Best SSTO ev3r. Thanks to .25

Azuratte

ScreenShot2014-10-18at24049PM_zps759ed6c6.png

ScreenShot2014-10-18at24421PM_zpsb16b1931.png

ScreenShot2014-10-18at30458PM_zps5d383d9d.png

Okay, so... the one is 25 tonnes, the other 30 tonnes... one can carry more than the other... that's about it. They use 5 engines.

The two outboard engines actually have a fuel tank shoved inside all of that and is the standard Turbo Jet.

There are two RAPIER engines in the back, just in case I feel like landing on a low gravity rock. These could easily be replaced by two Turbo Jets.

Then there is the single nuke, it's for getting around in space. They lift 5 and 10 tonnes accordingly. Both those values are nearing the max. If you wanted to lift more, you'd have to strap it to the roof and add more belly fuel. I managed to get 15 tonnes up but certainly burnt a lot of my traveling fuel.

You'll notice the small one in the hanger has two belly cans on it. These are jettisoned when you are in high Kerbin orbit. So, it's still an SSTO.

In the end it has around 3700-4200 DV after you achieve orbit, using the nuke only; checked with mechjeb.

If you build one, take notice the large 45 degree wing that's doubled up on top the main wing assembly. It doesn't have to be there but you can land at 40m/s dropping under 5m/s with them on it, either version. Also take note the two outboard TurboJets are tilted "one click" downward, the climb rate is much better and there's no noticeable change in flight characteristics.

To take off, it's simple, turn on the 4 engines, climb at 35-40 degrees to 10k, change to 20 degrees until 15, change to 15 degrees till 20k, change to 10 degrees until you run out of air. Shut down aft RAPIER engines at this point you should be doing at least 1700 m/s. Try to keep climb rate at 80-100 m/s, no more than that. Cruise as far as you can until engine sputter and cut outboard engines to 3/4 throttle. Get some tea and ride it out at 3/4 throttle to 2100-2180 m/s. If luck is with you you should be able to get 80-100 miles out one side of your orbit. At any rate, turn off engines, enable nuke and putter about until you get your orbit you're happy with. If you want it reloadable, I would suggest making the drop tanks connected with a port instead, and simple have a drone connect new ones in space or on the ground.

When I built this thing, I got in to space so easy I was confused. Mostly since every other ship has been a bull ride all the way to the top with tanks dry.

Thanks for reading.

If you want me to post the ship I will.

Az

P.S. Giant note for all people trying to build SSTO's and not having it happen...

10 Shock Cones per Turbo Jet or if you must, RAPIER. Now, I'm not shooting down everyone else, but, easy-mode is 10 Shock Cones, or ten of the old stand-bys. You can totally do with less. Oh and beware that those pretty long air intakes, they're drag/air-intake ratio is not good for using with SSTO's... Try it yourself, load all of the intakes on one plane and take it up.

Edited by Azuratte

Just thought I'd update, as this has become my regular lift vehicle lately. Most things don't fit in the plane, so I've made do with some space-tape and strapped everything to the back. I can get 20 tonnes off the ground in to space with it. That's the max lift I've found, impressive since the plane alone is somewhere around 25 tonne with fuel. You'll notice the new engine between the tail wings, I got lazy and this was the fastest easiest way to balance the thrust at high altitudes. I keep it off on the return flight as the plane is once again balanced.

A finding that I came across is, the single "balancing" engine on the back is great at higher altitudes. I can adjust the thrust limit and keep the plane well trimmed when things get a little twerky. It is also "one click" rotated on a downward angle.

This is just a drone I send out on my attempts to suck less at getting to other planets. 460hours in this game and I still run out of gas... everywhere. Mechjeb lies!

ScreenShot2014-10-24at85817PM_zpsf8c6ae97.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.