[1.7.3] Community Delta-V Map 2.7

Kowgan

• 2 months later...

@Kowgan:

First, I'd like to thank you for your ongoing work on this; I have a very battered copy of this map printed out and taped to the wall next to my monitor.  (Back in my day, we had to make our own KSPedia.  We also flew up the gravity well both ways, and only had one space suit--it was sleeveless!)

Second, I appreciate very much that you've included the return window cycle time on the map ... but unfortunately, I don't know how to use it.  Does the indicated time index to the arrival in the system, or to the beginning of the initial transfer?  In other words, let's say that I begin a transfer to Duna on Mission Day Zero.  Being a perfectly nominal transfer, I arrive at Duna in exactly 300 days as indicated by the transfer time on the map.  The return cycle gives a time of 2y 54d:  does this mean that my return window opens on Mission Day 2Y 54D, or on Mission Day 2Y 354D (2y 54d plus the 300 days of travel time)?

@Zhetaan I'm glad to be useful.

As indicated by the subtitles, the Return Window Cycle is a cycle. The 2y 54d is the average time it takes for a returning home window to open again, once closed. Basically it's the time it takes for Duna and Kerbin to be at the same position relative to each other and Kerbol, again. It's not giving you the exact time you need to wait before launching from Duna back to Kerbin (even though the nominal travel time is 300d, I simply didn't calculate usually how long it takes for a return window to open once we arrive at a planet using optimal window transfers, etc. Mainly because I don't know how long will each player intend to stay at a planet; They might want to stay more than just the time until the next return window).

I put this information there basically just for Life Support players, so they'll have a basis on how many supplies they should carry in a mission. But it can be an useful information in general, too.
Hope I've answered your question.

Edited by Kowgan

• 2 weeks later...

@jlcarneiro You're welcome. :)

The current KSPedia version should be reflecting the 1.2.1 version, which is currently the latest release. The link always remains the same.
If you want the latest devbuild for 1.2.2, you can find it on github. Although the only thing changed is the altitude suffix for Kerbin's Geosync altitude, as mentioned here.

@Voodoo8648 I'll put it into my to-do list. As you know, I'm also waiting for some data to start working on the latest KSS. Thanks for the heads up.
Edit: I didn't realize KSS and Kerbal Star System are the same thing. :confused:

Edited by Kowgan

Just now, Kowgan said:

@Voodoo8648 I'll put it into my to-do list. As you know, I'm also waiting for some data to start working on the latest KSS. Thanks for the heads up.

StarCrusher96 has replied to you several times asking for what specific information you need. He needs to know how to quickly find Pe and Pa.. Please check the private message: KSS Delta V map

We are all three in the active conversation.

5 minutes ago, Kowgan said:

If you don't have time to work on it, perhaps if you have a spreadsheet that you used to make your previous delta V maps, you could share the resource? KSS is kind of impractical without a Delta V Map (unless people want to cheat) :P

21 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

If you don't have time to work on it, perhaps if you have a spreadsheet that you used to make your previous delta V maps, you could share the resource? KSS is kind of impractical without a Delta V Map (unless people want to cheat) :P

I've replied the PMs.
All source available can be found at the Github page; link's in the OP. As for my methods (given that I only calculated in-atmosphere maneuvers), all I did was executing the dull and tiresome job of flying different ship designs several times at each body, landing and taking off (including Jool, oh boy), then writing the results on a long gone notepad file. :S

I don't have any source on the original Misucat OPM map, though. You'd have to ask him for his calculations.

IIRC, all  that Swashlebucky did was redesigning the map; though I'm not sure which numbers were updated, and how he did it.

Edited by Kowgan
added info about my methods

3 hours ago, Kowgan said:

I've replied the PMs.
All source available can be found at the Github page; link's in the OP. As for my methods (given that I only calculated in-atmosphere maneuvers), all I did was executing the dull and tiresome job of flying different ship designs several times at each body, landing and taking off (including Jool, oh boy), then writing the results on a long gone notepad file. :S

I don't have any source on the original Misucat OPM map, though. You'd have to ask him for his calculations.

IIRC, all  that Swashlebucky did was redesigning the map; though I'm not sure which numbers were updated, and how he did it.

WOW! Thats a lot of work!!!!! :confused: I didn't know you had to manually fly to all the bodies. I thought you were running calculations or something.

6 hours ago, Kowgan said:

@jlcarneiro You're welcome. :)

The current KSPedia version should be reflecting the 1.2.1 version, which is currently the latest release. The link always remains the same.
If you want the latest devbuild for 1.2.2, you can find it on github. Although the only thing changed is the altitude suffix for Kerbin's Geosync altitude, as mentioned here.

I think @AlexSheFF's version is from before the 1.2.1 one, isn't it? It doesn't include those antenna info...

6 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

WOW! Thats a lot of work!!!!! :confused: I didn't know you had to manually fly to all the bodies. I thought you were running calculations or something.

I'm sure you can calculate it all from a cozy chair at the Tracking Center when it's about in-vacuum maneuvers. But as we all know, KSP's aerodynamics can really mess one's calculations. So - be amazed - Doing it manually is actually easier in terms of accuracy. At least for me.
Also, Hyperedit is a must if you wanna do that.

4 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

I think @AlexSheFF's version is from before the 1.2.1 one, isn't it? It doesn't include those antenna info...

My fork (link at the OP) has the current version. And AlexSheFF's version wasn't ommited; it can be found as the main link on the github page itself. :)

Edited by Kowgan

On 2017-4-29 at 9:59 PM, Kowgan said:

My fork (link at the OP) has the current version. And AlexSheFF's version wasn't ommited; it can be found as the main link on the github page itself. :)

I'm terribly sorry and I feel kind of dumb, but I couldn't find the link to your fork on the OP and the development branch on Github has only a .svg file.

I give up: what am I overlooking? :blush:

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 5:53 PM, grylliade said:

I’ve created an updated version for the Outer Planets Mod, if anyone’s interested. There are almost certainly some errors, but it's at least a start.

Kerbol System ∆v Map—White Background

Kerbol System ∆v Map—Black Background

these are absolutely gorgeous!  do you have a vector version available?

Thank you for your quick reply and all of you for this nice piece of work. I just donwloaded the version you linked me. I just thought they're not the same because in the one at your github you can see commnet stats too.

Thanks for the info again, I was misslead by the picture in the post I guess.

Checked it and it's perfect. This and planetwiki are the most usefull things you can get these days.

You could get it listed here

I didn't see it there and finding this "glorious little piece of work" was just 100% random, it's hidden pretty well. I googled "Ksp mods using kspedia" because I was interrested and I had to go through a reddid thread to get to this thread and find the link in the comments.

Maybe I did something wrong but for me it was hard to find.

• 1 month later...

@JonathanDahlq Aye, it does. The values are mostly the same to go out or come back. Except you probably won't need to use any engines to land on Duna (or maybe a little bit depending on your design, due to its thin atmosphere. The same goes for returning to Kerbin.

14 hours ago, Kowgan said:

@JonathanDahlq Aye, it does. The values are mostly the same to go out or come back. Except you probably won't need to use any engines to land on Duna (or maybe a little bit depending on your design, due to its thin atmosphere. The same goes for returning to Kerbin.

Alright, thanks a lot for this map. I wouldn't survive without it XD

First off, great map. I (re-)found it when my previous link (which was quite old) stopped working.

I note you have Minmus listed as L1C1 for antennas. I just lost control of a probe (Not due to the map. I didn't notice the numbers before) because it only had the basic Communitron-16 antenna, the moment it entered Minmus' SOI.

Or is that not a T1 antenna? The wiki lists it as one but a) Wikis are known to be wrong and b) I don't actually know what the tiers are and what they represent, except "bigger = better."

Edited by 5thHorseman
Seems I've posted here before, so I've obviously found the map before :D