KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

On 9/1/2016 at 4:50 PM, Legate Loginod said:

Well , hey people , i have a problem with scatterer's sunflare and i think 64k is the reason why is it breaking (since it also increases the size of the sun by 6.4) , the sunflare actually works , but it show up as a really small dot inside the vanilla sun that is now huuuge. Can someone help me with this?

same

How come when i have a vessel under 93,100m it doesnt begin falling back to kerbin? in 6.4 scale the atmo goes to 93,100m does it not?

I can tell the mod is installed right because stock dV to orbit doesnt get me there in my install. but 6.4 scale dV to orbit does.... only issue is the atmo doesnt have seemed to scale up for me.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎12 at 5:59 AM, Dermeister said:

IS this mod still being updated or would I be better off in RSS?

Welllll.... the KSP version supported by KScale64 is showing as 1.1.3 on its Spacedock link, and the current version of KSP is... 1.1.3. So I would say it is still being updated.

KScale is now pretty much just a set of configs for Sigma Dimensions so it's not nearly as much work as it was to maintain when it was 64k Rescale. So the better questions is "will SD continue to be updated?"

Even if Paul Kingtiger drops out, he was good enough to make it public domain so I expect the community will keep it going. Personally having played the original 6.4x rescale, then 64k and now KScale64, I just can't go back to stock. It's just too tiny, and no longer challenging, so I might have to jump in front of the bullet if no one more competent does.

I would say that you should base your decision on where your "Goldilocks zone" for challenge/realism/fun lies. RSS is very challenging, stock is much less so, KScale64 is right in the middle. For that matter there's also KScale 2, and there were x3.2 and x5 and other rescales out there, although I can't say if they are all still active.

Edited by EatVacuum

14 minutes ago, EatVacuum said:

Welllll.... the KSP version supported by KScale64 is showing as 1.1.3 on its Spacedock link, and the current version of KSP is... 1.1.3. So I would say it is still being updated.

KScale is now pretty much just a set of configs for Sigma Dimensions so it's not nearly as much work as it was to maintain when it was 64k Rescale. So the better questions is "will SD continue to be updated?"

Even if Paul Kingtiger drops out, he was good enough to make it public domain so I expect the community will keep it going. Personally having played the original 6.4x rescale, then 64k and now KScale64, I just can't go back to stock. It's just too tiny, and no longer challenging, so I might have to jump in front of the bullet if no one more competent does.

I would say that you should base your decision on where your "Goldilocks zone" for challenge/realism/fun lies. RSS is very challenging, stock is much less so, KScale64 is right in the middle. For that matter there's also KScale 2, and there were x3.2 and x5 and other rescales out there, although I can't say if they are all still active.

I'm in the same boat  I've been playing RSS but I don't like using Realism overhaul because it In some cases make the capsules oversized trying to make it "human size" I don't like that I want to play as kerbals but I like the challenge of RSS. But if you don't use RO the engines are underperforming. So I wanted to go back to 64k.

Actually, I was thinking I would like to play with the Earth and other real planets, but at the 6.4x scale rather than the 10x of RSS...

Personally I play KScale 64 with real fuels and the real fuels stockalike configs but nothing else from RO. And of course 50-60 other mods plus some personal config changes to balance weights, make solar panels les spowerful, make the terrain bumpier, add extra ground stations for Remote tech... 

So my KSP is definitely not vanilla, it's more like one scoop of vanilla ice cream with a pint of butterscotch and a pound of sprinkles on top. :confused:

Edited by EatVacuum
extra comments

10 hours ago, Dermeister said:

I'm in the same boat  I've been playing RSS but I don't like using Realism overhaul because it In some cases make the capsules oversized trying to make it "human size" I don't like that I want to play as kerbals but I like the challenge of RSS. But if you don't use RO the engines are underperforming. So I wanted to go back to 64k.

RSS plus SMURFF at full lever works pretty well.  I played an RSS game like that for about a month, and got a full surface Moon base going along with an orbital Moon station.  Unmanned craft made it to Mars, Venus, and Mercury, but no manned craft made it to another planet.  I just started to get really tired of the axial tilt that was manifested as the whole solar system at an angle, so I'm thinking I'll go back to 6.4x or maybe even 10x Kerbol system after the 1.2 mods shake out.

Hey this mod is really cool, is there a way to make stock visual enhancements and scatterer fit with this?

EDIT

after checking other resize mods i couldn't believe it would just work by installing sve, anyway the clouds seem to be a bit too high (like 30km), how can i lower their altitude?

Edited by Morx

2 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

I installed this, and for some reason it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? I just installed the mod, and nothing happened. 

Did you install SigmaDimensions? It's a KScale64 dependency, but the mod author, last I checked, refused to have it hosted on CKAN. As such, that has to be installed manually.

Also note that what comes off CKAN doesn't seem to contain all the latest files hosted on the KScale64 GitHub, the lack of which make atmospheric reentry extraordinarily impractical*.

*You probably want to grab at least the ProcParts-SizeLims.cfg, HeatTweak, and play about with the DeadlyReentry settings (what I have below has worked so far).

// RSS specific tweaks (untested in KSP 1.0.5!)
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]]:AFTER[DeadlyReentry]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]
	{
		@lossExp *= 1.05
		@lossConst *= 0.18
		@pyrolysisLossFactor *= 2.4
	}
}

On 9/13/2016 at 7:04 PM, EatVacuum said:

I don't plan to abandon any of my mods, and even if I decided to abandon one of them you can be sure I will find a successor that has time to maintain development of the mod in question.

in the extreme case I can't find anyone I trust with my mod, I will just release the mod into public domain so anyone can pick it up.

that said, real life stuff has taken time from my ksp modding and this is why SD wasn't officially updated to 1.1.3

however if you go on github and download the "NewDimensions" branch you will get a version that works pretty well with 1.1.3

I just didn't have the time to make a proper release, and with 1.2 coming I decided to wait it out and fix whatever bug 1.2 brings along

Edited by Sigma88

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:13 AM, Norcalplanner said:

RSS plus SMURFF at full lever works pretty well.  I played an RSS game like that for about a month, and got a full surface Moon base going along with an orbital Moon station.  Unmanned craft made it to Mars, Venus, and Mercury, but no manned craft made it to another planet.  I just started to get really tired of the axial tilt that was manifested as the whole solar system at an angle, so I'm thinking I'll go back to 6.4x or maybe even 10x Kerbol system after the 1.2 mods shake out.

Does SMurf play nice with Real fuels?

2 hours ago, Dermeister said:

I don't know. I've never used Real Fuels outside of a Realism Overhaul game, and I'm away from the computer atm. One of the reasons I went with SMURFF was so I could continue to use the parts I know and love, such as SpaceY and Fuel Tanks Plus, with stats which are closer to real world.

On 15/09/2016 at 10:35 PM, Morx said:

after checking other resize mods i couldn't believe it would just work by installing sve, anyway the clouds seem to be a bit too high (like 30km), how can i lower their altitude?

I have a tweak that lowers the altitude to about 4-8km, I'll try to remember to post it when I get home tonight.

On 21/09/2016 at 6:28 PM, Dermeister said:

Seems to work fine for me.

On 14/09/2016 at 5:13 AM, Norcalplanner said:

I just started to get really tired of the axial tilt that was manifested as the whole solar system at an angle, so I'm thinking I'll go back to 6.4x or maybe even 10x Kerbol system after the 1.2 mods shake out.

I'm currently playing on a 10x Kerbol, for much the same reasons, seems to work quite nicely, I can maybe release the config.

On 9/23/2016 at 1:32 AM, Citizen247 said:

I'm currently playing on a 10x Kerbol, for much the same reasons, seems to work quite nicely, I can maybe release the config.

Those configs would be nice - I'm holding off starting a new game until 1.2 and at least a minimal selection of mods are ready, but I'd love to give it a whirl in a week or two.

On 29/09/2016 at 2:25 AM, Norcalplanner said:

Those configs would be nice - I'm holding off starting a new game until 1.2 and at least a minimal selection of mods are ready, but I'd love to give it a whirl in a week or two.

It requires Sigma Dimensions, but since that's all configs it should carry on working:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 10
	Rescale = 5
	Atmosphere = 1.5
	dayLengthMultiplier = 4
}

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	landscape = .50
	atmoVisualEffect = 1
	resizeScatter = 1
	CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 0
	atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
}

I scale the geography by half of the planet rescale, because on Kerbin that seems to produce a good balance between terrain not being too flat, and not getting mountains that might take satellites out of their orbits...

The atmosphere scales to around 105km, which works for me as it's close to the karman line. Day length is set to around 24 hours (6 x 4), longer/shorter days can be achieved by changing "dayLengthMultiplier".

The Cloud config I use drops clouds to around 6-8km, which places it in a reasonable range similar to Earth:

@EVE_CLOUDS:AFTER[SigDim2]
{
  @OBJECT,*
  {
    @altitude *= 0.15625 // returns to original cloud height
  }
}

I didn't write this, I think I got it from this thread but can't remember who from.

Adjusts ScanSat altitudes:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[SCANsat]]:NEEDS[SCANsat]:Final
{
    @MODULE[SCANsat]
    {
        @min_alt *= 1.5
        @max_alt *= 1
        @best_alt *= 1.5
        @power *= 1.5
    }
}

The Remotetech config I use, it's various bits of various other configs with some stuff of my own:

RemoteTechSettings
{
	ConsumptionMultiplier = 0.25
	RangeMultiplier = 10
	ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2
	SpeedOfLight = 3E+08
	MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Path
	EnableSignalDelay = False
	RangeModelType = Root
	MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 1
	ThrottleTimeWarp = True
	ThrottleZeroOnNoConnection = True
	HideGroundStationsBehindBody = True
	DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,0.1
	OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,0.1
	ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1
	GroundStations
	{
		STATION
		{
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488
			Name = Mission Control
			Latitude = -0.131331503391266
			Longitude = -74.594841003418
			Height = 100
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,1
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+11
				}
			}
		}
		STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc489
			Name = KSC Northern Control
			Latitude = 19.65
			Longitude = -77.4
			Height = 3200
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.3
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 1E+06
				}
			}
        }
		STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc490
			Name = KSC NE Island
			Latitude = 5.7
			Longitude = -61.28
			Height = 1320
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.3
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 1E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc491
			Name = Eastern Peninsula
			Latitude = 3.15
			Longitude = -37.35
			Height = 1980
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.5
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc492
			Name = Eastern Mountains
			Latitude = -2.6
			Longitude = 1.5
			Height = 4400
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.5
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc493
			Name = Central Continent
			Latitude = 0.4
			Longitude = 56.2
			Height = 2450
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.5
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc494
			Name = Far Eastern Mountains
			Latitude = -6.6
			Longitude = 113.6
			Height = 6500
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.5
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc495
			Name = Far Eastern Peninsula
			Latitude = -5.4
			Longitude = 141.9
			Height = 380
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.3
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 1E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc496
			Name = Crater Mountain Ridge
			Latitude = 1.19
			Longitude = -175.5
			Height = 5900
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.5
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc497
			Name = Desert
			Latitude = 2.25
			Longitude = -131.8
			Height = 3330
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.5
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 9E+06
				}
			}
        }
        STATION
        {
			Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc498
			Name = KSC Mountains
			Latitude = -0.1
			Longitude = -79.72
			Height = 5450
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 1,0,0,0.3
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 1E+06
				}
			}
        }

STATION
		{
			Guid = 12ef84b3-d7b3-45de-bb3d-287655c46410
			Name = Cape Kanaveral
			Latitude = 28.608389
			Longitude = 89.45
			Height = 81
			Body = 1
			MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0,1
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 7.5E+07
				}
			}
		}
		STATION
		{
			Guid = a3957d31-b3cb-4c64-863b-a1578ac49aa9
			Name = Baikonur Kosmodrome
			Latitude = 45.920
			Longitude = -167
			Height = 133
			Body = 1
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 7.5E+07
				}
			}
		}
		STATION
		{
			Guid = 71b51f34-7dff-46ec-8624-70d1ee706516
			Name = Kerram Spaceport
			Latitude = -19.6761743576913
			Longitude = -141.1
			Height = 133
			Body = 1
			Antennas
			{
				ANTENNA
				{
					Omni = 7.5E+07
				}
			}
		}

}
}

I've dropped consumption to 0.25 so that battery only satellites are possible in the early game, and I think the antennas take way too much power while "idle". I've turned off signal delay, because I've been there done that, and it makes the game too frustrating for landing (though sometimes I still turn it back on).

It includes a few extra ground stations for alternative launch sites I use for KSCSwitcher:

KSCSWITCHER
{
	DefaultSite = ksc
	LaunchSites
	{
		Site
		{
			name = Kerram Spaceport
			displayName = Kerram Spaceport
			description = Headquarters to the UKPs rocket and aircraft tests.
			PQSCity
			{
				KEYname = KSC
				latitude = -19.6761743576913
				longitude = -141.1
				repositionRadiusOffset = 967
				repositionToSphereSurface = false
				reorientFinalAngle = 51
				lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			}
			PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
			{
				radius = 7000
				heightMapDeformity = 0
				absoluteOffset = 64
				absolute = true
				latitude = -19.6761743576913
				longitude = -141.1
			}
		}

Site
		{
			name = ksc
			displayName = Kerbal Space Center
			description = When Kerbals dream of space their first thought is often of Kerbal Space Center, the de facto home of spaceflight for the peoples of Kerbin.
			PQSCity
			{
				KEYname = KSC
				latitude = -0.0969
				longitude = -74.6002
				repositionRadiusOffset = 41
				reorientFinalAngle = 345
				lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			}
			PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
			{
				radius = 7000
				heightMapDeformity = 0
				absoluteOffset = 64
				absolute = true
				latitude = -0.25
				longitude = -74.6
			}
		}

Site
        	{
			name = CapeKanaveral
			displayName = Cape Kanaveral
			description = An early rocket and aircraft testing range, eventually the Cape became home of the UKS space program.
			PQSCity
			{
				KEYname = KSC
				latitude = 28.608389
				longitude = 89.45
				repositionRadiusOffset = 104
				reorientFinalAngle = 181
				lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			}
			PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
			{
				radius = 10500
				heightMapDeformity = 81
				absoluteOffset = 50
				absolute = true
				latitude = 28.608389
				longitude = 89.45
			}
		}
		Site
		{
			name = BaikonurKosmodrome
			displayName = Baikonur Kosmodrome
			description = Concieved as the first launch site for KKKP nuclear ICBMs, the facilities soon proved themselves just as useful for launching to orbit.
			PQSCity
			{
				KEYname = KSC
				latitude = 45.920
				longitude = -167
				repositionRadiusOffset = 1150
				reorientFinalAngle = 77
				lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
			}
			PQSMod_MapDecalTangent
			{
				radius = 20000
				heightMapDeformity = 133
				absoluteOffset = 1050
				absolute = true
				latitude = 45.920
				longitude = -167
			}
		}

}
}

I'll probably add more in future, but it gives some nice challenging launch sites at higher latitudes in the northern and southern hemisphere.

Okay, I installed this mod manually - not through CKAN - because I read above that SigmaDimensions is a dependency (despite that being mentioned nowhere in the OP). I also installed alongside SigmaDimensions and Kopernicus.

It...doesn't seem to work. Is there a step I'm missing? Some sort of installation instructions would sure be helpful.

Edited by the grue

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 10:17 PM, the grue said:

Okay, I installed this mod manually - not through CKAN - because I read above that SigmaDimensions is a dependency (despite that being mentioned nowhere in the OP). I also installed alongside SigmaDimensions and Kopernicus.

It...doesn't seem to work. Is there a step I'm missing? Some sort of installation instructions would sure be helpful.

Full instructions are included in the SpaceDock download, although it won't work with KSP 1.2 until Kopernicus is updated.

1 hour ago, Quodios Kerman said:

Hey! Here's updated Kopernicus! I haven't checked compatiability with current version of kScale, but maybe it will work!

P.S. Lost Compatiability. Need recompile.

Need to wait for Sigma Dimensions to get updated at this point.

1 hour ago, Quodios Kerman said:

dev version of sigma dimension works, even though it does not rescale atmosphere

Ayup.  It affected my decision to only go with 3.2x scale in my new career, since you can still do decent aerobraking at that scale in only 70 km.

2 hours ago, Quodios Kerman said:

dev version of sigma dimension works, even though it does not rescale atmosphere

Which OS are you using?  I'm running into constant null reference exceptions with any and all versions of Sigma.  Even Kopernicus fails to load if I attempt to resize anything (rescale and atmo is actual working, which leads me to believe there is a capitalization error in Kopernicus/SigmaD)

On 2016. 10. 28. at 11:47 AM, Sandworm said:

Which OS are you using?  I'm running into constant null reference exceptions with any and all versions of Sigma.  Even Kopernicus fails to load if I attempt to resize anything (rescale and atmo is actual working, which leads me to believe there is a capitalization error in Kopernicus/SigmaD)

I am using Windows 10. Are you using dev version correctly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.