[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

Wait, so what is StockPlus? I'm sorry if you get this question all the time. I searched but I did not find.

I've copied a bit from the SBFM readme, included in the install:

StockPlus: The StockPlus additions are all minor polish fixes or addons that unlock stock features. The stock bug fix modules now incorporate StockPlus additions. These additions are disabled by default, and can be unlocked by following the StockPlus Instructions below.

Basically, the Stock Bug Fixes ... fix bugs in stock KSP. StockPlus features make KSP a little better in several areas related to the bug fixes. StockPlus is off by default.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I realized after watching Scott's vid on the LV-N that the mk1 liquid fuel only tank is WAY underfilled. 150 LF in the same space as 180LF/220OX? Looking at the mk2 parts, the LF only tank has 400LF and the LF/OX has the same 180LF/220OX as the mk1 half tank. Easy MM fix, and it makes the tank actually weigh around the same as the LF/OX one, much like the mk2 parts, which also makes me think this is somewhat of a stock "forgot to carry the 1" type thing...

@PART[MK1Fuselage]:FIRST
{
@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
{
@amount = 400
@maxAmount = 400
}
}

I know what you mean, this is the one mod I have to keep track and not install automatically.

Yes, sorry. I'm not really sure what the best way is to distribute this without causing constant changes and headaches. I suppose I could make one big config file, and it would only need updating/changing when a whole new module is added.

I re-read the first page after I wrote this post, and saw that I could put it in the GameData directory.

Yes, that should work for the StockPlus configuration file. Technically, it would work for all the .cfg files, except that you'd have to delete any new ones that get downloaded. But if I start shuffling around where the .cfg files are, then it makes management of individual modules more difficult.

I would stop putting out StockPlus stuff, except people seem to like it. I'm pretty sure if I split the two, StockPlus will cease to exist. This is also part of why I spend a lot of effort on the readme and post, so that people can see what has changed and decide if it's worth the update.

A problem with ModuleGimbalFix: have constantly rendering plume in the VAB for LV-909 and the engine doesn't appear in staging.

I haven't seen this. Is it only the LV-909? I tried it with StockPlus off and on, in both editors, and in flight and did not see this. I assume you are using other mods, and perhaps a log would be useful here.

Has anyone found a fix for the cannard stock bug issue? It's killing my aircraft.

I'm not sure which canard issue you are referring to. Is this a bug in my fixes, or a stock bug that you're asking about? There was a bug with control surfaces and StockPlus, although I think that one is resolved. I've not had anyone come back to say if it's still broken, except perhaps this post right here.

Wait, so what is StockPlus? I'm sorry if you get this question all the time. I searched but I did not find.

It's a relatively new addition to my fixes. As Gryphon said, they are minor additions to the game that don't change stock functionality, but add little things or unlock things that are in the stock code. For instance, radial mounted parachutes that are attached in symmetry will flare away from each other. Or control the number of panels around the side of a stock fairing. There's also a tweakable sider added to rover wheels that allows the user to control how much grip the wheel has (so you can make it a bit more "grabby" for low gravity worlds). Features that are in StockPlus are annotated in the Readme.

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

I realized after watching Scott's vid on the LV-N that the mk1 liquid fuel only tank is WAY underfilled.

Not exactly a bug, more of a balance issue. IIRC, the in-game reason they contain less than their LFO counterparts is because more of their physical size is taken up by structural integrity (20m/s crash tolerance compared to the 6m/s of LFO tanks).

Not really. I believe the mk2 and 3 parts are mass balanced for fuel. If an lfo tank has 10 tonnes of fuel, the equivalent lf only tank has 10 tonnes of lf in it. And it's not like the intake/lf stuff that have the excuse of having part of their volume taken up by intake equipment.

Edited by INSULINt

@claw

Given how we can now customize the gimbal range, for better control (which I actually haven't changed it yet), would you think a range for control surfaces would be suitable too?

Not really. I believe the mk2 and 3 parts are mass balanced for fuel. If an lfo tank has 10 tonnes of fuel, the equivalent lf only tank has 10 tonnes of lf in it. And it's not like the intake/lf stuff that have the excuse of having part of their volume taken up by intake equipment.

I'd have to agree on both accounts. It is something I would classify as a balance issue, although I agree that it needs fixing. I probably won't put this in a patch, since it's not something that "broken" (strictly speaking).

Any chance that you could fix the parking brakes? (SAS too) SAS and the parking brakes keep turning off when I get back into my craft.

Idk if it happens with lights yet.

Possibly. I'd have to play around with it. It's an annoying "feature" but I'm not sure how it's meant to be implemented. I guess there's no "parking brake," just a guy pushing on the brakes. :P

@claw

Given how we can now customize the gimbal range, for better control (which I actually haven't changed it yet), would you think a range for control surfaces would be suitable too?

It's already in StockPlus. You can control from 10% to 190% of the range. I find that it's most helpful when making flaps, since you can set the range much higher (as a flap would be). Although then you have to actually place them as you would a flap, or it'll cause control issues. Or have a pairs that deflect opposite directions (sort of like a spoiler/flap combo).

Could you make a fix for the VAB/SPH breaking every time you return to editor from flight?

That's not much to go on. I don't have problems reverting or getting into the VAB/SPH through KSC. I'd need way more info. Perhaps a post in the support forum might help you out.

Cheers,

~Claw

Possibly. I'd have to play around with it. It's an annoying "feature" but I'm not sure how it's meant to be implemented. I guess there's no "parking brake," just a guy pushing on the brakes. :P

It's already in StockPlus. You can control from 10% to 190% of the range. I find that it's most helpful when making flaps, since you can set the range much higher (as a flap would be). Although then you have to actually place them as you would a flap, or it'll cause control issues. Or have a pairs that deflect opposite directions (sort of like a spoiler/flap combo).

Yeah, playing yesterday I kind noticed the control authority thing on control surfaces, wonder why I didn't see it before. Anyway cheers!

On the brake issue though, for me it seems to persist well, leaving a plane with brakes on and it stays properly in place, as for the SAS thing, I really don't think you should leave it on while firmly placed on the ground, so its kinda a useful feature already.

I'm not sure which canard issue you are referring to. Is this a bug in my fixes, or a stock bug that you're asking about? There was a bug with control surfaces and StockPlus, although I think that one is resolved. I've not had anyone come back to say if it's still broken, except perhaps this post right here.

Cheers,

~Claw

It is still a bug with Ven's stock revamp canard parts.

If it is just a guy pressing on the breaks, then why do they stay on until I tell a kerbal to board? O.o

As for SAS, I do agree that it should only stay on if I have a probe core or another pilot on the craft.

If it is just a guy pressing on the breaks, then why do they stay on until I tell a kerbal to board? O.o

As for SAS, I do agree that it should only stay on if I have a probe core or another pilot on the craft.

Maybe there is a physical brake lock that they lock on that needs a kerbal (or probe core) to unlock it. SAS is more of an active system so needs a probe core or kerbal to watch it.

EDIT : had not read the set up for the post I replied to (about the brakes turning off when a kerbal enters a craft)

code wise maybe when you enter a craft it is regarded as a new craft and stuff gets reset?

Edited by John FX

I just did some testing with the parking break and it seems to just turn off at random....

Maybe its just a key-bind issues? Breaks and Board are both B and tapping B turns the parking break off. Maybe make it so B can't turn off the parking break and make it so the parking break can be turned off with a key combo like ctrl-b.

I'd just like to comment that the tier 2 launchpad still seems to get my rockets caught in stock if I don't use supports to keep it off the ground. "Thumper" SRB and LV-T engines were of note. So I'd say the fix is still needed. Thanks, btw.

I've installed latest version, and it now assigned "extend" action to all airbrakes instead of "toggle"? This made airbrakes stick after first time you engage "brakes" action and never retract (unless you retract them manually). Most annoyingly, it seem to have applied to all active ships :(

That's not much to go on. I don't have problems reverting or getting into the VAB/SPH through KSC. I'd need way more info. Perhaps a post in the support forum might help you out.

Cheers,

~Claw

It's a variant of this one http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117613-After-reverting-to-SPH-VAB-the-parts-don-t-show-%28 where instead of the parts, the tabs on the side disappear. It's also reproducible in pure stock.

It is still a bug with Ven's stock revamp canard parts.

Okay. If I get time I will download and try fiddling with it. Perhaps there is some module work being done with those parts.

Unfortunately, I have no clever answer for you. :P

How high up do you have to be for the elevon/rudders to stop working? Great fix! I've always wanted this to be a stock feature but you know... so little time.

Essentially when on the edge of space.

Breaks and Board are both B and tapping B turns the parking break off. Maybe make it so B can't turn off the parking break and make it so the parking break can be turned off with a key combo like ctrl-b.

That could be too. With my fixes, you should be able to assign airbrakes to one of the action groups (it won't stick to the "Brakes" group).

I'd just like to comment that the tier 2 launchpad still seems to get my rockets caught in stock if I don't use supports to keep it off the ground. "Thumper" SRB and LV-T engines were of note. So I'd say the fix is still needed. Thanks, btw.

Good to know. For some reason I can't trigger this bug on my install anymore.

I've installed latest version, and it now assigned "extend" action to all airbrakes instead of "toggle"? This made airbrakes stick after first time you engage "brakes" action and never retract (unless you retract them manually). Most annoyingly, it seem to have applied to all active ships :(

"Extend" is exactly that. If you assign "Extend" to an action group, that action group will only extend (or deploy) the control surface. It's like with engines. You have the choice to "Activate," "Shutdown," or "Toggle." Activate always activates, even if you toggle it.

Unless that's not what you mean...

It's a variant of this one http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117613-After-reverting-to-SPH-VAB-the-parts-don-t-show-%28 where instead of the parts, the tabs on the side disappear. It's also reproducible in pure stock.

I have literally never seen this problem in my stock install, although I haven't been doing much of anything with resources. Replication steps and all would be good, but this if this is a stock problem, then it probably needs it's own thread in the Unmodded Installs forum till it's fully sorted out.

Cheers,

~Claw

That could be too. With my fixes, you should be able to assign airbrakes to one of the action groups (it won't stick to the "Brakes" group).

Not Air-breaks, but the toggle you click to keep breaks on at the top of the screen (Parking Break for wheels). O.o

Do you mean the action groups that I have to unlock with the VAB/SPH upgrades?

Do you mean the action groups that I have to unlock with the VAB/SPH upgrades?

This is more what I meant, and now I understand what the problem is.

So, air brake action groups were built differently than other parts. I don't know why, but they were. The problem is that they were not programmed properly and they constantly revert back to being tied to the "brakes" group, which is why I built the fix.

On a similar note, the air brakes extend when the brakes are activated by default. What I forgot about is that action groups might take a bit to get unlocked. So now I understand your question/concern/feedback. So yes, in the next update, I will change the default action group to function such that when brakes are applied, the airbrakes extend. And when brakes are turned off, airbrakes retract.

Now, I still don't think that gets down to your other question. You're asking about the wheel brakes resetting (turning off) when getting back into a vessel. I see what you are saying, since the brakes were on while out of the vessel, why should they turn off when getting back in? I will also take a look at that. Sounds like something I could put into the generic "UI Fixes" I'm thinking of working on.

Hopefully that answers everything.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.