[KSP 1.8.1] SCANsat [v19.1] -- Dev version [February 20, 2020]

DMagic

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to do something to the tick marks that indicate when you will cross the equator to make it clear which of them are for the next few orbits and which are in a dozen orbits time perhaps fade the colour or alter the size?

Or perhaps vary how many are displayed.

My current Mun mapping is showing lots of ticks all very evenly and finely spaced but I can't trell if subsequent orbits are going to be overlapping with places I have already scanned while there are still big areas that haven't been scanned at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 13.1 is out; get it on GitHub.

This version is really only for testing, commenting, suggesting, etc... at the moment.

It features a replacement for the stock resource scanning mechanism. Settings are provided to disable to stock resource scanning and use SCANsat instead.

Resource scanning functions mostly as before; the primary differences are:

• The M700 (clamshell) scanner functions as a low-resolution scanner for all resources
    • All resource concentration values are rounded off to the nearest whole number for low resolutions scans

[*] Narrow-band scanners are used for high resolution scans of each individual resource

• Module Manager configs are included to add such scanners to the required parts

A new planetary overlay control window has been added to control the display of resource maps and biome maps. These maps are dependent upon SCANsat coverage and working mostly the same as stock resource overlays. A new resource settings window has also been added to control resource options and to adjust planetary overlay map quality.

See the first post for more details and a complete change log.

Where's the option to disable stock scanning at?

screenshot17_zpsckx9x0vh.png

The map is blank because I reset all data myself since I wanted to check out the new features. I know I didn't neccesarily have to, but I only had Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus anyway (and the data for the sun got triggered somehow).

Edit: nvm, silly me, it's in the resource options tab.

Edited by smjjames

Where's the option to disable stock scanning at?

I guess I forgot to add it to the space center scene. :sticktongue:

I also noticed that the SCANsat resource abundance readout module reads altitude above sea level, not above terrain when determining if the scanner is above its max altitude.

Okay, I had something really odd happen. First, several minutes ago (like five or ten), I saw these exceptions appear (one for each instrument on the ship) when I returned to my ship that was apparently in the middle of transmitting data when I left it.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ResourceCache+AbundanceSummary].Add (System.String key, .AbundanceSummary value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[AbundanceSummary,String,AbundanceSummary] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[AbundanceSummary,String,AbundanceSummary] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 keySelector, System.Func`2 elementSelector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SCANsat.SCAN_PartModules.SCANresourceDisplay.refreshAbundance (Int32 bodyID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SCANsat.SCAN_PartModules.SCANresourceDisplay.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Output log:http://sta.sh/01x9ks6bh3fm

I took no notice of it and thought it was just a minor error, but then a few min ago I noticed the instruments displaying strangely. I'm in orbit of Tylo btw.

screenshot29_zpsza7pte3j.png

I tried going to KSC and back, didn't work, going to KSP main menu and reloading save, didn't work, restarting KSP didn't work either. What the heck broke with this craft?..... Checking another craft though.

Edit: Okay, an identical craft launched from Kerbin has it's scanners working fine.

Edit2: As for tne ship at Tylo, the scanning is actually still working, it's just the data display that broke somehow. At least I think.

Edit3: Dammit, since I had 'ignore max temps' on, that wierd heat pulse pushed the reactor into what would normally be meltdown and explosion. I tried using hyperedit to refill the reactor, but it's still in the 'meltdown and wants to explode' state.

Edit4: When I went into SoI of Tylo (passing through), the exception happened again, strange, very strange........

I swear that a Kraken is hiding out there.....

Edit5: Back in SoI of Jool, they're still broken.

Edited by smjjames

Okay, I had something really odd happen. First, several minutes ago (like five or ten), I saw these exceptions appear (one for each instrument on the ship) when I returned to my ship that was apparently in the middle of transmitting data when I left it.

That would be a side-effect of the odd decision to add three biomes to Tylo with the same name. :confused:

It should be easy enough to filter out situations like that.

That would be a side-effect of the odd decision to add three biomes to Tylo with the same name. :confused:

It should be easy enough to filter out situations like that.

That's the first time I've run into that issue though.

That's the first time I've run into that issue though.

That's because it's unlikely that anything else is creating a dictionary using biome names as a key without first checking if the key is already present in said dictionary. It's not something that's likely to come up very often.

Actually, it doesn't look like the sampler is working at all, I'm not getting the variation shown within the biome. Need to sample more biomes first though.

I'm running into an issue where the portable sample kit says that it's too high to read the amount when landed (I don't have Karbonite+, so I simply don't have karborundrum).

screenshot32_zps3ikyctvr.png

Even when the instrument is literally touching the ground....

screenshot31_zps2f617pbm.png

Edit2: Okay, I tested in a branchoff save and it's purely a SCANsat problem, still doing a bit more investigation though.

Edit3: With Stock resource scanning enabled, the karbonite surface scanner works fine, but with Stock resource scanning disabled, it doesn't.

Edited by smjjames

Uh, now it's not even SEEING the karbonite. I have stock scanning enabled and I already scanned Moho. According to the SCANsat big map and overlay, there is some karbonite at that location.

Edit: The line for surface karbonite in the orbital karbonite survey scanner is gone too.

screenshot33_zpszwzzmssk.png

Edited by smjjames

I love the improvements you've made to the mod since the last time I used it, but I see the Slope map is still pretty much as unusable as previously.

Why not display the slope as a coloured gradient, just as the altimetry map is, where say zero slope is blue, through green, yellow, red, purple etc to 90 degrees? Preferably with more colour variation in the lower slope ranges so it's easier to spot nice flat areas for landing.

Uh, now it's not even SEEING the karbonite. I have stock scanning enabled and I already scanned Moho. According to the SCANsat big map and overlay, there is some karbonite at that location.

Edit: The line for surface karbonite in the orbital karbonite survey scanner is gone too.

There are several issues with the resource abundance display modules. Some are exacerbated by scanning parts that don't have an animation; parts with an animation can usually be reset by cycling through deploy/retract, the others need a reload.

These are really only issues when toggling between stock and SCANsat scanning modes. It's best to choose one mode and stick with it.

I love the improvements you've made to the mod since the last time I used it, but I see the Slope map is still pretty much as unusable as previously.

Why not display the slope as a coloured gradient, just as the altimetry map is, where say zero slope is blue, through green, yellow, red, purple etc to 90 degrees? Preferably with more colour variation in the lower slope ranges so it's easier to spot nice flat areas for landing.

The slope map is not useless because of the colors, it's useless because it doesn't provide anything resembling a true slope value for any given location, and because the scale of the map is no where near small enough to provide useful information.

I'm going to revert to 12.1 temporarily to see how it is. Also, the orbital karbonite scanner has an ongoing animation, you can't stop or start it, while the portable karbonite sample lab doesn't have an animation.

A revert to 12.1 doesn't fix it. Trying to turn on and off the karbonite scanner doesn't fix it either.....

Launching a new ship and then going to the bugged one doesn't fix the bugged one either....

It works fine for Kerbin. Sending a new survey ship with just the karbonite instrument in an attempt to fix it.

Edit: Retoggling disable stock survey fixes it, though the portable scanner still says too high.

Edit2: Still not showing the regional variance, the numbers aren't anyway.

You've got a big memoryleak problem with the overlay. If you toggle the overlay multiple times (especially the biome overlay), it causes the memory usage to keep going up. Actually, I'm not sure if it's a memoryleak on KSPs side or SCANsats side, but it's a memoryleak all right.

Edit: Switching craft while having the overlay up also seems to cause a memory leak.

Edited by smjjames

Version 13.2 is out; get it on GitHub.

It fixes the memory problems with the overlay maps, fixes several resource abundance scanner problems, fixes zoom map resource overlays, and fixes Tylo's biome name problem.

Karbonite portable sampler still says too high.

screenshot16_zpsipxfgyr9.png

Also trying to investigate why the karbonite scanner isn't actually doing biome sampling for karbonite and showing regional variation for that. RoverDude says I'm supposed to use the stock scanner instead of scansat or something, but I have been doing biome sampling and the rest of them are showing regional variation. So, I'm not convinced he gets what the problem is.

Edit: It may actually be a SCANsat problem rather than a Karbonite problem.

Edited by smjjames

Karbonite portable sampler still says too high.

I see the problem. I need to be checking if the vessel is landed for these cases where the max altitude is set to 1 or 0 like the Karbonite Sampler (the SCANsat module takes its values from the stock resource scanner config for each part, so you can change the value in the Karbonite sampler config to 10 or so, and SCANsat will also use that value).

Also trying to investigate why the karbonite scanner isn't actually doing biome sampling for karbonite and showing regional variation for that. RoverDude says I'm supposed to use the stock scanner instead of scansat or something, but I have been doing biome sampling and the rest of them are showing regional variation. So, I'm not convinced he gets what the problem is.

Edit: It may actually be a SCANsat problem rather than a Karbonite problem.

As for the Karbonite variance, I've noticed the same thing many times. The basic biome scanning seems to work; without biome scans you get the average values for each biome, after scanning you get the true value, which is different from the average but displays no noticeable variance. I just tested this out more thoroughly on the Mun (Kerbin isn't supposed to have variance so it's not a good test) and saw the same thing. Both SCANsat and stock resource modules displayed exactly the same values for Karbonite and Ore, and the narrow-band scanner camera also showed the same values.

It doesn't have anything to do with SCANsat resource scanning. But just to be sure, have you tried Karbonite scans without SCANsat at all? I can try it out at some point just to rule it out.

The only difference I see in the Karbonite resource config is the lack of the "Dispersal" field in the global Karbonite planetary definition.

Edit: And wouldn't you know, add in Dispersal = 3 to the global Karbonite resource definition (for ResourceType = 0, the planetary type) and you get this, with lots of variation:

JuGRY0a.png

Instead of this, with no biome variation:

zANMxzO.png

Edited by DMagic

Version 13.3 is out; get it on GitHub.

This version introduces a new modified zoom map meant to replace the stock, narrow-band scanner's ModuleHiDefCamera window. The terrain map is slightly lower quality, but much faster to render than the standard zoom map. You can also select which resource to display directly on the zoom map (this applies to the standard zoom map as well).

There is also a new terrain planetary overlay and a new background terrain database loader to go along with it. When you start a new KSP session it reads each planet that you have scanned for terrain data and stores it. This is used to generate both the small map and the planetary overlay; the impact on performance while it is loading appears to be negligible, but makes map generation much faster; the big map is unaffected.

There are also several improvements to the planetary overlays, tooltips when mousing over the planet in map mode, a resource indicator on the instruments window, and several minor bug fixes. See the first post for the complete change log and details.