KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

11 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@komodo I did update the file to handle drag cubes seamlessly so the only issue is the rescaleFactor thing.

Aha. I ... I don't know if ever I would have come to that patch; my fix was to brutally smash everything drag cube by 1.6x. Why some are skipped, I imagine that some of the cubes... wait, no I have no idea what i'm imagining now, never mind :P

The shell script I posted a while back in the RO discussion still should work fine for anyone on linux or os x, although i've reimplemented it in python 2.7 as a dual exercise in learning python and to make it easily portable to windows. Unfortunately, it is both: The first thing I ever wrote in python (Imagine your first piece of code... haha), and on my desktop system, which i'm not on. I'll dust it off as soon as I get a chance.

Cheers

I found a problem. every time I go for re-entry from LKO I get the same problem. all my ablator is being used 70 per second. and that is before I go into the atmo at all. I don't know if it's on my half or in the mod but maybe worth looking into

Edited by Mate_fin

5 minutes ago, Mate_fin said:

I found a problem. every time I go for re-entry from LKO I get the same problem. all my ablator is being used 70 per second. and that is before I go into the atmo at all. I don't know if it's on my half or in the mod but maybe worth looking into

I'll warn you first off, that 64k has largely been abandoned. OP was active it seems last week, but the majority of people using 64k have moved to Sigma Dimensions, which allows you to rescale Kerbin to any scale you want, 6.4x included. That being said, do you have either RealHeat, DRE, or FAR installed? 

Paul does seem to have abandoned 64k, but on what do you base the comment that most users have moved on to Sigma Dimensions? Right now Sigma Dimensions is still in development and while it looks extremely interesting I see no reason to switch... at least not until I find out that KSP 1.1 breaks this mod. 64k doesn't really need anything changed right now and I like that it came as a single bundle with everything needed included. I've been playing with 64k, and before it 64x and the only things I've wanted to fiddle with is making the terrain more interesting. I'd been thinking of asking the OP if he would have a  problem with me or better a community of users officially taking this over, but actually he made it public domain so that's not even legally required, just polite. :) Only thing that's holding me back right now is my total lack of experience with Github and the (hopefully) not too distant release of 1.1

Try tweaking the re-entry heat settings - I believe NathanKell posted an explanation of what to do some pages back in this thread.

1 hour ago, EatVacuum said:

Paul does seem to have abandoned 64k, but on what do you base the comment that most users have moved on to Sigma Dimensions? Right now Sigma Dimensions is still in development and while it looks extremely interesting I see no reason to switch... at least not until I find out that KSP 1.1 breaks this mod. 64k doesn't really need anything changed right now and I like that it came as a single bundle with everything needed included. I've been playing with 64k, and before it 64x and the only things I've wanted to fiddle with is making the terrain more interesting. I'd been thinking of asking the OP if he would have a  problem with me or better a community of users officially taking this over, but actually he made it public domain so that's not even legally required, just polite. :) Only thing that's holding me back right now is my total lack of experience with Github and the (hopefully) not too distant release of 1.1

I don't have a good way to back up "most users." I know a lot of people I used to see on this thread, are now over at Sigma, because it's being actively developed. Both add-ons are very similar, it's just a matter of maintenance and support. For one, it doesn't have an active download link anymore, so make sure you backup your install of it. 

Sigma is able to handle terrain scaling, so the Kerbin isn't totally flat, which is really nice. I think it'd be great if he just moved over to Sigma, and handed it off as a 6.4x scale preset for Sigma, with appropriate balance patches for things like FAR, RealHeat, DRE, SMURFF or ROMini. 

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

@blowfish Found it. However... when I modded it. It made Kerbin's day about 5 seconds.

There is a day length adjustment but it seems odd that it's changing that much.  Maybe inquire in that thread - be sure to include the config parameters you have changed, as well as your log and probably MM config cache too.

1 hour ago, curtquarquesso said:

I don't have a good way to back up "most users." I know a lot of people I used to see on this thread, are now over at Sigma, because it's being actively developed. Both add-ons are very similar, it's just a matter of maintenance and support. For one, it doesn't have an active download link anymore, so make sure you backup your install of it. 

Sigma is able to handle terrain scaling, so the Kerbin isn't totally flat, which is really nice. I think it'd be great if he just moved over to Sigma, and handed it off as a 6.4x scale preset for Sigma, with appropriate balance patches for things like FAR, RealHeat, DRE, SMURFF or ROMini. 

Ok, your reasoning makes sense, this forum has gotten a lot quieter. I was following SD for a while but it seemed to have a number of bug reports so I decided to let it mature for a while before seriously looking at it.

Regarding terrain scaling though, you can't raise the mountains much if you want them to be very realistic - Mt. Everest is "only" 8.85 km tall, and IIRC the "K2" mountain west of KSC is a bit taller than that. Ignoring realism, if you just scale terrain height up by a factor of 2 the mountains would be too high to fly over with the early jet engines but they'd still look boring because their width has been scaled up by horizontally by 6.4x so no dramatic mountain slopes. Much more and they might even get in the way of capsules trying to land at KSC. I tried playing with fixing the terrain by adjusting the deformation amount and it's not great. But that's just my opinion, your mileage might vary.

IMHO the only way to get good mountains, hilly highlands and grasslands that don't feel like you are an ant walking over a pool table in 6.4k is to add more terrain detail procedurally i.e. by using the various pqsmods. I would imagine it will be the same for 6.4x rescale under SD. But that's something that could be bundled in as part of the presets already proposed for 6.4x rescale under SD.

@curtquarquesso and @EatVacuum

I'd like to clear up a couple of misconceptions just to bring everybody on the same page :)

My mod was never intended as a 64k replacement (or any other rescale mod for that matter)

As EatVacuum and many others noted, the current 64k leaves kerbin a bit "flat". This is because there are A LOT of numbers to change.

and those are just for kerbin, then you need to change all other planets.

The issue with this approach is that, even if you take the time to change all the numbers for all the planets manually, then you will get people complaining that the planet packs do not support 64k. So either @Paul Kingtiger or the planet pack developers need to change all the numbers for the additional planets.

This is why I am developing SigmaDimensions, that mod will basically take care of changing all the numbers and since it does it in a "general" way, it should be compatible with all planet packs, no matter how complex they are.

I have already contacted Paul offering him to use SigmaDimensions as a dependency to handle the rescale, so that he can be free to change other things that are more specific (for example, textures or parts, or whatever other feature 64k offers now, even the additional PQS mods idea proposed by EatVacuum)

Paul said he would have looked into it, so I would not discount 64k as dead just yet :D

Edited by Sigma88

19 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

I'll warn you first off, that 64k has largely been abandoned. OP was active it seems last week, but the majority of people using 64k have moved to Sigma Dimensions, which allows you to rescale Kerbin to any scale you want, 6.4x included. That being said, do you have either RealHeat, DRE, or FAR installed? 

I only have FAR

Hi everyone, 64K isn't dead!  Personally I have had a back injury which has put me out of action since November 2015, but I'm back working on things now and I'm almost caught up with paid work stuff that I can start to look at getting back onboard with KSP.  SigmaDimentions is something I'm looking forward to playing around with, not as a replacement for 64K but as a framework to build 64K on, making it easier to update and more cross compatible.  Which will be handy as I have some other rescale mods to maintain.

Anyway, I'll be doing lots of testing with SIgmaDimentions and various resale options, including 64K and once we're all happy it's stable and represents an improvement over what we currently have, we'll release the new version.  

I don't know if that will happen before 1.1 because I don't know how long it'll be until that comes out.  But I imagine a lot of modders are holding off on making major changes right now because there's a new version around the corner and unity 5 is sure to break a lot of things.  

@Paul Kingtiger welcome back! Sorry to hear about the injury, glad you're on the mend. :)

I would not assume that Kopernicus will be ready very soon after--frankly, I'd be shocked if any code mods were ready soon after 1.1. So I would say, please don't hold back, you might be holding back a looooong time.

Oh, also, friend of mine tried to download US and saw the only link was to KerbalStuff. Would you mind reupping that to somewhere that exists? :]

3 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

Hi everyone, 64K isn't dead!  Personally I have had a back injury which has put me out of action since November 2015, but I'm back working on things now and I'm almost caught up with paid work stuff that I can start to look at getting back onboard with KSP.  SigmaDimentions is something I'm looking forward to playing around with, not as a replacement for 64K but as a framework to build 64K on, making it easier to update and more cross compatible.  Which will be handy as I have some other rescale mods to maintain.

Anyway, I'll be doing lots of testing with SIgmaDimentions and various resale options, including 64K and once we're all happy it's stable and represents an improvement over what we currently have, we'll release the new version.  

I don't know if that will happen before 1.1 because I don't know how long it'll be until that comes out.  But I imagine a lot of modders are holding off on making major changes right now because there's a new version around the corner and unity 5 is sure to break a lot of things.  

Good to have you back, I'll stick to Sigma Dimensions at this point. 

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Paul Kingtiger welcome back! Sorry to hear about the injury, glad you're on the mend. :)

I would not assume that Kopernicus will be ready very soon after--frankly, I'd be shocked if any code mods were ready soon after 1.1. So I would say, please don't hold back, you might be holding back a looooong time.

Oh, also, friend of mine tried to download US and saw the only link was to KerbalStuff. Would you mind reupping that to somewhere that exists? :]

Thanks Nathan,

I'm working on getting everything rehosted on Spacedock, it should be up in the next few days.

I'm one of the 64k users that is now using Dimensions. For what it's worth, it has nothing to do with 64k at all. I just needed a change in environments, so to speak, and Dimensions + Uncharted Lands was that ticket.

I didn't consider 64k to be abandoned, in fact it was extremely stable and playable. I'm still using the atmosphere curves from 64k in my current Dimensions save because they work the way I expect them to. The issues I had while running it were mods not designed for the rescale (Scatterer, which I gave up on trying to make work, being the biggest one.) In contrast, I had lots of teething issues with Dimensions. And that's not to say that @Sigma88 did a poor job with coding, it WIP and says so up front. And again the bugs I'm running into are mods not designed for it (rescaling a planet pack.) For what Dimensions is designed to do, it does very well: rescaling without having to do all the math up front. Beyond a couple of tweaks to get things working, I've had no game breaking issues.

On February 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Oh golly. Glad to hear you're ok. Take your time, seriously. Waiting for 1.1 sounds like a great course of action. Less work for everyone. 64k had a great way of dealing with atmosphere curves, and tweaking heating. I look forward to using that once again. Good to hear from you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.