What's that Crawlerway for?

Moesly_Armlis

Does this mean once vehicles are constructed will they have to be carefully

out to the launch pad and maybe, by kerbal, with failure? Probably will take some time and resources too. What will the crawler look like? Who gets to drive? Did Bill leave the lights on again? Now how we gonna bump start this thing?

Time to move this behemoth out of the VAB. Give'er Bob at maximum speed (1.6 kph), now let's crawl through the crawlerway .

(just say no to drm) the Crawlerway, the extra D is for a double dose of damage. That is, maybe a vehicle is just under crawlerway weight limit specifications, butterfly lands on left nosecone, vehicle unstable now and tips on egress of VAB. There goes both costly Vehicle and costly VAB.

It wouldn't be a steerable crawler anyway; it seems to run on rails, by the looks of it. I'm thinking maybe there will be a "time lapse" cinematic of driving your ship to the pad at some point, maybe with the option of seeing it in real time if you're so inclined. Maybe you'll have the option of taxiing your planes out of the hangar in a similar way.

If it was cut-scene-esque, that would add some nice atmosphere. Would probably be a big chunk of work though.

If it was cut-scene-esque, I'd watch it a few times at most before turning it off, no matter how good-looking it is and how much work went into it.

I will put it in the same realm of

"It happens cuse Kerbal, you don't get to see it"

The same way Kerbals just "use" airlocks, without an airlock

Or how they now can transfer between ANY part, even that tiny small strut.

Or how they can RECOVER ANYTHING FROM ANYWHERE! INSTANTLY! (KerbalEx)

Or how they learn how to make rocket parts from landing on the moon

Or where the live

and now, how they get rockets onto the pad. (Jeb carries them on his BACK!)

If it was cut-scene-esque, I'd watch it a few times at most before turning it off, no matter how good-looking it is and how much work went into it.

Would you? That's interesting. Others may/may not agree, so lets just let the idea spread.

It's there for breaking rovers. If your rover can't make it over the bumps of the crawlerway, then it's offically rubbish and won't last 2 minute on the mun.

Exactly! I always perform my road tests on the bumps.

And the launch pad is used for testing steep hill climbing ability.

It's there for breaking rovers. If your rover can't make it over the bumps of the crawlerway, then it's offically rubbish and won't last 2 minute on the mun.
Exactly! I always perform my road tests on the bumps.

And the launch pad is used for testing steep hill climbing ability.

These. I think, personally, most of the stuff around the launch area is a great place for stress testing your designs. Go max speed, bump over the railway, see what falls off. Fly your jets past the VAB and see if you can turn tight enough. Of course, now there's extra danger, which is awesome!

Nah, the crawlerway is for show. They actually use black magic to levitate the rockets to the pad.

They haven't figured out yet that they could use the same magic to go to space. Give it a few years

I bet, Kerbals use green magic...

I'd like to have the option to drive the rocket to the pad. It would be awesome for YouTubers and to celebrate those special mission launches. A crawler would be pretty cool.

I bet, Kerbals use green magic...

I'd like to have the option to drive the rocket to the pad. It would be awesome for YouTubers and to celebrate those special mission launches. A crawler would be pretty cool.

*Clicks Launch*

â—ÂTeleport to Launchpad

â—ÂCrawl to Launchpad

It wouldn't be a steerable crawler anyway; it seems to run on rails, by the looks of it. I'm thinking maybe there will be a "time lapse" cinematic of driving your ship to the pad at some point, maybe with the option of seeing it in real time if you're so inclined. Maybe you'll have the option of taxiing your planes out of the hangar in a similar way.

THIS. Awesome.

Loading up a video every time you click launch is too much. Instead, they could have pictures that display during the loading screens!

- Launching a rocket shows a rocket on a crawler, covered up by a tarp

- Launching a plane shows a shot of a runway Kerbal (the ones with the glow-sticks?)

- Loading the tracking station shows a mission-control like building with computers displaying loading screens :P

I thought that's what the grass berm between the runway and the admin building was for. I wrecked a mobile base there once (I reverted that though)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.