[1.7.3] Community Delta-V Map 2.7

Kowgan

It would be that value if Kerbin didn't have an atmosphere during the return trip. That white arrow/triangle next to "860" means that part of the route can be replaced by Aerobraking, reducing the dV needed to almost zero.

Edited by Kowgan

During your Mun escape burn, simply make sure your Kerbin Periapsis will be less than 70km. That means your route will touch Kerbin's atmosphere. If your periapsis is low enough, you'll slow down fast enough to land on Kerbin before your trajectory continues. :)

10 minutes ago, Kowgan said:

During your Mun escape burn, simply make sure your Kerbin Periapsis will be less than 70km. That means your route will touch Kerbin's atmosphere. If your periapsis is low enough, you'll slow down fast enough to land on Kerbin before your trajectory continues. :)

Ohhh okay, I guess I've basically been doing that anyways and didn't realize it. So if I'm doing that, I can save myself roughly 800 dV? That's pretty cool...I've been trying to maximize efficiency and being as resourceful and not wasteful as possible.

38 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

Ohhh okay, I guess I've basically been doing that anyways and didn't realize it. So if I'm doing that, I can save myself roughly 800 dV? That's pretty cool...I've been trying to maximize efficiency and being as resourceful and not wasteful as possible.

Yup. You spent 800ish m/s to get your orbit elliptical from LKO to Mun, so the atmosphere has to cut 800 m/s from your ship to bring it back down to LKO from that orbit.

Same with aerocaptures from Jool, or to Eve, or whatever. Though things can get a bit warm in those instances :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As in all the other bodies, it represents the amount of dV needed to "land" on jool, or to reach orbit from Jool's "surface". This one specific is more theoretical, like the one in Kerbol. Although many have proven it possible to successfully land in Jool.

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

It's not my thread to rename.  :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Solar Escape" line from the Kerbin Escape "hub" -- that would be handy for those contracts to eject near-Kerbin objects from the solar system.

Tell me something I don't know. :)
As much as I appreciate Swash's tremendous effort to make this pretty design, I equally appreciate everyone else's efforts to make this little project possible.

As for the Kerbol Escape, that's not a bad idea. I've been thinking about this, but wasn't sure if anyone else would care about it.

1 hour ago, PortableGoogle said:

how hard would it be to add these to the kerbalpedia thing in game? I noticed scansat added its own thing and for the most part I mainly find myself leaving the game to look up delta v maps. 

In fact, I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement that. My guess is that the image dimensions don't quite match the KSPedia window's, and it would need, at least, a zooming/scrolling feature. As I never messed with KSPedia before, I don't know if that's possible or not.
I'll lurk around how to achieve this and will let you know. :)

8 hours ago, Kowgan said:

Tell me something I don't know. :)
As much as I appreciate Swash's tremendous effort to make this pretty design, I equally appreciate everyone else's efforts to make this little project possible.

As for the Kerbol Escape, that's not a bad idea. I've been thinking about this, but wasn't sure if anyone else would care about it.

In fact, I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement that. My guess is that the image dimensions don't quite match the KSPedia window's, and it would need, at least, a zooming/scrolling feature. As I never messed with KSPedia before, I don't know if that's possible or not.
I'll lurk around how to achieve this and will let you know. :)

Cool, I hope they made it pretty easy because it could be really amazing to have all the info you need for all the mods you have installed right in the game. Simple things like a flowchart for life support mod and things like that would make the game a lot smoother for people as they learn new mods. But this delta V map seems like it should be in vanilla, though I guess vanilla doesn't have a way of knowing how much delta v you have on rocket does it lol. Anyway thanks for all the work everyone has done on these maps over time, they have always been huge help so I'm not just stabbing in the dark.

@PortableGoogle Unfortunately, I've learned that I need the Unity Engine in order to make a KSPedia entry in game. So, that's gonna be delayed a bit until I download it. :(

Other news: I've updated the thread's title. There's also a few cool words at the bottom. :)

Edited by Kowgan

@Kowgan This might save you a bit of work <link removed>

If you're ok with its simplicity I'll whip up one up for the OPM map as well.

Spoiler

05c7f7a816.jpg

Edit: Since @Kowgan will be making their own version I'd rather not leave a link up to an 'off-brand' version in the official thread.

Edited by plague006
Added screenshot

Checking it now.

--
@plague006 I'm assuming you need Unity to open this .ksp file?
Maybe post a pic? :)

--

Ninja'd. Sometimes the forums are too slow for our thinking power.
I like it, thank you for that! Is it zoomable? Maybe people with lower resolutions will have trouble reading those numbers. I'll see if I can make a version that keeps the window ratio.

Edited by Kowgan

I scaled the image to match the height of KSPedia entries because I'm not a fan of scrolling images. Alternatively you could scale it to the width and scroll. The dimensions of a KSPedia page are 2048(W) x 1536(H) (scaled down in-game of course).

Edited by plague006

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.