KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

Hi,

Question for those using this... do you think I could/should use this with realfuels, or just up scaling my stock rockets?

Thanks,

Timmers

I've enjoyed the use of Real Fuels with the stockalike configs: the decreased weight of fuel tanks and engines really helps you get to orbit without excessively ballooning the size of your rockets. About the one comment I have is that you will probably need to increase TWR faster than you used to as you go down stages (which I think has to do with the fact that the ratio of per-stage wet/dry masses is steeper with Real Fuels).

Also, will probably use this repackaging the next time I start a new career. Thanks for this: 6.4x Kerbin is one of my favorite mods.

I've enjoyed the use of Real Fuels with the stockalike configs: the decreased weight of fuel tanks and engines really helps you get to orbit without excessively ballooning the size of your rockets. About the one comment I have is that you will probably need to increase TWR faster than you used to as you go down stages (which I think has to do with the fact that the ratio of per-stage wet/dry masses is steeper with Real Fuels).

Also, will probably use this repackaging the next time I start a new career. Thanks for this: 6.4x Kerbin is one of my favorite mods.

Thanks for the replies (both responders). I haven't gone near realfuels for ages, and the reason I was thinking possibly to add it to my hectic career game is because the engine masses/scalings do bother me and perhaps 6.47 plus realfuels is a good response to that, with the stock alike confis.

Tim

Why would Duna be tidally locked to the sun?

Duna to Ike.

BigIke will set on BigDuna's sky because it's not tidally locked to BigIke, only BigIke is tidally locked to BigDuna.

Geosyc. Orbit of Duna should be Ike's orbital altitude, but it's less than that on BigDuna. Therefore BigIke will set while [small]Ike always remains in almost exactly the same position in the sky.

Incedentally, I want someone to make a mod that approximates Barycenters for Ike and Duna, because they're TOTALLY a double planet.

Edited by GregroxMun

Speaking of RealFuels... are you guys aware of configs for the engines in the Tantares soviet pack? Not having seen any has been the main reason I've stayed away from RF so far.

I don't think Unity can handle barycenters, which is a shame because that would be really interesting from a orbital perspective.

This might solve that when it's completed. :D

Edited by S1gmoid

Yes, RF + Stockalike RF configs are just about perfect for this. Not sure about what's complicated in the install...

I agree, I have been using RF and Stockalike configs with 6.4x Kerbol system and it has been working very well. I found it much more fun to use once I started using procedural fuel tanks and parts.

I didn't find the installation of Realfuels complicated at all. I think people might be trying to use Realfuels with other mods and getting some mods to work with Realfuels can be a bit complicated. I have been having problems getting Interstellar to work with Realfuels, and since Interstellar is having problems with treeloader anyways I uninstalled it.

I would like to use some form of In Situ Resource Utilization with Realfuels. What would you recommend? I was thinking about editing Kethane or Karbonite to produce real fuels instead of liquid fuel and oxidizer, but I haven't looked to deeply into it yet.

There's an old integration config for Kethane bundled with RealFuels, but I don't even know if it works anymore, sorry. Some folks on the RF thread have been talking about ISRU recently, and there might be something soon.

Thankyou! I don't know how I missed that! I will be able to get that working with my install! Thanks!

Just want to say thanks to Paul for picking up the torch on this one. Didn't ever intend to not be involved, but I seem to have been on an extended break. :)

I would like to use some form of In Situ Resource Utilization with Realfuels. What would you recommend? I was thinking about editing Kethane or Karbonite to produce real fuels instead of liquid fuel and oxidizer, but I haven't looked to deeply into it yet.

I had a config for Karbonite to use RealFuels. Haven't updated it to use the new RF resources, so it's not working right now, but it'll give you LOTS of fuels from Karbonite. No promises, but I'm hoping to get it up to date within the next couple weeks. Stockalike RF configs is first up, but assuming Karbonite hasn't changed drastically that one should be simple to update. Link is in my sig for any interested.

How has no one done this?! I MUST KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!

There's a commented out piece in the standard RSS config (under the Earth/Kerbin entry I believe) that will do the export. I've seen it but never used it. IIRC there's some instructions there too.

You can add the following node inside any body node (like Kerbin{} ):

Export
{
resolution = 1024 // the width of the maps to export. Height will be half this.
maxHeight = 14000 // the maximum variation in height in meters (i.e. height of tallest peak + depth of deepest ocean trench / crater
oceanColor = 0.1255, 0.22353, 0.35683 // the color to make the ocean. DO NOT INCLUDE if the body doesn't have an ocean or you want to render a color map showing the color of the sea floor.
}

I give up for now on getting the 6.4x textures to export properly (or maybe it's the problem that they're importing improperly). But at any rate everything's working great. ScaledSpace transistions from the PQS terrain perfectly. Except for one. Kraken. Darned. Problem. THE OCEAN IS BLACK.

If, when I get up in the morning, the current maintainer has not already made a patch, I might get back to work trying to fix it. [sighs, then yawns]. Going to bed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.