[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

Oh right, I'm so used to Dmagic parts that I forgot it wasn't the vanilla one lol. Also the vanilla parts might need some more editor search tags, 'BTDT' didn't find the vanilla scanner.

But it is working for me now, though I don't know how to look at structures other than what it first shows, I just see the monolith at KSC. It says it found 14 structures, but I just don't know how to look at the different ones.

EDIT: I worked out how to switch between them from reading the readme on git. But maybe just some buttons would be good? or even a mouseover tooltip?

Edited by Rodger

Version 17.4 is out; get it on GitHub.

This version implements MechJeb integration (built against version #687), implements biome map legends and legend tooltips, offers more map generation speed options, and fixes some error related to overlay maps.

Known bugs:

Minor:

• Some UI sychronization errors
  • Changes in some settings will require toggling a window off and on again before taking effect

Not a bug:

• Existing settings will mostly be reset (scanning data is maintained)
  • Reverting to SCANsat v16.x or earlier will result in loss of scanning data

Change Log:

Implement MechJeb landing guidance integration

• Set MechJeb landing target using the waypoint selection function
  • Limited ability to load landing targets

Implement biome map legend

Implement map legend tooltips

• Shows terrain altitude or biome info for current mouse position over legend

Add more map generation speed controls

• Three levels available
  • Effect differs depending on map type

• Fix error with zoom map legend
  • Fix bugs related to planetary overlay maps
  • Fix bug when refreshing zoom map and locked to the current vessel
  • Fix floating point error in resource maps
  • Various minor fixes

MechJeb integration works through the waypoint selection toolbar:

jAukoaM.png

This is only available if the current vessel has a MechJeb core with the right upgrades. Just push the MJ button after placing the waypoint, it will then be converted into the MechJeb landing target. This works on the big map and the zoom map.

The same works in reverse; select a landing site with MechJeb and it will show up on the SCANsat maps.

There is also a limited ability to load a saved landing site and set it in MechJeb. This only works when in flight and when the vessel you are loading has the MechJeb core, otherwise the landing target will be deleted.

Some settings have been added:

i2dLPOf.png

The two MechJeb settings will be available if MechJeb is installed. There is also an option for legend tooltips and more map generation speed options.

When set at one all maps will update one row per frame. When set at two all maps will update two rows per frame. When set at three the small map will still update twice per frame, the big map will update three times, and the zoom map will update four times.

Terrain legend tooltips:

dVa6gPS.png

Biome legend:

hpgpdT2.png

The tooltip shows the name of the biome that the mouse is hovering over. For the zoom map the legend does a quick scan of the area covered and only shows the biomes present.

Edited by DMagic

Hi,

One question, I would like to put a target in a specific place in order to help the landing. But I don't want to use MechJet. Is that possible?

I found this:

7b. Target Selection

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f49

The zoom map features an option to select and display a target site for each planet. Toggle Target Selection Mode by clicking on the target icon in the upper left, then select a sight in the zoom map window. The icon will be displayed, along with standard, FinePrint waypoints, in the zoom window and the big map.

While in map view the target site will be overlayed on the planet's surface; shown as a matching, four-arrow green icon.

To clear an existing target, activate Target Selection Mode by clicking the target icon, then click somewhere inside of the zoom map window, but outside of the map itself.

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f59

@Redan The GitHub and KSPedia documentation is out of date. Instructions for creating stock waypoints can be found in some of the posts in the last few pages.

@Rodger I noticed that. I'm not entirely sure why it happens, but I think I just need to move everything a different UI canvas. The one used by a lot of the stock windows (experiment results, flag panel, etc...) is probably best.

Version 17.5 is out; get it on GitHub.

This update implements a day/night map terminator overlay for all maps, it can be toggled on and off using the new sun and moon icon. It also implements better map fill and reset functions, with the option to choose specific data types. There are also various UI updates and fixes, including some draw order problems with the NavBall, and several UI synchronization problems.

This version should be relatively stable and will likely be the last update before the KSP 1.3 pre-release. Just be aware that, as before, this is a one-way update, reverting to SCANsat version 16.x will result in a loss of scanning data.

Change Log:

• Implement day/night map terminator overlays for all maps
    • Toggled with a new icon showing a sun and moon
    • Shows the sun coverage at the time of map reset
  • Implement map fill cheat options
    • Allow for selecting specific data types to fill in
    • Data types apply to map reset as well
    • Must set "CheatMapFill = True" in the settings file
  • Fix some UI draw order problems with the NavBall
  • Fix a potential error that would prevent the big map from closing
  • Fix various UI update and synchronization problems
  • Various minor UI updates

The day night terminator shows the regions of the surface in darkness and in the light:

Jr5l6NG.png

2nhZ8B6.png

It isn't actually a fully accurate representation, since that would more-or-less just be a straight line for all planets in an equatorial solar orbit (ie just about all of them). The method I'm using doesn't actually work with meridian lines, so the overlays are fudged just a little bit, though I think this looks better, too. For higher inclination planets, like Moho, the overlay will be accurate.

The position of the sun is updated whenever the map is reset, which is manually done for the big map and zoom map, and is done whenever the red line resets for the small map.

More fine-grained options are available for map reset and fill functions:

tZ6vige.png

The data type selection applies to both map reset and map fill. To activate the map fill option you have to set the CheatMapFill line to true in the settings file (found in the SCANsat/PluginData folder; the file will only be generated after KSP is started once).

11 hours ago, DMagic said:

It isn't actually a fully accurate representation, since that would more-or-less just be a straight line for all planets in an equatorial solar orbit (ie just about all of them). The method I'm using doesn't actually work with meridian lines, so the overlays are fudged just a little bit, though I think this looks better, too. For higher inclination planets, like Moho, the overlay will be accurate.

OMG you finally did it! I'll dig through the source this weekend to get a better idea of what you're doing. Currently my system is pretty straight-forward as I only need it for Kerbin at this time but would love to have something I can use properly with the other planets in the future

I tried version 17.5  using an existing game last saved using ScanSat 16.11, and agree that 17.5 looks very nice.

[Bug]: In the Settings window, every time I enter the Background Scanning tab, all celestial bodies are shown as selected, even though I had deselected some.  Toggling background scanning for individual celestial bodies still functions correctly, and is saved in the .sfs savefile; only the UI indications are wrong.

Looking at the SCANcontroller section in the save-file, it occurs to me that maybe you could integrate ScanSat into the new Commnet feature by storing mapping progress individually for each scanner, merging that map into the celestial body map if there is some Commnet connection to Kerbin when we use the "transmit data" action on the scanning device -- the mechanism Orbital Survey Plus seems to use.

That would seem logically consistent with the Commnet model of communication, but not many people would opt for extra clicking.  Alternatively, maybe each refresh of a ScanSat map window could merge maps from all Commnet-connected active scanners in the SoI of the body shown in that map window. 
After thinking about this, though, I like ScanSat just as it is.

@Drew Kerman You can check the code here and here. Everything is handled while the map is being drawn; it basically just draws a line across the map and checks if the current pixel's latitude is above or below that line.

@OHara The background scanning tab should be fixed in the next version. I just forgot to implement that, so they were always initializing with the toggles set to true.

As for CommNet, I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to handle it and I think that some of the core components of SCANsat just aren't compatible with the kind of integration that makes sense to me. Any kind of real-time connection-status check simply doesn't work at moderate time warp levels. You would end up with some segments of the planet scanned when the satellite should be out of connection, and vice versa, since the scanning mechanism relies on orbital math, not the actual vessel position. 

Something like what you suggest would probably work, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the data management headache and the bloating of the save file that would follow. And in any event I really don't like the idea of disrupting the way that maps instantly update. Despite seeing it happen probably thousands of times I still really like watching a map being built from three or four different satellites at the same time.

I think the basic idea, scanning satellite having some kind of local storage that needs to be synced with the master record somehow, would work fine. But the end-result would, in most cases, probably be basically the same as how things are now, or would require something that breaks up the map building process, like going through to each vessel and transmitting data.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

You can check the code here and here. Everything is handled while the map is being drawn; it basically just draws a line across the map and checks if the current pixel's latitude is above or below that line.

Ah yes, thanks - never got around to doing anything with the code review I did on the night I posted last :P That's what it looked to me like you were doing, so my hope is that I can work these same derivations into my code and actually plot the terminator line as points of a polygon, since that's what I use to shade the nightside area of the map. Just have to find some time to do it...

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is due to scansat or DmagicOS or something else, but there's some weirdness with an anomaly on Moho, I think what's meant to be the Mohole. Firstly the map marker shows up around the south pole instead of the north, though you get the 'Anomaly: Mohole' mouseover readout next to the co-ords when you mouse over the top edge of the map. But then when you travel to the mohole the DmagicOS anomaly scanner experiment doesn't see anything (even all the way down the bottom of the hole). The scanner also doesn't see anything at the south pole.

A1FZjyg.png

(I successfully scanned the monolith anomaly scanner experiment too)

So quick question, just installed this mod and wanted to try it out, and ran into a small problem right off the bat, I don't know if it's a bug, or just me being a numpty. Has anyone run into an issue with the big map not going away? I tried clicking the little x in the corner, I tried clicking the big map icon in the toolbar, that just opened a second big map, and the windows wouldn't close even as I was exiting the game. I am using the latest versions as far as I'm aware.

mnlI2Wb.jpg

@Rodger It looks like it's wrapping the map around the bottom so that the North Pole shows up there. What happens if you change the map projection type? Or if you change the map size?

The anomaly scanner from DMOS doesn't pick up the new types of anomalies (Mohole, Kerbin ground stations).

@vardicd Use the latest version:

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an idea for a little feature I'd really love: a button on the big map to set it to the current SOI planet, instead of using the list. When using a planet pack the list can get quite long and hard to find the planet you want. The button could even be on the small map, to 'view on big map' or something.

And re the mohole anomaly, last few times I've checked, the anomaly has been at the north pole properly. But I'll try the different projections/resizing it it I notice it again.

@Rodger That's a good idea.

The simplest way to handle it would be a to re-order the list so that the current planet is always at the top. I need to re-order the list anyway to make it show the planets in order from inner to outer and to group moons together with their parent planet. 

A separate button might also work, too.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Any difference between this version of scansat (17.5) and the version of scansat on CKAN here?

Yes, CKAN doesn't index pre-releases and every v17.x is one. We don't make these available to prevent possible bugs of dev version.

Wanted to report a possible bug in 17.5 running on 1.2.2. On the zoom window, the resources button does not do anything - I can select resources, but they never show and the mouse-over does not report the resource value below the cursor. Works as expected on the big map.