[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

I did it by removing the lift rating of the parts I put up front(the ship of mine on the previous page, there's actually some issue going with the drag or something. Since my CoL was a fair bit behind my CoM, it should be very stable, right? That wasn't the case, and this was a temporary solution for me.

Perhaps something you could replicate this K.Yeon? Use a ship that has the wings place rather far back, with no wings up fron with the intention of letting the front body carry itself, then see if it sways in a weird way in the upper atmosphere.

Edit: Also, did you design the new 8m cargobay with ASET Rovers in mind? They're a perfect match if we look at the picture where it's raised to the roof:

http://imgur.com/a/aX2zx

Argh.. it isn't that visible, but the slanted cargobay roof matched perfectly with the ERS parts, flat roof, the angled at the sides, just a curious observation I made. So check out what cool things one can do with your parts :D love it

Cool craft i don't think you will find a mod to counteract the balance shift when you drop the rover. Unless you use infernal robotics to shift ballast or use fuel balancer or manually shift fuel about.

I would build a craft where the COM stays in the same position laterally at least with or without the rover onboard. I have to say I am guilty of changing engine mass in the CFG just to make similar designs work.

I have to say this is a such a really good time to be playing KSP. There are so many good mods coming out, being released, and WIP that you don't even know what to do with your gamedata file. I find it a wonderful challenge to try and figure out what makes it into my gamedata file. Well done sir you have made my life extremely difficult to decide what to take out of my gamedata file.

Hi Yeon. Fantastic looking models, your mod really has some potential. I've lurked here for years but you convinced me to join to give you a suggestion regarding your ky engines. So you want an air breathing engine that runs independent of oxygen? You might want to model them after nuclear ramjets. They take any intake gas and heat it by putting it into contact with waste heat from a nuclear reactor. No combustion necessary. Thrust will decrease with decreasing pressure, however this can be offset by running the reactor hotter. You could model this as the engine overheating as it takes in lower density atmosphere.

Incidentally this is also how a NERVA engine works, so if you are so inclined you could include an alternate mode which uses on board fuel for performance in a vacuum. The current stock NERVAs use fuel and oxidizer, however this isn't correct. In reality they only consume hydrogen gas (fuel).

Hi Yeon. Fantastic looking models, your mod really has some potential. I've lurked here for years but you convinced me to join to give you a suggestion regarding your ky engines. So you want an air breathing engine that runs independent of oxygen? You might want to model them after nuclear ramjets. They take any intake gas and heat it by putting it into contact with waste heat from a nuclear reactor. No combustion necessary. Thrust will decrease with decreasing pressure, however this can be offset by running the reactor hotter. You could model this as the engine overheating as it takes in lower density atmosphere.

Incidentally this is also how a NERVA engine works, so if you are so inclined you could include an alternate mode which uses on board fuel for performance in a vacuum. The current stock NERVAs use fuel and oxidizer, however this isn't correct. In reality they only consume hydrogen gas (fuel).

Er, real life NERVAs don't use any intake gas and their thrust increases with decreasing atmospheric pressure, like a regular rocket. They can also use just about any fluid as the propellant, hydrogen just delivers higher Isp at the cost of lower thrust. I think you might be thinking of a nuclear air-augmented rocket, which is an interesting concept but no real life examples exist (yet?).

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for the welcome! And you are right, but I think you misunderstand me. I've taken a few classes on rocketry and aerodynamics, so let me rephrase.

NERVAs and nuclear ramjets both function by passing gas over an extremely hot substrate. NERVAs simply carry their own supply, nuclear ramjets use whatever gas they happen to pick up. I don't know of any examples, but in principle an engine could conceivably be designed to do both. Nuclear ramjets do lose thrust with altitude as there is less atmosphere passing through the engine to be heated and expanded, no different than a normal jet really. I don't know what the thrust profile of a NERVA is in the atmosphere, certainly the plume would be under-expanded in anything more than a vacuum, but I don't think anybody would be crazy enough to try that in reality anyway haha.

And I've never heard of a nuclear air augmented rocket. Sounds interesting.

The current stock NERVAs use fuel and oxidizer, however this isn't correct. In reality they only consume hydrogen gas (fuel).

It's true that the stock engine is wrong, but it's also not correct to say that it only consumes hydrogen.

What's wrong with stock nuclear engine isn't that it uses Liquid Fuel + Oxidizer, what's wrong with it is that the Isp for it is wrong for the density of its propellants.

Nuclear engines can be designed for quite a few different propellants, not to mention LANTR (LOX Augmented Nuclear Thermal Rocket) which injects liquid oxygen into the supersonic exhaust like an afterburner. Methane and ammonia are also good candidate propellants which in spite of their low Isp provide good delta-V and thrust. Water is also a possibility for a propellant. The only problem is that the fuel rods need special coatings to withstand the effects of each propellant, and what works for one will not work for another, especially when it comes to oxidation.

Bob Braeunig has posted quite a bit on the subject of alternate propellants on various forums and the only ones he had issue with were methane and pentaborane as I recall. The former because of carbon deposits fouling the elements (which he later reversed himself on) and the latter because of boron which acts as a neutron moderator.

I found that the space plane can lose control easily, flip around and takes long time to recover,how can I solve this?
the largest cockpit have no stair to hold on, the kerbals will pop out in EVA

I made the j parts have large drag at max angle of attack and this messes up spaceships alot, i think is realistic? but ill lower to suitable values next update alone with fix the eva

Is there any documentation on this mod? I just saw it and started playing around with it and I have a few questions.

How are the KY engines supposed to behave? Are they LQ+O engines or are they intake engines? What is their optimum usage altitude? The Prebuilt Orbital express. How is that supposed to be flown?

thanks!

Im sorry i didnt specify because i also is not very clear about it hahahaha but i do know it's isp in space and ground is lower while around 5-10km in kerbin atmosphere have the best isp. The prebuilt Orbital Express is just an example but it can make suborbital flight, but the engines tend to over heat so keep it below 75%. You can make this ship better by replace 2 turbo jet with nuclear engine and add some rcs controls and with some good flying i made it to a 300km orbit and a safe landing.

afafsa: thanks! i am definitely adding another mode to the engine but still thinking how will it be implemented. I really like this nuclear ramjet idea, but i think is abit too heavy. I was thinking about making the primary a ramrocket, and secondary just rocket. Ill definatly look into the NERVA engine thanks for the suggestion

Loving those large engines and intakes. Is there any chance though, that you could release a version that fits the Mk2 fuselage?

Yes the next update :P i think that will be in two or three weeks

An update to what i been working on:

zyzdQpz.gif

This utility bay has independent opened doors, and a docking port, it can store most stock equipment in it.

Edited by K.Yeon

That new utility bay looks very nice. Any update on FAR compatability?

Yes, on the first page i put goals for the next update, i usually just pick a random one to work on when im free. From what i can see, all i need to adjust for Far is to make a config file that makes all parts have 0 drag, since i dont have any wing parts. I did try to fly the current parts with FAR, and the aircrafts i build still flies ok.

blowfish: you can use ? instead of space in the names ([annoying?part?name?with?spaces]).

Thanks for pointing that out. But I still think it's bad practice to have spaces in the part names. This is particularly true since the name that the game sees (name=) and the name that the player sees (title=) can (and should) be different.

Dammit, man, every time you show a picture of a new part you're developing, that instantly becomes the part that I MUST HAVE RIGHT NOW!!! Lol! :D

That utility bay is excellent, the design provides great functions all in one part. I'm really looking forward to this, along with everything else, of course. :)

:D

Thanks for pointing that out. But I still think it's bad practice to have spaces in the part names. This is particularly true since the name that the game sees (name=) and the name that the player sees (title=) can (and should) be different.

Oh, no argument. I find spaces in part names to be despicable just from a programming perspective.

I call your Normandy and raise you a Mako

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj251/blowfishpro/KSP/2014-11-21_00001_zps605cf224.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj251/blowfishpro/KSP/2014-11-21_00002_zps3c940ad3.jpg

Also for K.Yeon - a bug on the j cockpit - the ladder is oriented the wrong way (kerbals EVA facing forward but should be facing up).

noooo my spaceplane part is being used as a rover ;.; hahaha is cool though

Oh, no argument. I find spaces in part names to be despicable just from a programming perspective.

yes i know :( my teacher once told me about how bad my documentation is for C++ was. I guess i should of listened to him. Im going to write all my configs properly now:confused:

i also discovered a bug: my kerbals headbangs on top of the 8m cargo. But they are happy about it though:D

EWm2msf.gif

Edited by K.Yeon