[1.7.3] Community Delta-V Map 2.7

Kowgan

Sorry just saw the update when you posted.  I'm doing about 4 to 5 launches as you say, hitting the "improve guess" button between.   But for the testing I did above with the NRAP I started with the first launch new and each subsequent line of data was with the new "improved guess".   I'm not sure how many times you are "supposed" to do the launches to be completely optimized but it sure seems as though I have something going on with my implementation...   I do tend to be a mod hog,  there are so many good ones that it's very hard for me not to "install them all"...

7 minutes ago, rottielover said:

I'm not sure how many times you are "supposed" to do the launches to be completely optimized

I find it generally takes 5-6 launches to get GT 'dialed-in', and some craft (rarely) it just can't seem to get right. So if necessary, I manually tweak settings until I find what works best.

If you can upload the craft file (ideally to KerbalX which will deal with any modded parts properly) and post a link, some of us could check your results and see if we can verify them.

Edited by JAFO

2 minutes ago, rottielover said:

Actually I just started the process of re-installing.

By which I hope you mean 'making another fresh install alongside my existing install(s)' and not 'wiping out my old install'.

You do realise, I hope, that KSP allows you to have as many individually customised installs of the game as you like?

1 minute ago, rottielover said:

I do now.  :( 

Ahh.. well.. better late than never.

If you bought KSP direct from the store, it's pretty simple to make as many installs as you like. If you bought on Steam, the trick is to leave your Steam install as stock, and copy/paste the entire KSP folder to another location on your hard drive, and mod/run the game from there. Repeat as many times as you like. This has the added benefit of Steam updates not breaking ongoing games due to mod incompatibilities. The only thing you lose out on is having Steam track your play hours.

• 3 months later...

On 2/22/2019 at 8:58 PM, JAFO said:

The only thing you lose out on is having Steam track your play hours.

And you can even still accomplish that by editing steam's ksp launch command path and using steam to launch ksp from your modded directory.

3 hours ago, Tekaoh said:

And you can even still accomplish that by editing steam's ksp launch command path and using steam to launch ksp from your modded directory.

I hope that still means there's zero chance Steam will go ahead and quietly "upgrade" the modded directory?

23 hours ago, JAFO said:

I hope that still means there's zero chance Steam will go ahead and quietly "upgrade" the modded directory?

Yup, that's correct. Steam will still only update the KSP directory in the steamapps directory or whatever it's called. That setting doesn't change the KSP installation directory. It basically just causes Steam to use (as far as it knows) an arbitrary, user-defined command to launch the game which happens to launch the modded version, allowing it to track play time and do other silly things like Steam overlay and stuff. Things like Steam Cloud data won't work though because Steam doesn't actually know anything about another KSP directory.

So for example, in Steam Library, right-click Kerbal Space Program, choose properties, and Set Launch Options...  Mine is set to "C:\ksp171\KSP_x64.exe" %command% which causes Steam to launch KSP from my modded directory but still only update the default KSP installation.

Edited by Tekaoh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Im not moderating the Mods Posted on SpaceDock. If its within the rules of the site and my local law im ok with it.

I hope people sort as much stuff out themselfes as possible.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, Kowgan said:

Hey @Emperor of Ilve. I currently only have time to maintain the stock game, but I'm glad to help providing info with the tools needed to create versions for modded games.

looks to me more like the need for software with all those possible combinations of mods. Or make it real great and have a custom map be calculated based on your installed mods (autodetect those).

Edited by VITAS
Kowgan is right

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, Kowgan said:

Hey @Emperor of Ilve. I currently only have time to maintain the stock game, but I'm glad to help providing info with the tools needed to create versions for modded games.

lol, I think people were hoping you could take existing dV maps (i.e. GPP, AK, OPM) and make them into KSPedia pages. I took one look at some old tutorial about making KSPedia pages here in the forum and ran screaming....

SO what program did you use to convert the dV map images into KSPedia pages?

Edited by BlackHat

I think most of the capture numbers are wrong. I've gone back and looked at Curious Metaphor's numbers (based on the dv map linked on the front page), and I can only replicate them when I assume that you're departing from an orbit at the 50x time warp altitude (not what's listed on this thread's map), and that you're attempting to escape to infinity (which you aren't in this game). It's really simple to verify - if you hyperedit yourself into an 80km Kerbin orbit, you'll see that it simply doesn't cost 950 m/s to escape the SoI. I've checked Kerbin, Eve, Mun, and Laythe, and they all line up with my numbers within 0.1 m/s.

Here are my numbers.

BgTYyvO.png

(If someone can tell me what I've done wrong I'd be happy to understand how I'm misreading the map, of course)