Python-class Combat Command Ship

gGATORr

Hey guys/gals,

It's been a while since I posted anything on here, but I figured I'd share something I made with the parts in the new update. So without further ado, I present to you...

I have no idea what to call it, besides SPACE CRUISER! Enjoy!

aGRaaCml.png

61KDlL4l.png

Hangar door open from outside

aKxvT4Jl.png

Hangar doors open from inside

m7RhE8Bl.png

The CIC

dJew6b4l.png

Attention on deck!

VNByXOJl.png

Engine Assembly

tq2UaQNl.png

Part count: 355 w/ launch engines ; 251 once in orbit

The goal of this project was to make an epic-looking warship-ish space cruiser without accumulating a massive part count. The internal space is divided into two parts: the CIC (Combat Information Center) and the hangar. I didn't know what to do with the hangar. It has plenty of room to create more "rooms" or levels, or to actually use it as a hangar, and store small ships inside. Let me know what you think! If anyone has suggestions for a name/designation, let me know in the comments below!

For more pictures, and to see how it gets into space, check out the album below:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yes, I used infinite fuel. No cheats other than that. 100% stock.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by gGATORr
Changed "bridge" to "CIC". makes more sense

Just from the look of it, the name I'd go with is Dreadnought.

That was actually the first thing that came to mind when I built it! It does look like a "Dreadnought", doesn't it? The only reason I don't want to use this name is because it's "traditionally" used to label battleships or large capital ships. Because this is neither, I'd rather save the name for something more fitting

Looks incredible cool!

Do you have a .craft file for this giant?

For name, I would suggest Argos like the ship of the Argonauts in greece mythologie.

I really like this suggestion! Its my favorite so far.

how dare you tease us so! hand over the craft file NOW... I'm feeling all Elite about it, how about Python?

The download link is now in the original post. Enjoy!

I like all of the suggestions so far, even the goofy ones! Keep 'em coming, and I'll pick one this weekend.

Awesome ship! For a name you could go with something from mythology or from real or sci-fi ship names. Enterprise, Columbia, Athena... Or you could name your ship after a Kerbal name and pretend that he was a famous kerbal from history. All of my warships in KSP (ship classes, not individual ships) are actually named after Kerbals.

Definitely use the hangar for some real cargo and landers! (if it doesn't go over your part count limits) Maybe put in some more fuel so it can do a proper interplanetary mission without cheats.

How about... the Freya?

Also, if you ever want help making stock warships...

http://i.imgur.com/vDOUtKY.jpg

Just lemme know. :P

Ooooh, I see some tasties locked and loaded on that bad boy:D

Battlestar Kerbaltica

I like where your head's at!

Awesome ship! For a name you could go with something from mythology or from real or sci-fi ship names. Enterprise, Columbia, Athena... Or you could name your ship after a Kerbal name and pretend that he was a famous kerbal from history. All of my warships in KSP (ship classes, not individual ships) are actually named after Kerbals.

Definitely use the hangar for some real cargo and landers! (if it doesn't go over your part count limits) Maybe put in some more fuel so it can do a proper interplanetary mission without cheats.

Hmmm, I never thought of naming it after a Kerbal. I'll have to see if any of the crew have cool names!

Speaking of crew, I forgot to mention that this ship can set out with a crew of 82, and has a max capacity of 102 Kerbals. Anyway, keep the names coming! I'll pick one tonight or tomorrow

ugh. that's extremely disappointing!

Well, you can still get bay for 3.75m parts that way, but they have to open front or backwards, or the stuff coming out just under 2.5m radius. So fighter bays done like this should totally be a thing...

Rune. I went off on a MkII bay mini SSTO tangent, so someone else will have to show that.

Well, you can still get bay for 3.75m parts that way, but they have to open front or backwards, or the stuff coming out just under 2.5m radius. So fighter bays done like this should totally be a thing...

Rune. I went off on a MkII bay mini SSTO tangent, so someone else will have to show that.

I think you're really going to like the ship I'm finishing up now...

The official name for this cruiser is....

Well, I've decided it's not a cruiser at all since it's not armed. I am therefore classifying it as a Combat Command Ship. So, without further ado, the name is...

Python-class Combat Command Ship

However, because it already carries so many Kerbals, I decided to make another version that carries even more. I give you...

Argo-class Troop Transport Vessel

0XdIpEQl.png

it looks relatively similar to the Python from the outside...

nZi5Ujpl.png

...but the inside is filled with crew compartments.

Thank you to Kerdinand and Warpedone for the winning suggestions(+rep), as well as everyone else that suggested a name!

If you have more warship name ideas, or didn't get to suggest one for this ship, hold on to them. I might need them soon...:wink:

9wDMmazl.png

GATOR

Wow this looks amazing.

Also just a suggestion you can ignore me if you want, Maybe make the CIC lights red to make it look more authentic.

also te way you lifted off reminds me of the pillar of autumn

Here

infact these ships look very similar to the autumn, you a halo fan?

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

Wow this looks amazing.

Also just a suggestion you can ignore me if you want, Maybe make the CIC lights red to make it look more authentic.

also te way you lifted off reminds me of the pillar of autumn

Here

infact these ships look very similar to the autumn, you a halo fan?

LOVE Halo! The ship was built with no particular inspiration. However, that cutscene is exactly what inspired my lift off method:D Good catch!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.