[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

The missing heat shield fairings bug is not limited to Linux and Radeon only. I am running Nvidia on Windows and still experiencing it.

Please note, this seems to be related to something in the stock KSP code, as I've seen 3 different cases of disappearing "fairing" parts:

1. A stock heatshield fairing;

2. A mod capsule that has oval bottom side, so when something is attached stack to the bottom, it creates an auto-fairing(guessing it uses the same method as stock heat shields);

3. NecroBones' ColorCodedCanisters and FuelTanksPlus mods, which use some code to create a flat cap texture on every tank in the game when u attach something with a smaller diameter to it. For example a 2.5 m fuel tank with a 1.25 m. engine would "close" the tank opening by adding a flat texture-like fairing.

All of these seem to disappear.

I do think, however, and don't quote me on that, but NecroBones' fairings use TweakScale.

Huh, that's strange. I haven't seen that one yet. Has this been jettisoned? It looks like it is disconnected from the base, and I guess the interstage joint isn't strong enough??

Looks like it's by design, stock interstage fairings don't stick to the part where they were closed.

Here I properly closed the fairing:

xMTAJq3m.png

And here I moved it:

ZjvohElm.png

I think this problem happens only in Linux, and maybe only with radeon cards. I'm also experiencing it.

In the Linux thread there are more info about it.

I do run linux but I have built-in intel graphics. I've never seen the heatshield fairing issue anywhere except in space. Never on the pad.

@Claw you created custom drag cubes for the Mk3 cargo bays. How do you arrive at the inner drag cube? I could very much use this information for the B9 update. Thanks :)

Simply put, it's the flat face from other Mk3 parts (such as a fuel tank). The game will auto-calculate the faces for parts and put the cubes into the partDatabase.cfg file. You can look in there to find a non-open face part that is similar in shape. Then specify drag cubes in the part.cfg file (to override the partDatabase entry).

https://github.com/ClawKSP/KSP-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules/issues/2

I will leave this here so non-GitHub people can also see this. Its a CKAN issue about adding StockPlus.cfg into zip file, because CKAN can only work with archives.

Sure, I can do that. In fact. I've changed the current release to include this as a zip.

Cheers,

~Claw

The OP is a little sparse, What is StockPlus? What features is it activating?

[EDIT] NVM, followed your GitHub link and saw that (Plus) modifier in the descriptions was what StockPlus was doing.

Mist want to include something in the OP that shows that also.

Edited by BlackHat

[EDIT] NVM, followed your GitHub link and saw that (Plus) modifier in the descriptions was what StockPlus was doing.

Mist want to include something in the OP that shows that also.

It does. StockPlus features are outlined in the OP, the readme, and on GitHub.

For Example (from the OP):

---

+ ModuleControlSurfaceFix (Plus) (18 May 15) - (STATUS: Major Updated Release) - Description: Control surfaces do not deploy when launched or loaded in the editor

- Fixes deployment of flight control surfaces on launch and in the editor (loading, cloning, etc)

- Added some error checking to make the fix compatible with other mods

- Fixed bug that caused reverse roll inputs with surfaces forward of CoM

- (Plus) Adds tweakable authority range

- (Plus) Disables flight controls in space, so they aren't moving around when maneuvering

---

Gives the date of updates, highlights if it was changed in the recent update, is maked (Plus) indicating it contains Plus features, and outlines what those plus features are in the spoiler (as well as the fixed bugs).

Is that what you are looking for?

Cheers,

-Claw

I had not popped open the the spoiler notes in the OP, and based on that I had no clue what Plus was doing. As its description was minimal. It was not until I went to Github and saw the expanded notes that I realised what Plus was doing.

I was just suggesting that you include a blurb/note/message under the StockPlus section of the OP that what it does is explained in the spoiler notes of the bug fix modules.

Thank you for the continuous support, Claw. I'd like to show my appreciation here once more.

Other than that, is anyone else still having trouble with cargo bays and parachutes (realchute, actually) remaining shielded, and thus, not working?

The ModuleCargoBayFix has been deprecated, but the bug seems to keep happening to me.

Thanks.

I had not popped open the the spoiler notes in the OP, and based on that I had no clue what Plus was doing. As its description was minimal. It was not until I went to Github and saw the expanded notes that I realised what Plus was doing.

I was just suggesting that you include a blurb/note/message under the StockPlus section of the OP that what it does is explained in the spoiler notes of the bug fix modules.

Fair enough. I've beefed up the "StockPlus" section a bit more. You are right, there wasn't much there, but it now includes a picture and short description. :D

Thank you for the continuous support, Claw. I'd like to show my appreciation here once more.

Other than that, is anyone else still having trouble with cargo bays and parachutes (realchute, actually) remaining shielded, and thus, not working?

The ModuleCargoBayFix has been deprecated, but the bug seems to keep happening to me.

Thanks.

You are very welcome. :)

I know there are still problems with service bays and interstage fairings. Can you describe a bit more about the cargo bays?

Cheers,

~Claw

You are very welcome. :)

I know there are still problems with service bays and interstage fairings. Can you describe a bit more about the cargo bays?

Cheers,

~Claw

Thank you for the answer.

Now, when reproducing the steps to pass'em to you, send screenshots and log, I couldn't replicate the issue. The chutes simply work as they should.

Originally, the problem was occurring after a ~15m flight, and I quickloaded several times trying to make them work proerly. Now, I suspect the cargo bay isn't the issue here. Maybe that's something in RealChute.

Thanks for your concern, though! I'll go check with Stupid_Chris. :)

I've tried to reproduce missing heat shield fairing problem, with simple scenario of mk1 command pod, 1.25m shield, TR-18A decoupler, and FL-T400 tank for those to sit on. Switched several times between launchpad and space center scene, then back to VAB and out to space center scene to reload original craft at Launchpad. No problems seen. I've not added any mod parts or textures to my KSP.

WalkingShadow89 - are you running KSP on Mac OSX? I ask, because steve_v made a post elsewhere suggesting he runs KSP on OSX.

If not OSX, I also wonder if it is a low memory situation, are "lots of mods" are being used?

I am running windows but I do have some mods, I don't know if that might be the problem

i reinstalled this recently, and today i went through all MM files, i seem to remember there being an MM script applying gimbal speed etc to ModuleGimbal but cannot find the script? i'll check older versions when i get off work later, unless this was removed on purpose?

i reinstalled this recently, and today i went through all MM files, i seem to remember there being an MM script applying gimbal speed etc to ModuleGimbal but cannot find the script?

It's added via the ModuleGimbalFix and is enabled by editing the ModuleGimbalFix.cfg file to say "plusEnabled = true". I did specifically disable this in StockPlus because it was causing some major problems/confusion for those who didn't know it existed.

Cheers,

~Claw

Version 1.0.2e.1. The new addition is PilotRSASFix. This fix addresses the problem with the pilot SAS abilities causing jitter and excessive resource consumption (electricity and monopropellant) for small ships. It includes a StockPlus feature which allows the user to tweak some of the parameters of the dynamic adjustment.

It's still a bit of a work in progress, so let me know if you have any vessels which behave strangely still. Realize that there will still be resource consumption, since the vessel is attempting to hold a moving target. I'm only one person, so testing is slow for something like this. Additional feedback and testing this module is appreciated. :D

(Dropbox link is also updated.)

+ PilotRSASFix (7 Jun 15) - (STATUS: Initial Release) - Description: The new(ish) pilot abilities cause smaller vessels to jitter and rapidly deplete electrical charge or monopropellant.

- Currently does NOT try to prevent overcontrol by RSAS when moving between targets. Only the long term response.

- Dynamically self adjusts to reduce jitter and resource consumption.

- Somewhat reduces wobble for bendy craft during launch, when using pilot RSAS abilities.

- (Plus) Gives access to the tweakable options that control the dynamic tweaks.

-- The "Plus" tweakable options are available in the right-click menu of the first pod/probe core.

-- "Min Response" sets the lowest reaction response from the RSAS ("how far" is the initial move)

-- "Min Clamp" sets the lowest clamp value (how much reaction) as the RSAS nears it's target.

-- "Threshold" sets the angular speed where clamp and response values start to adjust.

- Still a bit of a work in progress, and needs testing with more types of craft.

Edited by Claw

+ Mk3StrengthFix (18 May 15) - (STATUS: Updated Release) - Description: Mk3 parts are easy to break relative to their size.

- Mk3 parts are rebalanced to have joint strength on par with other size 3 (SLS) parts (which might be a bit excessive).

- Now includes Mk3 adapter parts. Their strength is midway between Mk3 and Mk2 parts.

How do you know this is a bug?

How do you know this is a bug?

I have my top secret ways.

Also, there are no defined strengths in the Mk3 config files. Which means it uses the default numbers that are something around half as strong as the Mk2 parts, despite being an order of magnitude heavier and several times larger than the Mk2 parts.

Their strength is either the same as Mk1 parts, or maybe even weaker. I can't recall off hand.

Cheers,

-Claw

I have a stock bug that I'd like to see fixed!:D

In the upper right resource/contract/notifications menus, if you have a "pinned" menu and want to deselect/collapse it, you have to be very careful to NOT hover over any other menu, or else clicking again to collapse will not work. I find this pretty annoying!

Version 1.0.2e.1. The new addition is PilotRSASFix. This fix addresses the problem with the pilot SAS abilities causing jitter and excessive resource consumption (electricity and monopropellant) for small ships. It includes a StockPlus feature which allows the user to tweak some of the parameters of the dynamic adjustment.

Finally!!! Thank you Claw for fixing it!!!! You might not remember it, but my first post was about complaining about this bug as soon as 0.90 came out.

Good job on the PID controller, btw. I really like how you used a dynamic factor to adjust the values for the response limit. Is there a reason why you deleted the I term? I don't know anything about PID control theory (beside the stuff I read about how to fix the jitteriness), so I am curious to learn from someone that knows more than me. Also, do you know if the stock values are based on any PID tuning algorithm or if they were arbitrarily assigned? Looking at the numbers, I don't recognize any of the PID tuning techniques that I read about (and yes, I went so far down this rabbit hole to read up Ziegler-Nichols' original paper).

Well that beats my lazy "lets just reduce all the numbers" hands down.

Good job on the PID controller, btw. I really like how you used a dynamic factor to adjust the values for the response limit. Is there a reason why you deleted the I term? I don't know anything about PID control theory (beside the stuff I read about how to fix the jitteriness), so I am curious to learn from someone that knows more than me. Also, do you know if the stock values are based on any PID tuning algorithm or if they were arbitrarily assigned? Looking at the numbers, I don't recognize any of the PID tuning techniques that I read about (and yes, I went so far down this rabbit hole to read up Ziegler-Nichols' original paper).

Integral action is inherently unstable, and from my testing is even more unstable than usual with the RSAS module. I haven't properly looked at how Claw is doing this yet, but so long as the Proportional reaction is strong enough KSP doesn't benefit much from using the integral action.

RE: Stock tuning

I don't see how there can be a tuning technique for a static set of values. They may have been used to determine the original values against a reference vessel, but from that point on they may as well be arbitrary because no one knows what the reference vessel looks like.

Claw:

I hate to come with you with a request, as this module is perhaps the most important and essential on this board and we are all indebted to you... But with that said, is there any way you can include the airbrakes, when used as pitch or yaw controls, in the plus part of the mod that disables the aerodynmaic control surfaces in space? Pretty please??? :)

It's added via the ModuleGimbalFix and is enabled by editing the ModuleGimbalFix.cfg file to say "plusEnabled = true". I did specifically disable this in StockPlus because it was causing some major problems/confusion for those who didn't know it existed.

Cheers,

~Claw

i found that bit to enable, but i was refering to setting the accual speed of the gimbals. i went back through old versions, and found 1.0.2c.2 had what i was remembering

@PART

[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]]

{

@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]

{

useGimbalResponseSpeed = true

gimbalResponseSpeed = 2

}

}

but the newest versions have this script gone, does this still apply for controlling speed? overlooked and deleted on accident / purpose?

also for the new pilotSAS bit, i'm 50/50 on liking it myself, suggestion - plus feature to scale the effect with pilot skill, a new pilot should behave the old way, a full 5 star pilot should behave the "fixed" way :) then i'd love it

Edited by Scientist

I have a stock bug that I'd like to see fixed!:D

I'm not sure how easy this would be. Also, this might fall into the classification of "annoying and poor mechanization" rather than a gameplay bug. If I do get to this, it'll be a bit since there are several others I'd like to get to first (such as some of the fairing problems).

Is there a reason why you deleted the I term? I don't know anything about PID control theory (beside the stuff I read about how to fix the jitteriness), so I am curious to learn from someone that knows more than me. Also, do you know if the stock values are based on any PID tuning algorithm or if they were arbitrarily assigned?

It didn't seem to be doing much for small ships, and (if anything) causes some problems. So I found it was easier to scale down the other parameters. Quite frankly, I didn't want to program a full feedback loop (since I'd also have to redo a good portion of the stock RSAS). I have no idea what the stock values are based on...

But with that said, is there any way you can include the airbrakes, when used as pitch or yaw controls, in the plus part of the mod that disables the aerodynmaic control surfaces in space? Pretty please??? :)

Yeah, that "should" be easy enough. I'll probably make it a StockPlus addition, similar to the flight controls. (Although every time I think something is going to be easy...)

i found that bit to enable, but i was refering to setting the accual speed of the gimbals. i went back through old versions, and found 1.0.2c.2 had what i was remembering...but the newest versions have this script gone, does this still apply for controlling speed? overlooked and deleted on accident / purpose?

Removed on purpose. It's controlled within the module itself now, so that I could enable it as a StockPlus feature.

also for the new pilotSAS bit, i'm 50/50 on liking it myself, suggestion - plus feature to scale the effect with pilot skill, a new pilot should behave the old way, a full 5 star pilot should behave the "fixed" way :) then i'd love it

That's a good idea. But I don't know if I will implement the pilot skill, since it's not quite in the same flavor as the rest of my fixes/StockPlus. Something to think about though. :)

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.