[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

Oh! I'm very sorry for double posting, but I have something to suggest for stock plus too. The ability to toggle engine fairings. This would be very handy when clipping parts. Take it as you may. ^-^

Hi!

Found the thing that bugs me... Engine exhaust heat and impulse.

I've tested Spark, Terier, Reliant, Flea and Separatron in a rig, each pointed at a structural plate. Separatron and Flea burned through their plates in about 5 seconds, while LFO engines took very long time to do it, and the beefiest Reliant was not the best at it.

Separatron also transmits ridiculous momentum via it's exhaust (other engines too, but not so pronounced). Rigged two wheeled weights with Separatrons on one of them pointed at the other, gave a short burn. Both weights gained almost the same momentum.

Well, I can deduce that Separatron is actually a disguised lightsaber with built-in Force push power :D

A separation motor's function is to rapidly push a substantially bigger now-useless hunk of metal away from your booster. Any properly designed separation motor is going to have really high thrust for a very short time. That means really hot exhaust. So I'm not sure why you're finding this a puzzling thing.

Psycho_zs: Rocekt exhaust is very hot, that is why it is fast (due to the high temperature, the combustion chamber pressure is very high and this accelerates the exhaust out the nozzle). You are looking at around 20MW for the sepratron. However, due to its lower Isp, its exhaust velocity is lower and thus the hot exhaust has more time to heat anything it hits. So yes, it makes for a nice blowtorch.

As for rockets pushing other things indirectly... of course they do: the exhaust hits the object and is deflected by the object thus pushing on the object. This is actually basic aerodynamics, just the "air" (exhaust) is moving instead of the object.

Well, I doubt that already expanded gas blown at a part from nearby can move it with almost the same efficiency as Sepratron strapped directly to it.

And... about temperature: Flea burns 750kgs of fuel in 5,5 seconds. Sepratron burns 60kgs in 4 seconds. Same fuel, close timing, but an order of magnitude difference in quantity. Flea should dump about 9 times more heat per second. Yet they both burn the test plates simultaneously.

Psycho_zs: The expansion of the gas is irrelevant: all that matters is the velocity of the gas and the kg/s of gas hitting the object. The point of expansion is to reduce the pressure of the exhaust to as close as possible to that of the ambient pressure for the design conditions (it is impossible to reduce the gas pressure to 0Pa as required for vacuum). Any engine that has been tuned for pressures lower than sea level will be over expanded at sea level meaning that the pressure of the gas in the exhaust will be lower than that of the surrounding air and thus the exhaust flow will actually collapse in on itself rather than expand further once it leaves the nozzle. Thus, anything with a larger than the mouth of the nozzle will bear the full brunt of the exhaust.

(click on the image for the full article)

fig11a.jpg

Not all the gas would be able to transfer it's momentum to the target, some of it will flow around, some will be deflected sideways, giving only part of forward momentum.

Anyway, exhaust temperature transfer still looks odd.

Edited by Psycho_zs

I'm using this with 1.0.3 and I haven't seen any problems. Not sure what was fixed there or what fixes from here are now redundant or possibly undesirable. The wheel fix still works, which is important because as mentioned it doesn't seem to have made it in this time.

Sorry folks, I've been away for a bit. Due to life events, it might take me a week or so to catch up on all the things that have been fixed. The good news is that I am pretty sure the core fixes (such as wheel fix, frozen kerbal fix) will still work as advertised. In fact, they should all be compatible, though I have to dig around a bit to see which are no longer needed.

Cheers,

~Claw

Take your time, Claw. Whole community is grateful for all your effort to help with those bugs. Most of us will wait until majority of mods is updated as well for new KSP release anyway.

Thanks for all your time and effort to create those bugfixes at all.

Seems that ModuleGimbalFix is still needed, as I found out with an SSTO that was never meant to be such a thing. (1.0.4 is fun like that)

Edited by RyanRising
I don't have one, but I like writing things. Have some more words.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.