Development question that wasn't mentioned, or forgotten?

So I recall back in 0.14-0.15, the devs mention the ability to move around within the ship, with Kerbals, in a future update.

Now, immediately what I thought by this, was you, as the Kerbal, were able to physically move around in the ship you built. So does this mean, that part of the project was dumped? Considering that would be a big implementation as far as the core systems of the game?

Or is my imagination(as little as it is) actually come up with something neat for the game, and they were actually meaning just, "Right-Click, Moved" from part to part like you can now... Cause the ability to physically move around your ship, would add a WHOLE NEW diversity to the game. How cool would it be, once docked at your station to be able to explore it from the inside out, instead of the same old boring outside-in.

Secondly, The resource system was touched base on, in the beta info news release. However, this was by far (in my opinion) was going to be the best, and most game changing (for the better) impact on the game. And I've now been waiting 2yrs for this (*laughs and then starts to cry slowly*)

All of the above, is what I've been waiting for in this game/simulator. In my opinion, getting to space is the first step, building camp/station/base is second, and third is surviving the trip back home from another planet.(by surviving I mean having fuel and resources after touching down, and not having to fly the same mission 36 more times just to have enough fuel to fly back.) Especially now that we have Budgets... Doesn't seem very cost effective to be dumping 30+ ships just to get one back.

I'm really just trying to figure out, from what they say, "1st its a game, second its a simulator." would the above mentioned implements, not effect both, in an outstanding way? For them to be "possibly" adding it in beta, it would seem more like an entirely different game once it was released, in which case it would be more of a DLC then anything...

Any comments to touch base?

Edited by btymciw
Typo

The current way to move Kerbals around the ship is effective and simple. No special GUI or rules or new controls. Just a basic tweakable=esque formula to get from point A to point B.

I assume the Devs thought about the idea of having kerbals move around inside the ship. Personally i always thought it would be cool. But then the reality of the situation is adding such a thing to the game is demanding beyond belief. For starters you need to create IVA views of EVERY PART, then you need to add the control and collision elements for moving around in IVA view. Then you need to create more rules for parts, such as you can't go through a small strut or anything with no interior. Then you need to create a way to mesh players creations in a way that allows for IVA movements inside the ship.(what about part clipping parts?)

So all in all adding the feature would be ridiculously complicated for something totally unnecessary. It would look nice, and be fun. But in the end is just eye candy that helps nothing, adds nothing and wastes a bunch of resources. Hell we don't even all the IVA views for all the current parts anyways. I doubt this will make it into the game sadly, its a huge task and really adds nothing to the game.

The purposed resource system was as Maxmaps put it "convoluted". Something along the lines of Kethane would fit stock much better. I personally don't even know of a mod that could recreate such a drawn out, complicated, convoluted complex system for resource gathering. I doubt there are a large majority of players out there would would agree on having such a complex system. This has some weight as the most popular resource mods are basic, down to earth ones. Getting resources should be an important factor in furthering your own Space Program, but that's about it. It shouldn't be a whole meta-game within an already demanding game.

The most impactful game changing part of the game was the addition of career mode hands down. The game couldn't ever be more than a simulator until such was added.

They ultimately want the game to live up to its name. Kerbal Space Program, where you control as much of the program (contracts, funds, reputation) as the Space-sim part. The Space Sim part is pretty much done. Its the Program part that is lacking, which is why there is focus on Kerbal careers and upgradable buildings to finish scope completion.

Resource mods already exist, so adding them to the game wont change it dramatically. Moving around interiors during IVA would be a very cool addition to the game, but adding it would be a demanding task. All for something that really adds no new game play.

The current way to move Kerbals around the ship is effective and simple. No special GUI or rules or new controls. Just a basic tweakable=esque formula to get from point A to point B.

I assume the Devs thought about the idea of having kerbals move around inside the ship. Personally i always thought it would be cool. But then the reality of the situation is adding such a thing to the game is demanding beyond belief. For starters you need to create IVA views of EVERY PART, then you need to add the control and collision elements for moving around in IVA view. Then you need to create more rules for parts, such as you can't go through a small strut or anything with no interior. Then you need to create a way to mesh players creations in a way that allows for IVA movements inside the ship.(what about part clipping parts?)

So all in all adding the feature would be ridiculously complicated for something totally unnecessary. It would look nice, and be fun. But in the end is just eye candy that helps nothing, adds nothing and wastes a bunch of resources. Hell we don't even all the IVA views for all the current parts anyways. I doubt this will make it into the game sadly, its a huge task and really adds nothing to the game.

The purposed resource system was as Maxmaps put it "convoluted". Something along the lines of Kethane would fit stock much better. I personally don't even know of a mod that could recreate such a drawn out, complicated, convoluted complex system for resource gathering. I doubt there are a large majority of players out there would would agree on having such a complex system. This has some weight as the most popular resource mods are basic, down to earth ones. Getting resources should be an important factor in furthering your own Space Program, but that's about it. It shouldn't be a whole meta-game within an already demanding game.

The most impactful game changing part of the game was the addition of career mode hands down. The game couldn't ever be more than a simulator until such was added.

They ultimately want the game to live up to its name. Kerbal Space Program, where you control as much of the program (contracts, funds, reputation) as the Space-sim part. The Space Sim part is pretty much done. Its the Program part that is lacking, which is why there is focus on Kerbal careers and upgradable buildings to finish scope completion.

Resource mods already exist, so adding them to the game wont change it dramatically. Moving around interiors during IVA would be a very cool addition to the game, but adding it would be a demanding task. All for something that really adds no new game play.

Well, I did say it was just an opinion on my hope for the game, going from what they told us in the past.

The resource system, though as convoluted as they may have made it out to be, I strongly don't feel it would be that difficult to grasp. We all saw the Grid layout for the way the resource system would run. And it was fairly straight forward. They were almost done the project too. They worked a good month or two on all the parts and systems, and gave spoilers for it almost every week for that period. If anything they should bring it to us just because of the two month long tease, and then 2 years of nothing, until now.

I dunno,

The initial thought process seemed they had for the game, made it look like it involved more then just Planet Kerbin. It seemed like the game revolved around Space, traveling, exploring, building, and expanding. Planet Kerbin was only the starting point, and control center for everything that was to happen.

Isn't the point of a space program, to explore new heights?

Venture where no man has gone before? And return with valuable information, and samples?

It just seems like progression on the game has been far too grounded on Kerbin lately. And to hear the major development will be coming to an end, is unfortunate.

If they are just focusing on the control center, then they should have made research and development, actually include development. Like even the ability to be able to switch a few simple values (like more oxygen intake, but at the cost of loosing some fuel capacity...etc) on parts, in game, would have made the research & development, include the development part.

Edited by btymciw
typo's

Well development isn't going to end per say,what squad means by scope complete is that all the objects,features are going to be present that can be reused for other stuff.

*Like we might see new planets,procedurally generated,unique for each save,using the asteroid spawn & biome mechanism

*With destroyable buildings this opens up the door to settlements on Kerbin,either player of game generated that will add an extra difficulty when launching stuff.

*The inclusion of the first vanilla cargo bay opens a the door to for instance stock fairings

*new aerodynamics model suggested

What we are going to is similar to Minecraft, the basics are their,minor updates will introduce new items/missions based on the structure in place (like new blocks in MC),major updates might include new features that were just thought off.

But most of the updates between beta & full release will probably be bug fixing & client optimization, the problem with the 64bit versions are routed within the 64bit version of the Unity 5 engine (on which KSP runs) so that won't & can't be fixed by SQUAD directly.

Multiplayer is going to be another fun factor we'll just have to wait and see how they implement it.

I would prefer it as a mod in the future.I do agree it would take large amounts of resources but it is certainly cool when you can move to parts of the station like a real astronaut.Just imagine doing experiments,wrecking havoc,extinguishing fires,opening docking ports and ..... Wait....similar to a movie called Gravity :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.