[0.25] Lost in Space v.0.1 (Grand Tour + Interplanetary Rescue Contracts)

Marclev

Download! https://github.com/Marclev78/LostInSpaceMod/releases/

Source Code: https://github.com/Marclev78/LostInSpaceMod/

Hi and welcome to my mod!

WHAT DOES IT DO?

This mod enables the following two contract types, that are already part of the KSP code base but for whatever reason not made available as part of the campaign:

- Grand Tours, where you have to visit multiple bodies as part of a single mission.

- Interplanetary rescue missions, where you get a Kerbal orbiting a body other than Kerbin and you have to rescue them.

Needless to say both of these are quite good fun and in my opinion make the game more interesting.

SCREENSHOTS

1. A grand tour contract:

evRE9Qu.png

2. An interplanetary rescue contract:

d9J9nXE.png

NOTES

1. From the testing I've done, everything works fine. But as always with "Version 0.1", it may not work flawlessly! If you let me know anything that doesn't work, I'll try my best to fix it. Also I don't know why Squad doesn't make these availably by default, but as I said, they seem to work fine. The rewards for the grand tour seem a bit low perhaps, I should be able to adjust those if people give me feedback.

2. Grand tour is disabled in the stock game from what I can tell, full stop, but I believe there may be a debug option to generate such a contract, this mod makes them available as normal contracts from the mission screen.

3. The interplanetary rescue missions in stock, according the code, would become available with exceptional prestige and when you "complete" a planet (no idea what that means), but I've never seen them, and I've put over 700 hours into the game so far, with multiple careers completed. Seeing as I haven't seen any mention of them on the web, I think it's a safe bet that they're effectively locked in the stock game. Either way, this mod removes any special requirements around them so you'll start seeing them the moment you've reached a given planet in the career without any further effort.

4. Having played around a bit with this, I can vouch that the interplanetary rescue contracts are very good fun and can present something of a challenge (I saw a contract to rescue a Kerbal from an altitude of 10k over Minmus for example).

LICENCE

This is public domain, if you want you may grab the source code from GitHub and do with it whatever you like. By the same token I accept absolutely no responsibility for any unexpected side affects caused by this mod.

INSTALLATION

Just copy the contents of the GameData folder into your KSP GameData folder and start the game. The new contracts will become available just through playing, same as any other contract.

Download! https://github.com/Marclev78/LostInSpaceMod/releases/

Source Code: https://github.com/Marclev78/LostInSpaceMod/

Edited by Marclev

Interesting. I wonder why the devs didn't put it in. Maybe it was just... too hard? Buggy? I.e having to go to moho and eeloo?

I really don't know, it's also entirely possible they were keeping them for a future update and I've just ruined the surprise. I set out to make a grand tour style mod and stumbled across these while trying to work out how the SDK works. The grand tour contracts took literally one line of code to enable. The constraints preventing the interplanetary rescue missions being available were a bit more fiddly to remove, but that aside, from my testing (mainly as part of actually playing with these, they definitely make things more interesting) I haven't come across any bugs yet with either of them, fingers crossed.

Next step for me with this is to enhance it to make a planetary rescue mission, where you have to actually rescue a Kerbal off the surface of a body.

Edited by Marclev

Is there any scope for having a Kerbal stuck on the surface of a planetary body and having to rescue him?

Yep, that's what I want to do next.

Getting the inter-planetary orbital rescues to work has been quite educational in terms of how that stuff fits together and I think it should be possible to have the Kerbal spawn on the actual planet itself instead of in orbit with a bit of tweaking, but I haven't looked into it in that much detail yet. Unfortunately none of this stuff is documented anywhere, so it's very difficult to judge how difficult it's going to be, if it's possible. Watch this space...

• 1 month later...
Yep, that's what I want to do next.

Getting the inter-planetary orbital rescues to work has been quite educational in terms of how that stuff fits together and I think it should be possible to have the Kerbal spawn on the actual planet itself instead of in orbit with a bit of tweaking, but I haven't looked into it in that much detail yet. Unfortunately none of this stuff is documented anywhere, so it's very difficult to judge how difficult it's going to be, if it's possible. Watch this space...

Any progress on spawning kerbals on surfaces? I would really look forward to such a mod! I want a REASON to be able to make targeted landings.

I imagine its not as simple as copying and pasting the source code for the rescue contracts, changing the name to "surface rescue", and then changing the parameters which specify the orbit of the kerbal from altitude 100 km to 1 m? I imagine there is some code that specifies the orbit the kerbal is in, and so, you just have to change that code (i assume it looks something like how Orbit Editor specifies orbits).

Also, any plans to spawn rudimentary spaceships/landers in orbit/surface of planets/moons?

Spawning stations in orbit owned by other agencies which you get contracts to service I thought was something that could have been a nice step up the ladder in career mode for quite some time. Space taxi/delivery gives good practice for rendezvous & docking without you having to build your own station first, amongst other things.

This is starting to look like a contract system I'm interested in, rather than the makework of the stock one.

Edited by Van Disaster

Any progress on spawning kerbals on surfaces? I would really look forward to such a mod! I want a REASON to be able to make targeted landings.

Also, any plans to spawn rudimentary spaceships/landers in orbit/surface of planets/moons?

Spawning stations in orbit owned by other agencies which you get contracts to service I thought was something that could have been a nice step up the ladder in career mode for quite some time. Space taxi/delivery gives good practice for rendezvous & docking without you having to build your own station first, amongst other things.

I obviously can't speak for Marclev, but these are both in the roadmap for ContractConfigurator. Which of course only give the ability for a modder to add orbiting/surface kerbals/vessels. So to see it in game you'll have to wait for me to make a player mod using ContractConfigurator (or for someone like Marclev to do it using ContractConfigurator).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.