[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

I want to use the SCANUtil.getData() in the current pre-release. That method wants a CelestialBody as an argument, just to read the name from it.

How to I get a list of known CelestialBody objects?

CelestialBody body = new CelestialBody ();
body.bodyName = "Kerbin";

always gives me a null object. Interestingly, the second line does not fail, even if I would have expected a NRE... :huh:

Full source is at https://github.com/entchen/SCANsat-Notebook/blob/master/source/SCANsat-Notebook/NotebookController.cs , starting from line 33 onwards...

Edited by hakan
Given link to full source

Went from 8b? To this 9 and now my fairings fall off on the launch pad, the camera seems to loose the center of mass so it looks at the smoke cloud and not the body of craft.

I also can't get anything as far a karbinite to show up on the scan. The scanner givers the % as it goes around but the map it self never shows anything but gray. Any ideas? I'm not sure what files you want with this

How to I get a list of known CelestialBody objects?

FlightGlobals.Bodies

I'm not sure exactly what would happen if tried to access that in the editor though. In general celestial bodies (and vessels I think) aren't loaded while you are in the editor scene.

SCANsat V9rc5 is up on GitHub

The most notable user-end updates are the addition of a stock app launcher button and a slope indicator on the instruments window.

The app launcher button activates the small map, which can then be used to access any other window; it activates the KSC map when not in the flight scene. It can be enabled or disabled through the settings window, enabling the button won't disable the other toolbar buttons. If this is disabled and blizzy78's toolbar is not installed you can still open the small map by starting a scan with any SCANsat instrument.

There are also some changes to how the big map longitude/latitude grid is drawn. A simple line rendering method is used instead of the memory hogging texture method used before.

Improvements to the big map terrain data caching reduce memory usage and improve the rendering speed when switching between different map projections.

Also check the GitHub documentation for extensive tutorials and updated information on all of the SCANsat windows and functions.

Version 9.5 - 2015-1-23
------------------------

- Significant internal code changes; any addons with hard-depencies on SCANsat will likely need updating
- Public read-only properties added for most fields

- Stock app launcher support added
- A single toolbar button opens/closes the small map
- Can be disabled through the settings menu
- When Blizzy's toolbar and the stock toolbar are disabled the small map can be opened by starting a scan with any SCANsat instrument

- Improvements to big map terrain data caching
- Reduces memory used by the big map by 40%
- A single cache used for each map projection type
- Improves big map generation speed when switching projection types

- Big map grid texture replaced by line rendering method
- Further reduces big map memory usage

- Localized slope indicator added to the instrument window
- Slope calculated based on a 3X3 grid centered 5m around the vessel's location
- Altitude indicator displays the correct height above the terrain while under timewarp

- Exported maps saved to GameData/SCANsat/PluginData folder

- New science results text added
- Thanks Olympic1

- Uranium resource type changed to Uraninite

Anyone finding any bugs here? Any new bugs in particular.

I'm trying to push this out to the main release so that we can get rid of this dev build confusion. If there aren't any pressing problems I'll try to get it out in a day or so.

Is it possible to scan kerbol?

Yes, it is possible. It requires insane amounts of dV to get into a low enough orbit (at least without altering the scanners) and you would be below the timewarp altitude for the sun. But with enough time scanning in the background you could do it. The science you get would be pretty high since the sun has an unreasonably high science multiplier, but SCANsat halves the science values for bodies without terrain or biomes.

Some kind of dedicated solar scanner would indeed be very neat, or maybe just a different scanner type that would also work with bodies like the sun or Jool, but I'm not sure what you would display on the map. It would basically require either showing the body's texture or making something up to display, like magnetic fields.

very minor issue I just noticed. In the tracking station if you hover over an opened map window the camera will start to pan ever so slowly, snap back to where it was once you mouse off the window. This movement is exacerbated in time warp which was how I noticed it.

very minor issue I just noticed. In the tracking station if you hover over an opened map window the camera will start to pan ever so slowly, snap back to where it was once you mouse off the window. This movement is exacerbated in time warp which was how I noticed it.

Thanks. There is some weirdness with the control locks in the space center and tracking station. I fixed this issue with tracking station; it means that the camera controls are no longer locked out when the mouse is over the window, but that's really only an issue when selecting planets from the drop down menu with the mouse wheel. There is also an issue in the space center scene where keeping the mouse over the window prevents timewarp. I'm not really sure if that can be fixed, at least not while locking out the controls for entering buildings...

I also fixed an error preventing the settings window from opening in the tracking station while I was at it.

There is also an issue in the space center scene where keeping the mouse over the window prevents timewarp. I'm not really sure if that can be fixed, at least not while locking out the controls for entering buildings...

I don't think it can be fixed - I've noticed the same timewarp prevention when mousing over the KAC window. I did bring the issue up with Trigger back in October, but was told that "there's no lock model that will stop click through and run the clock in there".

Um, I grabbed the latest version of this and 0.5.2 of Karbonite, but I can't see the karbonite resource overlay, in fact, the resource button doesn't even show up. Any ideas why I can't view the karbonite stuff?

I've noticed this with MechJeb, it may be a stock problem, no idea.

Um, I grabbed the latest version of this and 0.5.2 of Karbonite, but I can't see the karbonite resource overlay, in fact, the resource button doesn't even show up. Any ideas why I can't view the karbonite stuff?

same problem here.

Yeah I broke stuff

Fixing up the legacy method for DMagic's use, but also need to sort out if we want to have biome discovery on by default for SCANSat (it is on by default for everything else). More info on that in the Karbonite thread right now.

Some kind of dedicated solar scanner would indeed be very neat, or maybe just a different scanner type that would also work with bodies like the sun or Jool, but I'm not sure what you would display on the map. It would basically require either showing the body's texture or making something up to display, like magnetic fields.

Would a hydrogen telescope work on gas giants?

I also installed and used the new Dev version without any issues.

Edited by Tommygun