KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

Tested some more with spaceplanes and found that RealHeat makes things survivable.

In the beginning I thought than too after installing RealHeat. Returning MK1 Pod with 1.25 heatshield from LKO worked fine with ~70 ablator left.

But when trying to return my 1.25m/1.5t unmanned science drone from mun with +7km/s, the ablator was totally melted before the aerobraking even started and the whole drone disintegrated within half a second.

Still trying to figure out now, how to get my science from mun back to KSC :confused:

In the beginning I thought than too after installing RealHeat. Returning MK1 Pod with 1.25 heatshield from LKO worked fine with ~70 ablator left.

But when trying to return my 1.25m/1.5t unmanned science drone from mun with +7km/s, the ablator was totally melted before the aerobraking even started and the whole drone disintegrated within half a second.

Still trying to figure out now, how to get my science from mun back to KSC :confused:

I had some very weird save corruptions when experimenting with mods that modify heating, so be sure to test on another savegame first, then on a clean install.

I got it working by editing these lines in the contracts config.

TrivialHomeNearbyRange = 2000

SignificantHomeNearbyRange = 4000

ExceptionalHomeNearbyRange = 6000

I just multiplied each one by 100. It supposedly makes surveying contracts tricky or something, but I don't do those so I wouldn't know =P

Multiplying by a factor of ten has worked for me. I've also been able to complete some survey contracts from KSC, building a plane with a 6000+km range is an interesting challenge in itself.

@Citizen, did you by any chance test reentries with spaceplanes?

Edit: because what I manage to get into orbit explodes violently at ~5.3km/s ._.

Only briefly, I've been having trouble getting spaceplanes back in stock, let alone 64k. I've had some success just putting heat radiators on the side opposite the rentry vector...

In order for heat work properly, this CFG must be installed, with ":FOR[RealismOverhaul]" removed.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_Physics.cfg

This needs to be added to the OP

While patches for RO are certainly going to do the job, things are going to be significantly easier when they are used in 64K. Apart from that, we already have a patch - it just needs to be a little nicer to spaceplanes :3

Tellion,

The physics patch you're referring to is nowhere to be found, it's certainly not in the OP.

Nathan,

How does this differ from the RO patch? It looks like it just leaves out constants and radiation.

Tellion,

The physics patch you're referring to is nowhere to be found, it's certainly not in the OP.

My bad, it was already pulled into the github repo, but that one does not seem to be linked in the OP either :PHere you go.

Posted a new release which fixes the career mode bug, and adds a WIP physics config (Thanks Citizen247!)

Changelog:

* Band-aid fix for Career mode bug

* Add Physics.cfg patches

* Adjust some part balance parameters.

Edited by Felger
Corrected attribution

@Tellion Could you send me the craft file for the space plane you're re-entering? I would like to give a few setting changes a try to see if a re-entry is survivable.

Also what sort of orbits are we wanting to be survivable for space planes?

Absolutely, but it will require some mods I believe. Lemme load up KSP "quickly" :P

Edit: I am probably forgetting something, but here we go:

-RealFuels, Stockalike configs

-FAR

-Tweakable Everything

-Space Shuttle Engines

-SpaceY

-Procedural Parts

-TAC-LS

-TAC Fuel Balancer (Pumping fuel around helps with getting the AOA you want)

-Remote Tech (The flight computer allows you to set pitch, heading and roll)

-B9 Procedural Wings

-B9 Aerospace Dev version

-Ven's Stock Revamp

There probably are other mods adding modules but not parts to the craft, hopefully it works nonetheless.

Craft file

Also what sort of orbits are we wanting to be survivable for space planes?

Not much more than KEO I would suggest, for two reasons:

Firstly, it is going to be hard enough to get there, pushing wings around in space is going to be tremendously inefficient. Interplanetary returns are not going to happen anytime soon without mods like KSPI. Secondly, we do not have ablator in spaceplanes, meaning we can pretty much aerobrake as much as we want anyway.

Edited by Tellion

so, with the new atmospheric update, is there a more accurate dV map available (preferably without FAR as I'm cutting down for RAM)? Also, any tips for the pitch manoeuvre in this scale?

I.. do not think that FAR has much of an impact on RAM tbh. There is a dV map in the download, it is somewhat old but should still be moderately accurate since the orbital/physical properties of the planets have not undergone any significant changes.

Regarding the pitch manoeuvre, no hard steering, basically. A rough guideline that I have read pretty often here is pitching about 5° at ~100m/s, then following prograde.

I.. do not think that FAR has much of an impact on RAM tbh. There is a dV map in the download, it is somewhat old but should still be moderately accurate since the orbital/physical properties of the planets have not undergone any significant changes.

Regarding the pitch manoeuvre, no hard steering, basically. A rough guideline that I have read pretty often here is pitching about 5° at ~100m/s, then following prograde.

Right, cheers.

I generally pitch to 85 when hitting any where between 80-100m/s depending on thrust and desired orbit, then you can use corrective steering when you're in the upper atmosphere. I usually turn off all control and let the rocket orientate itself for the time in the lower atmosphere.

Tellion: I've adjusted the heating values some, and managed to bring your shuttle down to 30km, and everything was going well with no over heating until I lost concentration and lost control and the shuttle broke up.

Still the crew capsule survived long enough to plough into the ground.

I'll try and do some more testing over the weekend, but I'm flying out to Japan on Monday and won't be back for nearly three weeks, so don't have much time.

ETA: when I lost control the shuttle was traveling at 3km/s so should have been well past peak heating, so I think the new values should work.

Edited by Citizen247

when I lost control the shuttle was traveling at 3km/s so should have been well past peak heating, so I think the new values should work.

I have flown a few missions with it and 3km/s is usually past peak heat, so that sounds pretty good.

So it seems this latest update has removed all of my RemoteTech ground stations. How would I go about making a MM config to restore them, and so that it doesn't happen next time there's an update? The "wall of text" formatting of the new RT MM config makes it nearly impossible to read for me.

I have flown a few missions with it and 3km/s is usually past peak heat, so that sounds pretty good.

I'll try to upload it this afternoon for testing.

Also the game is still locking up with the current 4 time multiplication bug workaround for me. 5x still had problems with my testing, I found the lowest setting that worked for me was 10x.

So it seems this latest update has removed all of my RemoteTech ground stations. How would I go about making a MM config to restore them, and so that it doesn't happen next time there's an update? The "wall of text" formatting of the new RT MM config makes it nearly impossible to read for me.

I created a config that uses module manager to wipe out any ground stations and recreate them my way. I put it in a folder "ZZZZZ_Custom" where I keep all my custom configs.

Link:

https://gist.github.com/ntwest/d6e5d1a171f78e97a6f3

Note that my custom settings are in this file - multiple antenna multiplier of 0.3 and signal delay off.

Edited by westamastaflash

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.