[1.1.2] Serious Kerbal Business (v1.7.1.1) - New Strategies for Serious Admin

AlphaAsh

... it's a shame I can't change commitment once I've accepted, or I'd stick with some (Meteorological Authority, Space Camps to name two) throughout. That said, when I accept new ones, it's not usually that high a commitment as it tends to break other ones...

I've been poking around the API to see if it might be possible to change that with a plugin. I've some ideas but for the moment the only thing to do is cancel a strategy then pay for it again for the higher commitment. I'd rather see being able to change commitment as a stock feature eventually.

...Outsourced Recovery has two nerfs and one buff. Maybe decreasing the % science loss or increasing the % off launch costs by a couple % would make it more attractive to me...

Yeah I've had mixed feelings about the balance on that when play-testing. I'll test out some more tweaks on it. It nearly didn't make the cut at all until I gave it that vulture icon, then every other possibility for the slot got cut :) (my design spec was three per department and I had dozens of ideas to test through)

Just my quick thoughts after looking at it for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the awesome feedback. Very useful sir.

I've some ideas but for the moment the only thing to do is cancel a strategy then pay for it again for the higher commitment.

And given the 'No Refunds' part of strategies, this isn't something I like doing much :/ As for the vulture icon, hell yeah, that has to stay! Makes me think of a squad of mercenaries or pirates getting their grubby mitts on it and holding my little satellite ransom :P

Always happy to help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Using this in conjunction with Sane Strategies causes an access violation a couple of minutes after entering the Administration Building. The "crash" produces no output_log or crash.dmp, only an error.log and a blank report.ini ...

I don't have to select or click anything, it just happens after browsing strategies without any particular input seemingly causing the crash.

Reproduce the crash then the log I need is ksp.log. I'm fairly certain the Administration Building currently has a memory leak and this issue will be caused by any custom strategies. Until I have some more info, I can't begin to track down any issues. Also keep in mind, custom strategies are essentially 'codeless' - they're just config files - so if there is a bug, it's in KSP rather than the mod.

Using this in conjunction with Sane Strategies causes an access violation a couple of minutes after entering the Administration Building. The "crash" produces no output_log or crash.dmp, only an error.log and a blank report.ini ...

I don't have to select or click anything, it just happens after browsing strategies without any particular input seemingly causing the crash.

I tracked this down to being caused by the dll in Sane Strategies. Crzyrndm's fixed the issue - go grab the latest version of Sane Strategies.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey AlphaAsh, if I edit/add to your .cfg (for my own use), how do we set incompatibilities between Strategies? Based on my initial research, it seems that Strategies with the same groupTag are incompatible, but after editing some groupTags, it messed up the incompatibilities (such that Misc,H; Misc,Recovery; and Misc,D were all incompatible with each other). Are there only certain groupTags that can be used?

... how do we set incompatibilities between Strategies?

Sorry chap, it was pure guess-work by me too. To be honest, I'm not really happy with the incompatibilities of SKB's strategies as they are, I just don't want to burn time trying to figure out an undocumented mod-feature. Too low priority.

Sorry chap, it was pure guess-work by me too. To be honest, I'm not really happy with the incompatibilities of SKB's strategies as they are, I just don't want to burn time trying to figure out an undocumented mod-feature. Too low priority.

Fair enough. I decided to try creating my own categories (such as Planets,C) and they worked. I still don't know why, but they did. I do agree, though, that this feature NEEDS documentation.

One thing I've figured out is that incompatibilities are in groups, which means you can't have the situation like A+B and A+C are incompatible, but B+C are compatible.

Anyway, if you have an idea for how you want the compatibilities for SKB's strategies to work, I might be able to play around with the .cfg and find a suitable configuration for you.

Anyway, if you have an idea for how you want the compatibilities for SKB's strategies to work, I might be able to play around with the .cfg and find a suitable configuration for you.

Thank you. I'll have a look at it again and I'd be interested in your own suggestions.

This is what I see in your .cfg for incompatible groups:

Appreciation Campaign/Fundraising Campaign/Defence Initiatives/Staff Downscaling

Open-Sourced Technology Program/Unpaid Research Program/Science Academy

Patents Licensing/Outsourced R&D

Recovery Transponders/Outsourced Recovery

Aggressive Negotiations/Conservation Directive

Launch Spectating/Sponsorship Deals/Homegrown Parts/Safety Procedures

Space Camps

Meteorological Authority

Live Feeds

Some of these just don't make sense to me (like Defence Initiatives and Staff Downscaling being where they are, and why Conservation Directive and Aggressive Negotiations are incompatible).

I would recommend something like the following:

Appreciation Campaign/Fundraising Campaign/Sponsorship Deals

Open-Sourced Technology Program/Unpaid Research Program/Science Academy

Patents Licensing/Outsourced R&D/Space Camps

Recovery Transponders/Outsourced Recovery

Aggressive Negotiations/Homegrown Parts

Defence Initiatives/Staff Downscaling

Safety Procedures/Launch Spectating

Conservation Directive

Meteorological Authority

Live Feeds

Some of these I'm more convinced of than others. I'm not really sure Homegrown Parts belongs with Negotiations, for instance, but Safety Procedures and Launch Spectating really seem like they belong together.

I have an idea... I don't know if it's possible though.

I've been playing around with NavLights and was thinking that maybe a part (like the strobe light from NavLights) if present on the ship would cause an effect like the .90 "recovery transponders". It would give a percentage boost to the value of the vessel when recovered, for an up-front cost. Namely the part and investing in the strategy initially. Percentage boost would be governed by the investment in the strategy.

I like your ideas. I'd be tempted to go Defence Initiatives/Staff Downscaling/Live Feeds, since you don't want the public watching any kind of defence-oriented mission.

Sorry this took a while for me to get to, but I've made a config that works (at least, it works for me :)). You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9742wtyria9swh/Strategies.cfg?dl=0

I used the grouping that I posted, but moved Live Feeds in with Defence Initiatives and Staff Downscaling, like you suggested.

Let me know if you run into issues. :)

Sorry this took a while for me to get to, but I've made a config that works (at least, it works for me :)). You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9742wtyria9swh/Strategies.cfg?dl=0

I used the grouping that I posted, but moved Live Feeds in with Defence Initiatives and Staff Downscaling, like you suggested.

Let me know if you run into issues. :)

Very nice. I'll roll in your contribution for the next release. Credit will of course be given.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well this mod is great. I actually upgraded the administration complex and am using strategies now, i never bothered before:D But it would be nice if i can see which strategies conflicts with others.

Edited by abowl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.