[1.7.3] Community Delta-V Map 2.7

Kowgan

1 hour ago, BgDestroy said:

this map is bad.

Go learn some courtesy before coming back and trying again, so I can help you understand how to use the map.

Edited by Kowgan

what  courtesy ? this is map is bad is normal words.  Change AP to Duna AP i need 870dV about. And you say i need 470dV with airbreaking (about 500dV without airbreaking 500km orbit). Hofmann transfer say different numbers dV !

4 hours ago, BgDestroy said:

If numbers on maps is ok. How i make transfer ? Example to Duna with 470 dV ?

Contrary to you behaving like Mr know-it-all and blaming people, I had the manner to ask Kowgan politely directly to explain the map because I had a similar issue. I wouldn't explain it to you if you would have come and insult my work because of lack of knowledge/dumbness. So I can only support Kowgan in not telling you. That one can't know all is normal, but then one would ask politly - or did you go to your teachers and tell them: "Guys, your material is bad, this is all wrong and you don't know what you do. Now tell me what is 1 + 1?"

But since you haven't insulted me:
Nowhere on the map it is indicated that the dV is measured from a circular Kerbol orbit! It is measured from an elliptical orbit around Kerbin (!!!) with a periapsis of 80 km and an apoapsis at the edge of the sphere of influence (SOI, about 84,000 km for Kerbin) - which you would see when being capable of reading the map and understand symbols. Going to another planet is based in this elliptical orbit when you add another dV amount being at the periapsis, when the ship is the fastest due to Kerbins gravity. Having the elliptical orbit already "pointing" in the direction you want to go (e.g. Duna) adding another 130 dv already brings your apoapsis into Duna's Kerbol orbit. When the timing it correct you will intercept Duna there without having to waste the fuel on a circulare Kerbol orbit. Adding another 510 dv (250 + 360) brings you into a circular Duna orbit without aerobreaking. When using aerobreaking the 360 can be skipped.

So the velocitiy change you need from a circular 80 km Kerbin orbit to get into an elliptical Duna orbit for aerobreaking is about 1.350 km/s dV. Getting into a circular Kerbol orbit first and then to Duna needs about the double amount.

The values are correct when you know how to read them. To get the right point of time and the right angle of acceleration for another planet when in Kerbin's orbit you need to use a transfer window planning tool like NASA is using it for all their missions, they don't fly by "best guess" or "let's first orbit the Sun and see where we want to go to then". Get the mod "Transfer Window Planner" (CKAN or here) to learn how fuel efficient interplanetary travel is working.

Edited by Tekener

• 3 weeks later...

Idle thought: how about an "intra-system" dV network for the Joolian moons? I reckon that it's probably complicated to make, but it could be neat. Specifically, it could help put an upper bound on the question "how much dV do I need to visit all of Jool's moons", which occasionally crops up in the Gameplay Questions forum. Since that's a number that's nearly impossible to define, having that upper bound (obtained through straight unassisted Hohmann transfers) is better than nothing.

As an example, look here in the lower right corner for such networks depicting the major moons around Jupiter and Saturn.

As Jool is the only body with a significant number of moons in the stock system, you'd only have to do this once. Of course, if you wanted to do it for OPM too, that could get tedious quickly... :P

Edited by Streetwind

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I really like your Delta V map, I think now with the CommNet, it can be interesting to add the tracking station/antenna class need for all planets, I've done it quickly and not so beautifully :wink: (based on calculation by @Snark here)

Something likes this:

vPv4cAa.png

L1/2/3 Tracking Station level
C1/2/3/4/5 Antenna class

Edited by Malah

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/08/2016 at 1:39 PM, Streetwind said:

Idle thought: how about an "intra-system" dV network for the Joolian moons? I reckon that it's probably complicated to make, but it could be neat. Specifically, it could help put an upper bound on the question "how much dV do I need to visit all of Jool's moons", which occasionally crops up in the Gameplay Questions forum. Since that's a number that's nearly impossible to define, having that upper bound (obtained through straight unassisted Hohmann transfers) is better than nothing.

As an example, look here in the lower right corner for such networks depicting the major moons around Jupiter and Saturn.

As Jool is the only body with a significant number of moons in the stock system, you'd only have to do this once. Of course, if you wanted to do it for OPM too, that could get tedious quickly... :P

I can't access all the links, but I usually use this map, which is very useful

skAIz90.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/11/2016 at 7:35 PM, Tekener said:

Yes, no orbits or gravitational values changed

Ii has changed since KSP 1.2:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/1.2

Code cleanup

[...]

Now always use g0 = 9.80665 and G (big G) = 6.67408e-11 for gravitational constants.

before it was g0=9.81, and so it has changed the geostationary altitude ( a bit) for example.

Edited by Skalou

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are no changes to this in terms of point to point delta-V values for version 1.2.1, but is there any chance you'd consider updating the light grey bit in the upper right to reflect that it's still valid for said v1.2.1 (instead of 1.1.3)?