[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

And I hope this mod will have a more powerful jet engine to push those giant plane to the sky, now I have to spam many stock jet engine on the plane to do so, it was ugly and lag:(

Might I suggest FAR or NEAR? Stock drag is so high that you need to spam engines to do anything. With more reasonable drag levels you don't need quite so much thrust.

I think ky engine would better be a dual mode engine.

And I hope this mod will have a more powerful jet engine to push those giant plane to the sky, now I have to spam many stock jet engine on the plane to do so, it was ugly and lag:(

How much bigger is your plane when compared to my SSTO on page 8?

Just stopping by to point out a few minor problems I'm still having, or, I should say, a few things that I've observed that could, perhaps, be worked on a little bit:

1. Are you aware, Mr. Yeon, that there is still a small gap at the front of the drop bay, when attached to another part? It seems that there's a small offset of the attachment node location in relation to the actual end of the part. The rear node is spot-on, it's just the front one. Again, I only point this out because it's a strictly visual thing, doesn't affect the usability of the part. It's just... it BUGS me, man! :)

2. This one is of slightly more concern. I like the size of the new cargo bay, but it creates MAJOR lag in my game as soon as I place it on a craft. I mean, my framerate goes from 20-30 fps to under 10! As soon as I remove the part, the problem goes away. I don't know, maybe no one else is having this issue, but I wanted to mention it just the same.

Oh, by the way, thanks so much for fixing the j-s adapters, they look great now, and they line up perfectly! :) Hopefully you can work similar magic on the drop bay node position and the cargo bay fps issues. ;) Finally, I would like to add my request to those asking to have a version of the drop bay that does NOT have ends, so that 2 or more could be used together to create a longer bay. You might also think about creating a version of the cargo bay that has the adapter shape at one end, and is open at the other. That way, 2 could be attached at the open ends to make a double length bay. Or, separate the adapter part from the bay itself, making the bay a hollow tube with no ends. Again these are merely suggestions/requests.

Keep up the great work, sir! Later. :D

Having a bit of trouble getting this mod installed properly. Drop the whole thing into Game Data? Separate the individual folders? Ask a five year old for help? (That one works for my phone) Small words and short sentences work best for me! Thanks in advance.

You could do it yourself pretty easily by copying modules to the cargo/drop bay .cfg files from a fuel tank's .cfg using notepad. Once you start to try, it's pretty self explanatory. Just remember to keep the LF & O quantities in the right proportions and you shouldn't have a problem with changing how much fuel the parts hold.

Why the Ky engine is a LFO engine and not a air intake engine ? Have I a bug???

Arvolder: is not a bug, i intend to create a new resource that can be used by the engine in any atmosphere but i havent figure out how to do...the intake only intent to take in that resource. The theory of the engine (i made it up) is to use somekind of solid catalyst that harvest a gas in the atmosphere similar to hydrogen, and then use LOfuel to ignite it. so at somepoint in flight is basically running on the gas in the atmosphere creating very high isp.

blowfish: The engine definitely feels a bit unbalanced anyway though. K.Yeaon - I recommend basing the thrust and efficiency curves off of existing in-game engines rather than putting multiple points together. The stock RAPIER might be a good place to start :). And have you considered making it a dual-mode engine? The shape of the nozzles and the overall size of the engine seems to suggest that it would be dual-mode.

And a minor bug report on the model - there should be two thrust transforms - one for each nozzle. That way the exhaust effects can spawn properly :)

I didnt like the dual mode before because you cant use it in other atmosphere. But i am considering to add a dual mode for it anyway because dual mode is great. I might make one mode is the current mode and another uses just liquid fuel and intake air.

Just stopping by to point out a few minor problems I'm still having, or, I should say, a few things that I've observed that could, perhaps, be worked on a little bit:

1. Are you aware, Mr. Yeon, that there is still a small gap at the front of the drop bay, when attached to another part? It seems that there's a small offset of the attachment node location in relation to the actual end of the part. The rear node is spot-on, it's just the front one. Again, I only point this out because it's a strictly visual thing, doesn't affect the usability of the part. It's just... it BUGS me, man! :)

2. This one is of slightly more concern. I like the size of the new cargo bay, but it creates MAJOR lag in my game as soon as I place it on a craft. I mean, my framerate goes from 20-30 fps to under 10! As soon as I remove the part, the problem goes away. I don't know, maybe no one else is having this issue, but I wanted to mention it just the same.

Oh, by the way, thanks so much for fixing the j-s adapters, they look great now, and they line up perfectly!:) Hopefully you can work similar magic on the drop bay node position and the cargo bay fps issues. ;)Finally, I would like to add my request to those asking to have a version of the drop bay that does NOT have ends, so that 2 or more could be used together to create a longer bay. You might also think about creating a version of the cargo bay that has the adapter shape at one end, and is open at the other. That way, 2 could be attached at the open ends to make a double length bay. Or, separate the adapter part from the bay itself, making the bay a hollow tube with no ends. Again these are merely suggestions/requests.

Keep up the great work, sir! Later. :D

Thanks Neutrino again for your support!! I will consider all the suggestions. 1: in this version (1.3) i did not change the drop bay at all :( so im aware the seam still exist, i am making the drop bay open independently and a remodel to get rid of the ends once and for all. 2: the lag created by cargo bay is caused by me putting 4 colliders in the bay doors, i removed one and it stops the lag. Might have to wait for next update for this to be fixed :(

Having a bit of trouble getting this mod installed properly. Drop the whole thing into Game Data? Separate the individual folders? Ask a five year old for help? (That one works for my phone) Small words and short sentences work best for me! Thanks in advance.

SuperChief: when unzip the download you should get [OPTSpacePlanePartsV1.3], open it, copy [GameData] and drop it into the [ksp folder] that has GameData in it. e.g. my [ksp folder] is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

Any chance we'll see fuel and oxidizer options for the cargo bay and the drop bay? That would go a long way to helping with my center of mass and lift fussiness on a design I've got....

Railgunner: i dont really understand, do you mean add smaller fueltanks with in the cargo bay? if thats the case you could just use the stock radial attachment point part and attach a fueltank inside

This is cool yo.

slimJim: Glad it worked out for you, that is a very cool looking design! Maybe i should add a album that goes in the front that has all the cool ships i seen haha

Lastly an update: I got the right sound and effect for the kyEngine :D

1cdYM5i.png

Edited by K.Yeon

I found that the space plane can lose control easily, flip around and takes long time to recover,how can I solve this?

I did it by removing the lift rating of the parts I put up front(the ship of mine on the previous page, there's actually some issue going with the drag or something. Since my CoL was a fair bit behind my CoM, it should be very stable, right? That wasn't the case, and this was a temporary solution for me.

Perhaps something you could replicate this K.Yeon? Use a ship that has the wings place rather far back, with no wings up fron with the intention of letting the front body carry itself, then see if it sways in a weird way in the upper atmosphere.

Edit: Also, did you design the new 8m cargobay with ASET Rovers in mind? They're a perfect match if we look at the picture where it's raised to the roof:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Argh.. it isn't that visible, but the slanted cargobay roof matched perfectly with the ERS parts, flat roof, the angled at the sides, just a curious observation I made. So check out what cool things one can do with your parts :D love it

Edited by SlimJim89

I did it by removing the lift rating of the parts I put up front(the ship of mine on the previous page, there's actually some issue going with the drag or something. Since my CoL was a fair bit behind my CoM, it should be very stable, right? That wasn't the case, and this was a temporary solution for me.

Yep, my plane's COL also behind the COM, so I don't understand why it will be unstable.

In fact I have build some plane with COL in front of COM just like the real life fighter jet , it still can stabilize by the SAS.

edit:

Wow! it works!

Now my plane can "dance" in upper atmosphere without losing control.

Before I delete the lifting surface, a small maneuver can cause to lose control

Edited by royying

From my limited understanding (through talking with ferram4), such instability is caused by your tail-fins stalling before your wings (or worse, your nose) do, and thus your CoL shifting forward. The answer is to change the aspect ratio of the tail-fins relative to the main wings (such that the wings stall first), but I don't remember which way. Reading the Cm line in the static analysis graph (AoA sweep) will make things obvious. If you're not using FAR, then you are on your own.

Perhaps something you could replicate this K.Yeon? Use a ship that has the wings place rather far back, with no wings up fron with the intention of letting the front body carry itself, then see if it sways in a weird way in the upper atmosphere.

Edit: Also, did you design the new 8m cargobay with ASET Rovers in mind? They're a perfect match if we look at the picture where it's raised to the roof:

http://imgur.com/a/aX2zx

Argh.. it isn't that visible, but the slanted cargobay roof matched perfectly with the ERS parts, flat roof, the angled at the sides, just a curious observation I made. So check out what cool things one can do with your parts :D love it

How is it hovering? It looks like all of its VTOL engines are in the back.... what am I missing?

I think you need to reread the last few posts Mekan, They're asking how SlimJim89 got it to take of vertically without pitching forward, much less hover stably!!! I should know, made a pretty close replica myself using what I could glean from the pictures......

There's a a slight imbalance with the payload, but it aint something Davon Throttlecontrol cannot fix! Thing is, the front section, cockpit, lab/crew module, and the cargo bay only make up for max 15 tons of weight. The total weight is around 130 tons with fuel, and it's all allocated in the back, and the CoM is perfectly maintained even when the fuel is near zero, and the VTOL engines is place exactly at the center of the CoM.

When you unload(unplug) cargo, you have to use the davon throttlecontrol centerthrust in order to counter the 7 ton difference of the rover payload(for instance)!

All this for the sake of awesome design :) if the cargobay was at the back of the ship and VTOL engines further at the front, the stability at high speeds would be quite poor.

Also, the ship is on Spacecraft Exchange, so go check it out! Thread is called OPT Victory.

Edited by SlimJim89

Is there any documentation on this mod? I just saw it and started playing around with it and I have a few questions.

How are the KY engines supposed to behave? Are they LQ+O engines or are they intake engines? What is their optimum usage altitude? The Prebuilt Orbital express. How is that supposed to be flown?

thanks!

Is there any documentation on this mod? I just saw it and started playing around with it and I have a few questions.

How are the KY engines supposed to behave? Are they LQ+O engines or are they intake engines? What is their optimum usage altitude? The Prebuilt Orbital express. How is that supposed to be flown?

thanks!

Quickly, read the previous pages before somebody destroys you!