When Female Kerbals are added, be sure to make at least one an orange-suit.

Alice and Sally would work well, but I'm struggling to come up with a counterpart for Jebediah. That name is so rare that it didn't even crack the top 1200 first names in the U.S. in the 2000 census.

Jeb is a diminutive of Jacob, but Jebediah is likely a compounding of Jeb and Jedidiah. Jedidiah is from the Hebrew meaning "friend of G*d." I think Elisheva would be the closest female equivalent meaning "G*d is my oath." It's equally funky, and sounds bada**.

Jeb is a diminutive of Jacob, but Jebediah is likely a compounding of Jeb and Jedidiah. Jedidiah is from the Hebrew meaning "friend of GOd." I think Elisheva would be the closest female equivalent meaning "GOd is my oath." It's equally funky, and sounds bada**.

Fixed that for you.

Jeb is a diminutive of Jacob, but Jebediah is likely a compounding of Jeb and Jedidiah. Jedidiah is from the Hebrew meaning "friend of G*d." I think Elisheva would be the closest female equivalent meaning "G*d is my oath." It's equally funky, and sounds bada**.

And her nickname would be Ellie, which to my ear works well alongside Jeb.

<test>God</test>

I just had to see if that was the forum or you. :)

<not_a_test>Ninja'd</not_a_test>

Here, take this rep!

I'm an atheist, but I generally write G-d or G*d online out of respect for Jewish believers. Here's why: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/166899/jewish/Why-Dont-You-Spell-Out-G-ds-Name.htm

I wish some religious people in my homelands were just like you,, friend. World could be a better place for all.

Well... something like that.

Edited by Nahim
forum rulez!

Hmm. Elisheva has become Elizabeth, making it to common for my taste.

Damn language evolving like that. Has it no respect? Next thing you know infinitives will brazenly split, and you know where that leads. Syntactic mitosis, that's where!

Chuckle~he! Sounds like one of these "thousent names for you babyes" book.

But i realy dont mind the meaning of these names, as long they souds Midwestern, you know.. Its a Kerbal commonsense. : )

Edited by Nahim
typo

This part of the discussion is over. Kerbals are gendered and the ones we see are male. The developers will be adding females but haven't gotten to it yet.
I can't believe so many people are stuck on this.

So here's my suggestion : Since Kerbun seem to be asexual fungus, just start generating an equal number of female name... without changing any suit at ALL. Not even new clothes in whatever administration building is necessary, we ARE living in a new age of equality after all.

There, that will be my only post on something so trivial, no get back to the new aerodynamic model, at least physics isn't sexist.

I'm with Kegereneku on this one. The Kerbals we have do not have any male or masculine features whatsoever. You all perceive them as male for two primary reasons:

1.) men don't have a lot of extra dealy-bobs sticking out, and

2.) we've been programmed to perceive gender-neutral figures as male

I propose we settle the issue by leaving them gender-neutral and give them varying lengths of hair. While I understand that astronauts have good reason to trim their hair short, we can see clearly from various space agency footage that it's okay to allow astronauts to have longer hair. To settle the debate even further, give players the option to adjust their hairstyle. Most players will likely automatically ascribe genders to each hairstyle, based on their own personal views--but when they realize that X Kerbal can also be given hair that matches other genders (in their mind), perhaps they will begin to realize that the Kerbals really don't have a gender.

Devs have stated that they are added a model for female kerbals. Its probably pretty low priority though.

Devs have also stated that the Kerbals have no gender and are not actually male. They once stated that there was no intention of ever adding any female Kerbals. My guess is the only reason that changed is because they are getting hounded by all of you sexists who don't realize your sexism, believing the game to be sexist due to how its lack of sexism contrasts with everything else you are familiar with. And as is typical, you've all forgotten Squad said those things before, but remember the things they say which you like more.

I'm not so concerned about the orange suit kerbals, but if they keep the idea that these are veterans, and other kerbals can obtain that status, then I don't see why not.

But, swapping some of the existing admin kerbals for female ones is important. That, or adding a few new positions.

I'm with Kegereneku on this one. The Kerbals we have do not have any male or masculine features whatsoever. You all perceive them as male for two primary reasons:

1.) men don't have a lot of extra dealy-bobs sticking out, and

2.) we've been programmed to perceive gender-neutral figures as male

You forget the short hair that is most typically male in appearance. Also what about the masculine voice? How about the facial hair on some of them? You're telling me all those aren't characteristic of males?

all of you sexists who don't realize your sexism.

So you're labelling me sexist for assuming that the names "Jebediah", "Bill", "Bob", "Phildred", "Edford", "Billy" and "Matford" are male names? Seriously? Kerbals are assumed by almost everyone unfamiliar with the game to be male, because of their appearance, because that's how most men look in the real world.

Edited by Bartybum

Kerbals aren't aliens, they're art. Art exists in the context of the audience.

If real kerbals showed up on our doorstep we would have to ignore our gender preconceptions and learn about how they work, our gender cues would likely be inaccurate and inapplicable.

But they're not real. They're designed by artists who know their audience. If they have human male gender cues, it seems pretty obvious that the artists intended them to be thought of as male. If they weren't intended to be seen as male, the artists wouldn't have made them look male.

OMG this argument is SOOOOO BORING!! how can this be the most frequent topic on the forums when new MK3 Parts are coming...?

when they revamp the kerbals, will anyone be hurt by adding some "genderless" green skinned humanoids, with features and names inspired by female humans?

The answer, is no.

YAY! now we can get back to talking about space travel! :kiss:

*edit: going back to the actual topic: A "genderless" green skinned humanoid, with features and name inspired by female humans should also come in an Orange Suit version.

Edited by Capt Snuggler
addressing the topic

You forget the short hair that is most typically male in appearance. Also what about the masculine voice? How about the facial hair on some of them? You're telling me all those aren't characteristic of males?
Short hair isn't masculine at all, that is a cultural view. Their voices are squeaky and high-pitched. They don't seem particularly masculine to me. And none of the randomly-generated Kerbals have facial hair, only two of the NPCs IIRC. They probably have it to look more refined, or more unrefined, depending on the case. If facial hair is a masculine trait, then not having facial hair is a feminine trait? And since most Kerbals don't have any...
So you're labelling me sexist for assuming that the names "Jebediah", "Bill", "Bob", "Phildred", "Edford", "Billy" and "Matford" are male names? Seriously? Kerbals are assumed by almost everyone unfamiliar with the game to be male, because of their appearance, because that's how most men look in the real world.
Sure, they should add more female-sounding names. But that's not why I'm calling you sexist. You were trying to suggest that the Kerbals are male in appearance, when they most certainly are not.
*edit: going back to the actual topic: A "genderless" green skinned humanoid, with features and name inspired by female humans should also come in an Orange Suit version.

YES!!

Ok once female Kerbals are added in why should one be made an orange suit? The whole point of the orange suits is that they are the first three. They are special in their own right. An homage to an earlyer point in the games devlopment.

If the first three had been Jane, Jill and Darcy I wouldn't want one of the soon to be added guy Kerbals be made a orange suit because there is no reason, in my eyes it has nothing to do with equality, but everything to do with being a homage to where the game has come from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.