[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

hehe locustgate im with ya... SOOOO cant wait for v1 support in scansat those new popup mini maps look SO awesome i will be poking the heck out ov eve with that... oh any plans to have karborumdrum scanning? i cant wait to get that on the maps to. even if its just what has been seen by usi's scan having that data available on the main map would be a big help.

I would not enjoy ksp 1/2 as much wo your scanners and kas

Sorry to be one of those REALLY annoying people, but any rough gestimate of when a playable dev version will bu out?

He has said it already: "Hopefully I'll have something ready by the weekend."

I've finished most aspects of the system described in the release thread for interacting with the new stock resource system.

By default the SCANsat resource maps will automatically fill whenever you scan a planet with the stock orbital survey scanner (it will also detect already scanned planets). You can then view the results on the SCANsat maps; the biome lock option can toggled in the settings menu to remove the need for ground-truthing.

There is also an option to limit zoom map resource overlays to planets with the narrow-band scanner for ore, or the corresponding part for other resources. Doing this in an intelligent way is the sticking point for now (though I haven't actually spent much time on it).

I'm also not sure what the best way to handle this is. Should I limit the resource overlay to when your current vessel has a narrow-band scanner, or when any vessel around the current planet has a scanner? The former is simple and is, I think, mostly working, the latter would require a better method. Either way, you can disable this option to always be able to view resource overlays on the zoom map.

Scanning resources using the standard SCANsat method works fine. The SCANsat module gets attached to a resource scanner and can only be activated once the scanner is deployed (using the awesome new ModuleAnimationGroup and IAnimatedModule interface), then you just activate and scan as normal.

I also plan on giving the option of using the Survey Scanner to scan for all resources, or to use individual scanners for each resource. Module Manager configs will add special SCANsat modules to each relevant scanner part (Survey Scanner, Karbonite array, MKS antenna, etc...) and will have a field that can be changed to enable or disable the module. You can also specify the resource scanning type in the config, allowing you to use whatever part you want.

There is also an option in the settings menu to delete any existing resource scanning data. That way you can play around using the the stock, instant-scan method, then switch to regular SCANsat scanning later if you want. Deleting resource data doesn't affect regular SCANsat data.

Dude, ksp has the fastest updating mods I have ever seen! Even minecraft doesn't update this fast...

That is because Minecraft doesn't help modders in any way... they often make it more difficult for them instead. (not like GTA but well still hard) KSP is an extreme mod friendly game. (not as much as Space engineers .. I think ... but well still really good)

--------------

The version 1.0 update is mostly working. The actual map-breaking bugs have been fixed and are relatively minor.

Resource integration is fairly simple and seems to be working ok. Map overlays are working the same as before, though I'd like to get to the point where I can override the stock planet overlay so that easy-mode scanning can be disabled.

One immediate issue that I've noticed is that not all overlay types actually seem to match up. Only the dot grid overlay seems to actually be accurate.

http://imgur.com/a/06A4O

The poles have very high Ore density, but they don't show anything using the line or blob overlay. There are other differences visible as well when switching between the different modes, but the dot grid seems to be consistently more accurate.

The SCANsat map overlay is working the same as before.

http://i.imgur.com/tYJbXof.png

Regular SCANsat functions also seem to be OK (a minor tech node adjustment is needed) and MechJeb integration works with 2.5.

Hopefully I'll have something ready by the weekend.

Wow that is looking really good (and better than my installed one [dev5] in whhich the big map is totally broken).

There is only one more question: At whom I have to point my weapon at to get these binaries?

Well anyway keep up the good work.

edit2: With other words: Don't hog* your dev6 binaries and publish them (because they seem to work better in 1.0 than the dev5 do)

-----

*= Not sure if that is the right verb here. My instinct says it so but English is not my native language.

Edited by Bizz Keryear
spelling edit2: made a point

I just edited the cfg from the parts 1 and 2 so they were linked to the "start" science.

Now I can play 1.0 carrer with ScanSAT... too good to play without!

Love what your doing right now looks promising.

Edited by Sesiom
grammar

i'm just curious if you plan to do a part of your own for the new orbital scanners, or just add a module to the existing ones?

i am not very fond of how huge and awkward to place/launch the new stock scanners are. ive actually edited my install to .5 rescale factor on the stock modules already

I've come up with what I think is a pretty good solution to the zoom map resource overlay limit.

Basically it searches for any properly equipped vessels that are at the planet you are looking at.

It first checks if they are actually in orbit (not a flyby, or in the atmosphere, etc...) then it checks that their inclination is actually high enough to view the area in the zoom map (I've set it to check for inclinations higher than 10o below the current center of the map; with the zoom map centered at 60o North you'll need an inclination of at least 50o), this means that you'll need a vessel with a narrow-band scanner in orbit around the planet, and one that is theoretically capable of seeing the spot you are looking at.

After checking all of that it checks to see if the vessel actually has a narrow-band scanner, and if it is scanning for the resource you are currently looking at.

I'll need to check what happens if you have lots of vessels in orbit, I'll probably put in some further restrictions (don't look at vessels with a single part, or asteroids, EVA kerbals, etc...) just to make sure things don't get bogged down in flight. And if you turn off the zoom map resource restrictions it skips all of this, obviously.

A new version is up; get it on GitHub.

No promises on stability, but everything seems OK.

SCANsat is updated for KSP 1.0.2, standard SCANsat scanning functions should all work the same as before.

Stock resource system scanning integration is added in this release. By default all big map resource overlays are filled in when you scan a planet with the stock Orbital Surveyor. Biome scanning restrictions are in place and the zoom map resource overlays are limited to regions of the map that are within the orbital inclination of any vessel containing a narrow-band scanner. Both restrictions can be disabled in the settings menu.

Stock instant scan can be disabled for SCANsat maps. This will force you to scan planets the normal way. Module Manager is required for this and adds a SCANsat module to the stock Orbital Surveyor part, by default this module scans for all supported resources, though this can be changed in the included Module Manager config. MM configs are also included for the various supported narrow-band scanners (Ore scanner, Karbonite detection array, MKS antenna), these only scan for their related resources.

See the first post for the full change log and more info.

Let me know if anything terribly wrong happens. :kiss:

Something in the log, but I don't know if it is realy harmless:

Non platform assembly: C:\Kerbal Space Program 1.0\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Kerbal Space Program 1.0\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANmechjeb.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SCANmechjeb': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANmechjeb.SCANmechjeb' from assembly 'SCANmechjeb, Version=1.1.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

MechJeb2-2.5.0.0

SCANsat-v11rc6

Edited by Kolago

Something in the log, but I don't know if it is realy harmless:

Non platform assembly: C:\Kerbal Space Program 1.0\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.dll (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: C:\Kerbal Space Program 1.0\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANmechjeb.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SCANmechjeb': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANmechjeb.SCANmechjeb' from assembly 'SCANmechjeb, Version=1.1.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

MechJeb2-2.5.0.0

SCANsat-v11rc6

I need full log files, not excerpts.

Edit: Nevermind, I found out what was wrong.

Edited by DMagic

So how does the vanilla narrow band scanner work? Put it into a 110km orbit, hit start scan, and nothing. Insta scan is off. Do I need to do a biome scan first?

The narrow-band scanner's only interaction with SCANsat is through the zoom window. A narrow-band scanner is needed in orbit, and at a sufficient inclination for the zoom map resource overlay to be shown.

There is a SCANsat module attached to the narrow-band scanner, but by default it is in an inactive mode (you can see this in the VAB info tab screen), but it can be changed in the Module Manager config to work as a SCANsat ore scanner. The Orbital Survey Scanner (the big dish) scans for all resources.

Greetings,

I'm not sure my Karbonite scan is working. I'm using the KA-100 Detection Array in my satellite, its orbit around Kerbin is about 100km, no problem. But the scans are showing just grey lines, lighter than the small map background color. The big map ins't showing anything at all, only the grey background. I followed the instructions in the SCANsat tutorial and I was hoping for that cool map with the orange dots and stuff... I tried changing the configuration but I had no success. Did I do something wrong? Do I need some prior Altimetry scans or something?

Except for this little issue, everything seems to be working perfectly. Thanks for the great mod btw!

Edit: Altimetry seems to be working.

Edit2: Every other scanning equipment seem to be working fine.

Edited by JohnTomato

The narrow-band scanner's only interaction with SCANsat is through the zoom window. A narrow-band scanner is needed in orbit, and at a sufficient inclination for the zoom map resource overlay to be shown.

There is a SCANsat module attached to the narrow-band scanner, but by default it is in an inactive mode (you can see this in the VAB info tab screen), but it can be changed in the Module Manager config to work as a SCANsat ore scanner. The Orbital Survey Scanner (the big dish) scans for all resources.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Saw "inactive" in the cfg, but never put 2 and 2 together. Makes sense now LOL. Is there any difference in functionality between the hexagonal narrow band scanner and the surface scanner? Both seem to allow zoomed resource viewing for a given area. Both seem to work on surface and orbit. Maybe change it so the hex one allows zoom view above 70km, and the surface ore scanner below that?

EDIT: Oh, and what does the "lock resources to biome", or whatever it's called, do?

Edited by INSULINt

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Saw "inactive" in the cfg, but never put 2 and 2 together. Makes sense now LOL. Is there any difference in functionality between the hexagonal narrow band scanner and the surface scanner? Both seem to allow zoomed resource viewing for a given area. Both seem to work on surface and orbit. Maybe change it so the hex one allows zoom view above 70km, and the surface ore scanner below that?

EDIT: Oh, and what does the "lock resources to biome", or whatever it's called, do?

You're able to view the resource overlay in the zoom map with just the Surface Scanner in orbit? Do you have a vessel with a Narrow-Band Scanner anywhere in orbit, or did you modify the MaxAbundanceAltitude value on the Surface Scanner?

It shouldn't allow you to view resources in the zoom map unless you have something with a ModuleResourceScanner, with a MaxAbundanceAltitude greater than 10000 and a the correct ResourceName and ScannerType.

For the time being the activeModule field in the new ModuleSCANresourceScanner is mostly there for future use, but it also makes it easy for anyone who wants to use the Narrow-Band scanner as a SCANsat sensor to do so without significant changes.

The Resource Biome Lock toggle prevents you from viewing accurate resource abundance levels from orbit without first scanning biomes with the Surface Scanner. With it turned on you'll notice that resource amounts on the SCANsat map are very even.

I'm not sure my Karbonite scan is working. I'm using the KA-100 Detection Array in my satellite, its orbit around Kerbin is about 100km, no problem. But the scans are showing just grey lines, lighter than the small map background color. The big map ins't showing anything at all, only the grey background. I followed the instructions in the SCANsat tutorial and I was hoping for that cool map with the orange dots and stuff... I tried changing the configuration but I had no success. Did I do something wrong? Do I need some prior Altimetry scans or something?

Are you using the latest SCANsat version and KSP 1.0.2? The KA-100 Detection Array (and the MKS Antenna) aren't really setup properly to work with SCANsat. I need to get RoverDude to remove those Module Manager configs from his side.

That said, the problem with your Karbonite display is probably that you are scanning Kerbin; Karbonite abundance on Kerbin falls under a very narrow range and might not show up on the map. Try scanning somewhere else.

Edited by DMagic

Is it bad that I lost track of what stuff I put into orbit for testing? I'll try to do more accurate stuff tomorrow, but it seemed weird that the stock surface thing for discovering the specific ore amount on the ground allowed me to see info on the zoom map. Does the narrow band allow you to see resources on the zoom map even if the active vessel doesn't have it equiped?

Does the narrow band allow you to see resources on the zoom map even if the active vessel doesn't have it equiped?

Yes. The maps aren't tied to vessels. It just searches for any suitable vessel in orbit around the planet that the zoom map is showing, it works in flight, the space center and tracking station.