoever.
DRE isn't compatible with 1.0.4; you shouldn't even be using it if you have 1.0.4 rather than 1.0.2.

If you're using 1.0.2, carry on.

Sorry I don't know that DRE isn't compatible with 1.0.4. I'm still using 1.0.2 because I'm waiting for more mod update for 1.0.4.

64K comes with a high res texture! If you want higher still, I'm not sure where to go.

I found one. I pulled the texture from the Renaissance Compilation pack (8192x4096). Just put it in the 64k directory and renamed it match the 64k's "x64k_Kerbin_Color.dds" (4096x2048). I won't say its a perfect drop in replacement but it is an improvement.

WFPrVYWm.pngp1XXk9Rm.png

Is anyone else getting massive overheating problems on re-entry with stock heating? I'm burning through all my heatshields ablator before 60k and exploding shortly after regardless of entry profile. I'm not even experiencing any real deceleration before the capsule overheats. I thought maybe it was a mod interaction, but it's still happening with just 64k, procedural parts, hyper-edit and mechjeb installed.

I just tried re-entry from 150k to 50k and the capsule exploded at 53k. It seems to me something must be going a bit haywire for me here.

I imagine everyone. Think of it: We are using a system designed for ~2-3 km/s reentries and feeding it double that as a baseline. You can set the heating down in the difficulty options for now, but it is neither a balanced nor elegant solution.

I get that, but this level is way beyond what I'd expect even given that.

ETA:

I've deleted the game entirely and reinstalled, testing again with minimal mods, and ablator burn through and heating seems much more reasonable, not really starting until after 50k and when actually decelerating.

Edited by Citizen247

It's because stock uses ~Math~ to convert a 3km/sec reentry into the heat of a normal Earth reentry. So if you start making a 5-6km/sec reentry, well, recall that heat transfer scales with the cube of velocity. :)

I was expecting, but before it was way more heating than it should have get before it should have experienced any. After deleting the entire game, and reinstalling and with a slightly tweaked shield (more ablator) the capsule returned ok. I think I must just have had some weird setting or mod interaction somewhere.

Is anyone having problems with RemoteTech? I can't see any ground stations except for KSC. I believe the control link still works with that station.

ksp version 1.0.2

RT version 1.6.6

K64 version 1.1.0.0

ditto, for the record. Added the config to add ground stations for Kerbinside, but I get nothin but KSC.

I was expecting, but before it was way more heating than it should have get before it should have experienced any. After deleting the entire game, and reinstalling and with a slightly tweaked shield (more ablator) the capsule returned ok. I think I must just have had some weird setting or mod interaction somewhere.

I'm getting the thing with a lightly modded install. Had to turn the heating effects down as far as they'll go even on a very shallow entry.

ditto, for the record. Added the config to add ground stations for Kerbinside, but I get nothin but KSC.

Look in 64K/Compatibility/RT_Settings_Changer.cfg, that overrides the settings for RT so you either want an MM patch that overrides that, or add the ground stations there.

Edited by Citizen247

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.