KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

19 hours ago, Quodios Kerman said:

I am using Windows 10. Are you using dev version correctly?

I think I am.  Are you sing the actual dev version (ie "development") or the "newdimensions" version?  I've been trying both, and others,

1 hour ago, Quodios Kerman said:

I am using NewDimensions One. Maybe you should try clean reinstall of KSP and Kopernicus to test compatibility

Ya, I've tried all the standard things.  This isn't my first rodeo with strange unix-related errors.

39 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

Ya, I've tried all the standard things.  This isn't my first rodeo with strange unix-related errors.

I updated Kopernicus and I checked compatibility broke. I don't know why, but sadly it is... maybe we have to wait for Sigma Dimension Update

I didn't installed Kopernicus. It works :) 

Edited by Quodios Kerman

Can you figure out stationary orbits and similar just by multiplying the distance by 6.4x from vanilla?

For example, a Kerbin-synchronous orbit goes from 2,868.4km in standard KSP to 18357.76km in 6.4x scale.

If this is not the case, how do you figure those orbits?

7 hours ago, TheDamDog said:

Can you figure out stationary orbits and similar just by multiplying the distance by 6.4x from vanilla?

For example, a Kerbin-synchronous orbit goes from 2,868.4km in standard KSP to 18357.76km in 6.4x scale.

That's how sigmaDimensions works.  It does multiplication via cfg files and feeds the results to Kopernicus.  You can get the same results, if you have the time, by writing your own system.cfg for kopernicus by hand.

I'm playing with OPM, but when multiplied by 6.4 the distances between worlds becomes insane.  DeltaV isn't that much different, but the time spent waiting for stuff to arrive isn't fun.  So rather than simply multiply everything via SigmaDimensions I multiplied all the inner planets by 6.4 and the OPM planets by 2 in a customer cfg.  SigmaDimensions cannot do that atm.

11 hours ago, TheDamDog said:

I don't think this works, I can't think of the math off the top of my head but I am fairly positive it isn't that straight forward. (I could be totally wrong here so if someone knows better let me know)

The key to keosynchronous orbits is matching your orbital period to Kerbins rotational speed.

Sigma Dimensions is set up to maintain day length no matter the size of the rescale, however I belive 64k is using a 2x day length multiplier, given stocks 6 hour day you want to have an orbital period of 12 hours for a keosynchronous orbit in 64k.

Now it has been a long time since I played but I used to set up keosynchronous comm sat networks all the time, and if I remember correctly the easiest way is to start from a low circular orbit, burn prograde until your orbital period is close to half of the period you want, and then circularize, this gets you to a fairly low eccentricity orbit with the correct orbital period, and is fairly easy to adjust it down to near zero eccentricity.

1 hour ago, AlphaKerman said:

Can anyone help me how install it? I have following all the procedure but it still doesn't work. I still use the 1.1.3

You installed Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions as well? (which need to be the proper versions for 1.1.3 in your case).

Edited by tater

12 minutes ago, tater said:

You installed Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions as well? (which need to be the proper versions for 1.1.3 in your case).

Hmm, does it need to be the specific version or can be the latest version?

(i seems can't find Sigma Dimension for the 1.1.3 version, only 1.1.2 and 1.2.1)

30 minutes ago, tater said:

Dunno, I can't remember when I was lat playing this... August? You'll have to read the threads for that mod back into the right time period. Or just update.

Oh, done! Turns out i just download the wrong Sigma Dimension version. Well, thanks! ^_^

21 hours ago, RoboRay said:

Are there any issues with antenna ranges in 1.2, now that that matters?

So far so good 

BTW, does anyone know the synchronous orbit? The map said around 30k but it's nowhere near it

Nevermind, after manual trial and error, i found the altitude at 15,117,500 m

Edited by AlphaKerman

29 minutes ago, AlphaKerman said:

So far so good

I expected it wouldn't matter much, since the change from 1x to 6.4x is less than an order of magnitude.  So, the same antennas should be able to reach the same places, just with weaker signal strength. 

I may do some Sandbox comparisons to see exactly what differences the game reports.

29 minutes ago, AlphaKerman said:

BTW, does anyone know the synchronous orbit? The map said around 30k but it's nowhere near it

I would just use the orbital period readout from KER or MechJeb to find it.

Edited by RoboRay

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Stop_signGEORGE said:

So I've got a problem. I accepted a rescue mission and the stranded guy's periapsis is way in the atmosphere. Apoapsis too.

l1b8jb7.png

Yeah. Is that intentional, or is there something going on here?

Looks like a bug, but if his APA  is over 22km, you can still pull it off with very careful timing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 10:02 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Looks like a bug, but if his APA  is over 22km, you can still pull it off with very careful timing. 

The death altitude is based on a pressure of 0.01 atm. It's around 22 km in the stock 70-km atmosphere, but KScale64 sets an amosphere height multiplier of 1.33 to give a 93-km height. I expect that the 0.01-atm cutoff altitude is also multiplied by the atmosphere height multiplier, so I'd be worried about anything below 29.3 km.

I've done several rescues in KSP 1.1.3 and the corresponding mod versions where the periapsis was in atmosphere and the apoapsis was in space, and found that it wasn't that hard to catch them at their apoapsis. All of the ones that I saw had periapsis above 70 km, so I assumed that the contract code was hard-coding the stock atmosphere height as its minimum periapsis.

This example has its periapsis not only inside the atmosphere, but inside what the stock atmosphere height would have been. So it looks like there's no 70-km minimum, and something else is going on.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange things happen to rescue contracts if you're manually re-scaling the planet as well. Since KScale isn't updated to 1.2.x I've been using SigmaDimensions to change the scale of the system directly, and I've had spacecraft for rescue contracts spawning with a periapsis at least 10km into the atmosphere, though it's possible that some may appear in even lower orbits. So it's probably an effect of SigmaDimensions rather than something specific to the KScale mods.

Edited by eloquentJane

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 0:46 PM, eloquentJane said:

Strange things happen to rescue contracts if you're manually re-scaling the planet as well. Since KScale isn't updated to 1.2.x I've been using SigmaDimensions to change the scale of the system directly, and I've had spacecraft for rescue contracts spawning with a periapsis at least 10km into the atmosphere, though it's possible that some may appear in even lower orbits. So it's probably an effect of SigmaDimensions rather than something specific to the KScale mods.

You should tell the developer of this mod to update Kscale64, otherwise, it won't be fun. Even with updated SigmaDimensions, Hangar Extender and modulemanager, it's not enough.

Edited by KSP Player X
Addition of statement.

On 1/14/2017 at 0:46 PM, eloquentJane said:

If you take a closer look at the KScale64 files, you are doing exactly what this mod does. KScale64 used to rescale the system using a different method, but now it uses Sigma Dimensions. Aside from the Sigma config, there are a couple other Module Manager patches in the download that attempt to make other mods compatible. That's it :)

As far as LKO rescue missions, I manually edit the save file and change the eccentricity of the orbit to 0. Early stock LKO rescue missions are always 0 inclination, 0 eccentricity so this works for me. I've never seen one of these contracts spawn with an SMA inside the atmosphere, it's always been just a low orbit with a slight eccentricity that causes the periapsis to sink into the atmo.

Edited by MalevolentNinja

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.