[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

A wild bug has appeared

After I´ve Installed your mod by copying the files in my GameData folder much of my progression has been removed. All buildings from LV. 3 being donwgraded to LV. 1. And All of my Saves (except persistnent) being deleted and all of my ships, all of my crew (except the veterans) and all of my achivments being removed and are not appearing in the save file any more. There are some other bugs like some times the startscreen is not appearing and so on....

Please fix.

2 hours ago, TheMechanik said:

A wild bug has appeared

After I´ve Installed your mod by copying the files in my GameData folder much of my progression has been removed. All buildings from LV. 3 being donwgraded to LV. 1. And All of my Saves (except persistnent) being deleted and all of my ships, all of my crew (except the veterans) and all of my achivments being removed and are not appearing in the save file any more. There are some other bugs like some times the startscreen is not appearing and so on....

Please fix.

Need more details.

I put a sat in orbit at precisely 750km around a body and started a SAR scan and yet it still says my altitude is sub-optimal, despite being at the exact altitude listed as 'best' in the help menu...what gives? It's scanning like a dream though, so it's bugging me more than it should.

@Zapo147 Orbital parameters are double precision floating points, so it's unlikely that anything is ever exact, at least for anything longer than a second. Try what @DStaal said and see if it changes. In any event it won't make any difference, the scanning width is eventually rounded to an integer value, so if the scanner is operating at 99.99% of its max scanning width the result will be the same as operating at 100%.

@Poodmund Why would I ever take away such a thing. :D The new map projection is solely for the smaller, zoom map.

The big map shows the entire surface, so some degree of distortion is inevitable (I almost always use the Kavrayskiy VII, I think it looks best), but the zoom map is usually showing only a small area, so the new map projection prevents most distortion regardless of where the map is centered. Before, if the zoom map was centered near the poles it was nearly useless because everything was so stretched out. A quick solution was to allow for using the polar projection as well, but that was never really ideal. Now it works more like KerbNet, just without all of those altitude-based zoom restrictions.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@Poodmund Why would I ever take away such a thing. :D The new map projection is solely for the smaller, zoom map.

Phew, I was starting to get worried. I have used it in the past to export large slope maps and the like: http://poodmund.com/gpp/maps/gael/. It would have been a shame if it was no longer an option to do so.

16 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Zapo147 Orbital parameters are double precision floating points, so it's unlikely that anything is ever exact, at least for anything longer than a second. Try what @DStaal said and see if it changes. In any event it won't make any difference, the scanning width is eventually rounded to an integer value, so if the scanner is operating at 99.99% of its max scanning width the result will be the same as operating at 100%.

The big map shows the entire surface, so some degree of distortion is inevitable (I almost always use the Kavrayskiy VII, I think it looks best), but the zoom map is usually showing only a small area, so the new map projection prevents most distortion regardless of where the map is centered. Before, if the zoom map was centered near the poles it was nearly useless because everything was so stretched out. A quick solution was to allow for using the polar projection as well, but that was never really ideal. Now it works more like KerbNet, just without all of those altitude-based zoom restrictions.

It worked, and thank you for responding and explaining!

SCANsat version 17.2 is out; get it on GitHub.

The primary changes are the new color management window, which has been integrated into the standard settings window, along with warning/confirmation windows where needed (when resetting scanning data, or overwriting saved settings files) and several minor UI fixes and updates.

Unimplemented or Unfinished Features:

Other:

• BTDT instruments window readout disabled
  • MechJeb integration disabled
  • Planetary overlay map tooltips disabled

Known bugs:

Major:

• Some odd behavior may be observed when planetary overlay maps are left on when switching vessels or scenes
  • Always manually turn off overlay maps
  • Toggling any overlay map on and off should fix any problems (usually text that becomes unreadable)

Minor:

• Some UI sychronization errors
  • Changes in some settings will require toggling a window off and on again before taking effect

Not a bug:

• Existing settings will mostly be reset (scanning data is maintained)
  • Reverting to SCANsat v16.x or earlier will result in loss of scanning data

Change Log:

Color management window overhaul

• Built using the new UI system
  • Integrated into standard settings window
  • New HSV color picker
  • New biome map options specific to the small map
  • Text input fields for most sliders and color selection

Other updates and bug fixes

• Reset waypoint button while selecting
    • Refreshes auto-gen waypoint name
  • Fixes to stuck tooltips
  • Warning and confirmation windows added where needed
  • Fixed a potential error with Raster Prop Monitor resource overlays
  • Various minor fixes and additions to the UI

The new color management windows:

FFKIVcj.png

jamlLr0.png

uNbtYft.png

4g13QV2.png

Note how the sliders all have text input fields next to them. When entering text into these the associated values will automatically be updated if the values are valid (if they fall within the slider limits shown on screen), there is no need to push enter or press a button to submit the values; the input fields will only accept numerical text, either whole number integers or decimal values where appropriate. 

The new color picker uses a more standard HSV color selection. The slider on the right controls hue and the color box allows for selection of saturation (X axis) and value (brightness - Y axis). To the left of the color picker the current color value is printed out in RGB (0-255), HSV (0-360 for H; 0-255 for S and V), and Hex values. RGB values can be entered into the input fields. Whole number integers (0-255) or floating point values (0-1) can be used, the system will automatically detect which system you are trying to use based on the presence of the decimal point.

The color management functions otherwise work the same as before, with a few additional biome options specific to the small map.

Warning dialog:

2Ua4wLU.png

Whenever needed a confirmation popup will appear, preventing accidental data erasure.

Waypoint refresh:

kA1mFM8.png

There is also a new feature added to waypoint selection. The refresh button will clear any waypoints added during the current selection session (ie before pushing set or cancel, existing waypoints are not affected), and refresh the auto-generated name.

I should also add that all of the tooltips, standard and the settings window help tooltips, are loaded from a language file from the disk (GameData/SCANsat/Resources/SCANlocalization.cfg) that allows for replacement with different languages. This has been slightly expanded from previous versions and also includes the text found in the warning/confirmation popups. There is a section in the SCANsat wiki that goes over how to add or submit translations for the text: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/wiki/SCANsat-Localization-File

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic This latest release is outstanding! Thank you for all your hard work, I really enjoy using SCANSat; SQUAD would've done well had they contracted you to do KerbNet...

I noticed that you are using the new Unity 5 UI, do you by chance have any links or tutorials on how it's done? I have some screens that I want to do with the new GUI system. :)

@JadeOfMaar Waypoint selection is in, for the big map and the zoom map; see the last page for more on that.

@Angel-125 ... KerbNet is okay, I guess, it's the sort of halfway-implementation of a popular feature that I expect from Squad; the nearly instant map generation is nice, even if it sacrifices some accuracy to do it, but the UI is horrible. It's just loaded with wasted space (why do I need to always see the waypoint controls all of the time?), controls that are either too big (the stuff at the bottom), or too small (those indecipherable buttons along the top), and for some reason that I can't fathom, eschews the standard KSP-style UI elements and uses the standard Unity UI style for the slider and input field; I can't figure that out, those elements are used elsewhere, so it makes no sense not to use the matching styling there.

There is also the popup dialog system, which is nice for simple windows, but, really I think it's not worth fighting that system for anything more complicated than a simple, static set of buttons or labels. The Unity UI system seems complex, but's it's not really that bad. And once you figure it out you can make it do whatever you want. I plan on updating the UI tutorial with some of the things used for SCANsat (double-click buttons, more text customization, and some other random things).

One thing I've noticed with 17.2, is when first opening the zoom map from the big map of a non-kerbin planet, the mouseover biome readout shows kerbin biomes.

Eg: go into a ship around eve, open big map, display eve map, right click on a point to show zoom map, and mouse over the zoom map, see kerbin biomes.

Very excited about this...am making a test instance tonight.

Not sure if you are taking feature requests yet, but have you considered functionality to pick flat landing sites, either within a biome or a specified rectangle?  I've been setting the color slider down to the minimum in the old version, and setting mouse speed to really slow, trying to get a <.5% slope for bases.  Or, maybe just allowing really small slope settings in the zoom window to be set to a different color.

Thanks

Maybe a colour gradient curve adjustment, so you can set it to shift colour rapidly in the 0-1% range for showing flat areas in the slope map?

And it could even be handy for the biome maps, if you could get it to do more obviously different colours for different biomes that would be awesome.

Another idea I had for a feature was to be able to set the zoom bioime map to have white borders, while keeping white borders off on the big map. Sometimes all the white borders on the big map just blend into a big mess, but it's really handy on the zoom map.

Version 17.3 is out; get it on GitHub.

This version fixes several bugs, implements the planetary overlay map tooltips, fixes the BTDT anomaly window function of the instruments window (needs testing on non-windows platforms; see the bottom of this post for more info), and fixes a long-standing issue where scanning width did not take latitude into account.

Unimplemented or Unfinished Features:

Other:

• MechJeb integration disabled

Known bugs:

Major:

• Some odd behavior may be observed when planetary overlay maps are left on when switching vessels or scenes
  • Always manually turn off overlay maps
  • Toggling any overlay map on and off should fix any problems (usually text that becomes unreadable)

Minor:

• Some UI sychronization errors
  • Changes in some settings will require toggling a window off and on again before taking effect

Not a bug:

• Existing settings will mostly be reset (scanning data is maintained)
  • Reverting to SCANsat v16.x or earlier will result in loss of scanning data

Change Log:

• Implement BTDT scanner readout
  • Implement planetary overlay map tooltips
  • Scan width properly accounts for latitude
  • Add a flashing waypoint icon when selecting waypoint site
  • Add a separate option for zoom map (and RPM map) biome borders
  • Fix instruments window resource selection buttons
  • Fix scanning data reset button text
  • Fix error in big map equatorial crossing lines
  • Fix bug in zoom map sychronization
  • Various UI updates

A long-standing issue with SCANsat is that it didn't take latitude into account when determining scanning width, this resulted in reduced scan width at high latitudes.

These pictures show the difference. Here is version 16:

m2RZCVk.png

In the rectangular map the scan width remains constant, which should not be the case.

Here is version 17.3:

OswSj1j.png

The rectangular map scanning now looks distorted, as it should, since the map itself is distorted. And the polar map shows even scan width over the poles (you do still get some weird looking artifacts directly around the poles).

This also has the side-effect of making the ground-track scanning indicators show a more accurate scanning width:

09LShqT.png

The planetary map tooltips now function when the Overlay window is open, the map is on, and the mouse is over the planet:

ZGmeXq1.png

Other Unity 4.6 UI elements, as well as things like map icons, will block the tooltip. Old GUI windows will not, so if you notice the tooltips showing when the mouse is over another window feel free to pester those mod authors about fixing their UI.

The BTDT scanner window has been fixed:

GnJ3U4E.png

I'll need some help testing this with non-Windows platforms. There were some changes made in Unity 5.4 that broke how some shaders work, and now they require being exported from Unity with specific instructions for each platform. So if people running on MacOS, Linux, or Windows when using OpenGL could try this out it would help. To make things easier I've disabled the need to scan for anomalies from orbit for this window to work. All that's needed is to put a BTDT on a vessel, go to the launch pad, open the Instruments window, and turn on the BTDT. If this screen shows up (use the mouse wheel when hovering over the window to change which building is shown) then it works, if everything is pink then it doesn't.

@Gilph and @Rodger Don't be fooled into thinking that the slope map represents an accurate indication of terrain slope, it does not. It's more of an approximate suggestion of slope.

When zoomed in very far (>100X) it can be useful, but at lower zoom levels, or on the big map, the unreliable calculation method and the scale of the pixels makes it not very valuable.

The slope value indicated in the info below when the mouse is over the map (or in the instruments window) is different. It is a very local, much more accurate slope value. It takes the location at the center of the pixel and calculates the slope based on a 5m grid of terrain elevations. But when the pixels can cover a 100s of meters to a few kilometers that doesn't help much. Outside of Minmus I'm not sure that there is any good solution that doesn't involve sending a probe or rover to check out the area first.

Edited by DMagic

@Rodger Is the BTDT on (that version has a separate on button for the SCANsat function)? Maybe try using the standard version.

If it is on it should show "KSC" instead of "Unknown Anomaly" and it should show the image, even if the shaders are broken.