[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

errorspaceplane_zps5d36b218.jpg

This happens every time i want to launch the space shuttle (any space plane stock or mod), it just "ESC" keys work when this happens, and I was only able to launch a module only, anyone know what happen to my KSP?

Hmm. Well this thread is really meant for dealing with my stock bug fix modules. I'm not really sure what problem you're having just based on that picture. Is it the view that is a problem? Or something else?

Your best bet is probably to post in the modded support area, with some more details as to what you are doing, and exactly what the problem is.

Cheers,

~Claw

I just added a section for miscellaneous utilities to continue helping in the support forums. These are packaged separately from my bug fix modules.

The first one that is loaded up is called InflightShipSave.dll. It saves a ship that is already in-flight, in case you launched it and forgot to save..

Released Here

When you want to save a ship, visit it in-flight and press F6. This will save the ship to a .craft file in your current game and will have the name "_Rescued" appended.

===> saves\[CurrentSaveName]\Ships\VAB\[NameOfShip]_Rescued.craft

I highly recommend you work on, or keep, a backup copy of your game when using this (just in case)...

NOTE: Still a work in progress. There are certain attributes about ships that, when parts are active, cause the editor to throw NullRefs. I've trapped as many as I could find, but it's likely that there are still some out there. Please let me know if you run into this, and provide a save and/or the offending .craft file.

Cheers,

~Claw

@Claw : yes, everytime i want go to launch pad using space plane design like Leastar A1 (stock craft) my view it's just like that picture, i can't press throttle button at all, and zoom in and out doesn't work to... sorry for my bad english and wrong thread, because i don't have idea about this :(

@Claw : yes, everytime i want go to launch pad using space plane design like Leastar A1 (stock craft) my view it's just like that picture...

Have you tried pressing M? There is a glitch in the game that will make it default to map view when launching a new ship (sometimes).

If that doesn't help, I recommend you post a new thread here for stock installs, or here for modded installs. Also, this thread will help you find the information we will need to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Cheers,

~Claw

I don't know if I can do anything to solve that or not. Trapping memory requests might be a bit beyond the ability of a KSP addon. Also, memory freezes and lockups may occur for many reasons. So it's hard to start working on any bug in particular without specific places to look and ways to trigger it.

I will keep this in the back of my mind. I've always wanted to try some way to reduce the run-time memory footprint of KSP, but that might also be a bit beyond the scope of my add-ons.

Understood, there may be little or nothing accessible to a mod. From what I've experienced, the vast majority of the freezes happen at a scene change, or less often when a save is happening. Maybe there's a way to do some pre-scene-change housecleaning? Even if you can't prevent a memory problem, maybe an error message of some sort to warn that it's about to happen? Kerbal Roulette is getting very tiresome. (My term for going into a scene change. Like Russian Roulette but not as messy.)

Ask and ye shall receive. I know a few people were waiting patiently for this one. Sorry it took so long but it's the most complex of all the utilities up here. I'm quite proud of this one, so hopefully it lives up to your requests.

Symmetric Flameout - Makes engines that are symmetrically placed flame out symmetrically.

Will function on any existing craft (in flight or upon launch). Any engines that are built as symmetric partners will roll back and flame out together.

Engines that are air starved will highlight in yellow. Engines that flame out will highlight in red. To get rid of the highlighting, simply mouse over the part and it will go away (until activated again).

Still a WIP, but seems to work pretty well. Be warned, that I didn't solve all asymmetric flameout issues. Engines are still subject to stock flameout principles and are limited by engine spool up/down time. You still need to design, build, and fly your ship. If you blow past the Intake Air pool too quickly, bad things may still happen. I could roll them back harder, but I wanted to maintain the stock flameout principles rather than supply a set of "auto-throttles."

But of extra note, when the Intake Air reaches 0, you can expect the engines to start rolling back (symmetrically). So you can actually manage the throttles based off of the Intake Air reading.

SPECIAL NOTE: I strive really hard to maintain stock compatibility with my mods. However, if you UNINSTALL this mod, it may cause issues for any in-flight craft that uses jet engines. It does not modify and will not harm your .craft files in any way.

If you have any craft in-flight when you uninstall this mod, edit your quicksave.sfs and search for any ModuleEngines that state "manuallyOverridden = True". Change this to "manuallyOverridden = False" and everything should be back to normal.

Good luck. I welcome any feedback, but be gentle on this one. It is literally eight iterations of different design effort to make it function. Hopefully I retain the "stocky" feel with it.

Cheers,

~Claw

Side Note: If you are planning really big engine packs and don't already have my SymmetryActionFix, I recommend you use that as well. Engines must be symmetric partners for this mod to coordinate their flameouts.

Edited by Claw

you should see if you can get an arrangement for squad to include the working fixes into every release.

Thanks for the feedback. I am hopeful that eventually all these modules will no longer be needed. :D

Cheers,

~Claw

Firstly, thanks for all the work you put into your fixes, people like you keep games like this going, generally long after the main developers stop working on it :)

Secondly, I have your KerbalDebrisFix installed, and it loads on start according to the gamelog, however, my kerbals do NOT revert from being debris until I manually reset them using the persistent.sfs method you described in another post, and it does not prevent them from becoming debris again upon crash. I am assuming since this has worked for most people, or at least I don't see many complaints about it, that it must be a conflict because of one of two things;

1: I am using a Mac, or 2: I have about 20 mods installed :)

I'm here just to ask if you agree with either of these diagnosis, or if you think something else may be afoot. I can post the log file if you think it will help. Thanks in advance for your time!

however, my kerbals do NOT revert from being debris until I manually reset them using the persistent.sfs method you described in another post, and it does not prevent them from becoming debris again upon crash. I am assuming since this has worked for most people, or at least I don't see many complaints about it, that it must be a conflict because of one of two things;

Because of the way kerbals behave, my fix somewhat relies on an attempt to switch vehicles (using ] or [) to wake up an already broken kerbal. I think since the time that I created this mod, I can probably come up with a new method to deal with this.

So (with the fix installed) when you crash a rover, does he stay debris after you switch over to the kerbal? Generally when crashing, the focus doesn't usually shift to the kerbal (because he is debris), and that forces the user to switch to the kerbal. Otherwise it may be a mod conflict (as you stated). In which case, a log file and the snipped of the kerbal from your save file would help me adjust the fix.

Cheers,

~Claw

I would like to thank you for taking personal interest on this issue, and apologize for the late reply, I haven't had as much time as I would like for KSP. Anyway, I would like to take a few days to more extensively test this bug. I have been experiencing mixed results, the original Kerbal that was rendered debris fixed itself, but some others during testing have not, and I would like to try to determine the specific scenarios that cause this before taking any more of your time.

Regarding symmetric flameout:

Will this work if the parent part the engine is attached to is applied with symmetry, or only the engine itself?

For example, if I attach an engine to a wing, then attach the wing itself with symmetry to the fuselage, will those attached engines also have this behavior applied?

Okay. If you could provide a picture (and maybe a .craft) that would help with trouble shooting.

Cheers,

~Claw

LOL too late, but I will try to reproduce the problem again and get you some more info later tonight. I think I still have that craft available I just have to start a new career and cheat my way back to a Tier 2 pad as I already moved beyond it.

Claw, do you know of any issue with core implementation that would prevent Squad from fixing the issues that you've already resolved (decouplers, etc)? I find it baffling that major issues would remain across multiple versions, when their cause is apparently already located. Or are your fixes something that they wouldn't want to do in stock?

For example, if I attach an engine to a wing, then attach the wing itself with symmetry to the fuselage, will those attached engines also have this behavior applied?

Any engines that are placed with symmetry will function together. So if those engines are in a branch that is placed by symmetry, then it will still work. You can confirm that the engines are symmetrically linked by going to the action groups tab and clicking on either of the engines. They should both light up.

There are some symmetry grouping bugs with the editor that can cause multiples of engines (especially if they are made via recursive symmetry) that can cause them to unlink. If you use my SymmetryActionFix.dll, that will fix most of the symmetry unlink problems.

But typically speaking, placing 2 mirrored symmetry engines as you stated works out just fine.

LOL too late, but I will try to reproduce the problem again and get you some more info later tonight.

No worries, a screen shot will do if you run into it again.

Claw, do you know of any issue with core implementation that would prevent Squad from fixing the issues that you've already resolved (decouplers, etc)? I find it baffling that major issues would remain across multiple versions, when their cause is apparently already located. Or are your fixes something that they wouldn't want to do in stock?

With the exception of the Symmetric Flameout, there are not core issues in the game design preventing these fixes. As for why the fixes are taking a while to implement, I don't have any insight into Squad's decision making process for that. Generally during any given release, they are highly focused on new content, and any bugs pertaining to that new content. I had assumed that some of this would get cleaned up during beta, but now I'm not sure what the future will bring with 1.0. Sorry I don't have a solid answer on that one.

Cheers,

~Claw

Alright, just wondering if there was something... I dunno, mod-exclusive that you'd had to do to fix it (or a weird cludge that they'd be leery about using stock). The latest dev notes mentioned bug prioritization, so... fingers crossed for 1.0, I guess.

Have anyone have problems with action groups and lights not switching on/off properly ? More precisely, with cargo bay open/close ?

I have bunch of mods installed, but I think this exists in stock only game too. Version 0.25 worked fine, but in V0.90 does not.

Steps to reproduce:

Create craft with Mk2 cargo bay. Put some lights in it and turn On lights.

In custom action menu on AG3 for example put toggle cargo bay and toggle lights in same group.

Keep cargo bay opened and launch a craft. On runway try to close cargo bay and toggle lights with AG3.

In my trials cargo bay is closed/opened properly but light toggle event is triggered only when cargo bay is opened, not when it is closing.

Doing same thing when you attach lights on craft ouside of cargo bay and attach toggle light event on GEAR action group for example, works just fine.

Sorry to bother you with this Claw, I don't expecting that you fix that, just I didn't wanted to start new thread for this.

It is not big deal, I'm just curious if someone else noticed this or it is problem on my side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.